Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #1927
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The dash pad is relatively easy to remove.

It's good seeing you here again! How's life treating you?

As for how things look, as you noticed by the pictures, I've been messing with bonding ABS. Mine most certainly look terrible now. But given a couple sessions at the shop, these pillars will turn out beautifully.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1928
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.
Why? would you like to meet for lunch tomorrow?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #1929
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Taln nice to see you post man ! Long time no see.
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #1930
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Taln nice to see you post man ! Long time no see.
That's true Taln, where have you been! (O:

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #1931
talnlnky
Audio Junky
 
talnlnky's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 1,412
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
That's true Taln, where have you been! (O:

D.
work 4 tens, take care of the kid on the 5th day while mom is at work, and I generally have trouble moderating my hobbies, so for the sake of my family, i cut back on 97% of my computer usage.

The family is out of town until saturday though, so thats why i started doing install work again, and have time to post on here.

Good news tho.... Got a new laptop, and now my box building software is up and working again, so I can model sub boxes again.
__________________
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #1932
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Exclamation

I did go back to the area under the wipers..., and found out that water drainage is working ok, but the heat from the headers it's making the MLV to change shape... and a couple pieces of Mat came off, I'm assuming the change in temperatures makes the adhesion loose strength.









Ready to add a layer of "heat barrier"





Overlapping this material to get extra layers




MLV behind wipers mechanism... What a difference! specially on rainy days. LOL








Over exposed picture showing air intake on the left side "that little triangle there"



D.

.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #1933
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Thanks! I got it.

now lets get to learn and work... what do you think about these:

"When you are satisfied with the tonality of the system, it is time to start adjusting the left and right channels separately. These adjustments should not affect the tonality, but improve on the imaging and soundstaging. Using the Autosound 2000 Test CD 102 or 103 “My Disk” listen to the individual frequency pink noise tracks. (Test CD103 has the tracks arranged in an easier configuration.) Each frequency band should sound like it is coming from the center of the soundstage. If one band is off to one side, then use each band’s left and right eq controls as a balance control. This is very similar to the head unit’s balance control, only now you are balancing each frequency band by itself. For example if 200 Hz seems to be shifted to the left of center, lower the left 200 Hz band and raise the right 200 Hz band one dB at a time until the band is centered. If a frequency is shifted to the right, lower the band’s right channel and raise the left channel in small amounts." from a DIYMA member.

and this one....


"I must say that all I did was burn a CD that contained 0db tones that matched each one of the 31 bands on my EQ. Then I sat in my car for about 10 minutes and played each tone starting low and going up high. I kept my head perfectly still in the position I would normally drive down the road in.

Then I played each tone and adjusted the R and L EQ (graphic) and just played with cutting the R and then boosting the L and vice versa until I felt the sound was centered. Some bands needed up to +/- 3db and others needed no adjustment at all from what I could hear. And some bands I couldn't honestly resolve.

When I was done, I looked at my EQ and it was a MESS! LOL. Flipping back and forth between L and R yielded no pattern or symmetry at all. I thought, no possible way is this going to sound good. So I put in my Audiophile Female Vocal CD and cranked it up.

WELL SLAP MY A... AND CALL ME CHARLIE!! If Rebecca Pidgeon was 3 feet away from me she was a mile! It honestly felt like I had moved back in my seat, but my head had stayed in the same place the whole time. I estimate my stage moved 3" up and about 1 foot away...practially eliminating the windshield all together. I thought my stage was good before, but I damn near greased my shorts.

And the focus! Oh the focus...like I've never heard. Like scary real! Apparently sound recordings are done in actuall rooms, because it sounds like the singer is contained in a space, rather than just singing into a microphone"
... from another DIYMA member even though he has been banned

D.

.

OK, I did it! (first attempt)

I couldn't test it with normal volume because I was in the garage while the rest of the family was sleeping, so tomorrow I'll try it "out loud"

But from what I could hear at very low volume is... WOW!


I started with my EQ "Flat" and work my way around every tone, some where to the right others to the left and others right on center. My EQ graph end up like crazi!!! I'll get pictures tomorrow (well later today).

Lets see what Why? thinks about it. We are meeting for lunch, but I think he is only interested in the little i6SW and not in front stage or SQ.

Back to tuning Left and right EQ I must say... there is so much to learn out there. And amazes me every time I get positive results.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #1934
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
heh, all about sq. The little sub is amazing, but your system really puts in perspective having a fully functional well working group of high end speakers with a head unit with all the toys to make them shine.

In all the years of being around people that call themselves audiophiles I've never heard a system that literally lets you "see," "feel," and hear exactly where a sound comes from as well and exact as your system does.

It was like going to see a band in a small coffee shop, but for every type of music. I don't know how many artists even thought of systems that sound like this, but listening to it you know the lead singer is in one place, the background singers are in another and the instruments are coming at you from wherever they are.

Every recording was almost intimate, and the music separated itself depending on where it was and what it was doing. Hearing is believing.

Not to mention the sound literally came from the dash, yet the main speakers were in the kick panels and only two little tweeters were up top.

As weird as it is to say, the quality being amazing was almost secondary. I'm used to that. Derick's system sounds just as good as a 5.1 home system. I've had the pleasure of really being able to listen to many, from cheap ones to really high end expensive ones, and for sound quality Derick's car is just as good as any of them.

The only thing that I would do differently is have the sound be more surround. Derick's system is set up to be all up front, literally like the musicians are in mini playing on the dash. And of course with great recordings it sounds so much better than going to see live music.

I love that this system proves you don't need insane volume to have a top notch system. Derick really has built a system that should inspire everyone.

Oh, and then the quiet. Now if you look through the thread on my car you'll see I've pretty much removed everything. Rear seats, seatbelts, the entire cargo area, spare tire, and a few of the plastic side moldings are all gone. I get to here the gas splashing around, every little thing that hits the bottom of the car, and every single little noise the car itself makes. It also takes very little audio volume to fill my car.

Derick's car is the exact opposite. Amazingly quiet. From the windshield wipers, the blower motor for the air, and then almost zero road noise. We took a short drive on the highways and his car is easily lexus quality quiet. And he still gets 43 mpg.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #1935
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Welcome to the world of sound quality! :)

I should show this to Scott...
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #1936
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
heh, all about sq.

Every recording was almost intimate, and the music separated itself depending on where it was and what it was doing. Hearing is believing.

I love that this system proves you don't need insane volume to have a top notch system. Derick really has built a system that should inspire everyone.

Amazingly quiet. From the windshield wipers, the blower motor for the air, and then almost zero road noise. We took a short drive on the highways and his car is easily lexus quality quiet. And he still gets 43 mpg.
Like sqcomp says ... Welcome! to the SQ world!

Yes! we got together with why? today at lunch time, great guy, loves his Yaris, good friend!
and actually why? is a BIG GUY! I even asked him to go on the passengers side and he didn't bother the i6sw enclosure, "quiet comfortable" he said!

Thanks why? !

I appreciate your kind words and as far of inspiration...

When ever you need to get you going (wiring, installing, tips and tricks) just let me know and we'll work on it! you know at least once a week I'm in the area. Let's do a Yaris meet! I know CTScott asked me once to get together in a meet with other Yaris enthusiasts!

Thanks again


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1937
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Welcome to the world of sound quality! :)

I should show this to Scott...
I think you should, I think why? wouldn't mind.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1938
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Done. This testimonial is on a forum specifically for such topics.

Derick...we really need to get you into an L3v2 or an L4v2 to replace that ML-70...
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1939
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
heh, that pic is awesome.

I actually signed up to the hat forums too. Figured that was the best place to see if I could get one used. Although there aren't any dealers anywhere near me, probably aren't any in new england either, heh maybe I should look for someone to build the perfect sub box for it too.

Who knows, my first problem is money. I have something to aspire to now.

although running 400 watts through that sub and you'd never know it. Totally crazy.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple

Last edited by why?; 05-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #1940
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
heh, that pic is awesome.

I actually signed up to the hat forums too. Figured that was the best place to see if I could get one used. Although there aren't any dealers anywhere near me, probably aren't any in new england either, heh maybe I should look for someone to build the perfect sub box for it too.

Who knows, my first problem is money. I have something to aspire to now.

although running 400 watts through that sub and you'd never know it. Totally crazy.

I got my L6s, and L1v2 at DIYMA (NIB) and at a good price. Used come very often and at a really good price!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1941
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
OK, I did it! (first attempt)
I started with my EQ "Flat" and work my way around every tone, some where to the right others to the left and others right on center. My EQ graph end up like crazi!!! I'll get pictures tomorrow (well later today).
D.
This is what Why? got to hear...

New X-Over points:




Left side EQ:




Right side EQ:




EQ combined Left & Right:




D.


.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1942
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Talking

This morning I went to see the ophthalmologist or what ever they call him, after some testing with machines, sealed acoustically rooms, funny noises, rising my hand... I was told that every thing looks fine, I'm in the "normal" side of the graphic, I do within the normal limits I have a small deep around 4kHz.

I guess I can go back tuning now, even though when I play a 16kHz tone I can barely hear it, 20kHz don't ask. Jeje

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1943
patm
 
Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston
Posts: 62
A hearing test provides an evaluation of the sensitivity of a person's sense of hearing and is most often performed by an audiologist
patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #1944
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
^ I know that one. I've had two since I came back from Iraq.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.