Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
Not sure where you are, but my local dealership has the Prius c for $19000, and the lowest Yaris I've seen is between 15 and 16000. With the additional features of the Prius over the Yaris, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
The Prius C One has less features that I like than my Vios, namely cruise control. I only considered getting one because it came in Orange(Habanero) but the wait was three months and they want MSRP. I'm sure I can get another Yaris under MSRP. My '07 one was $15k out the door but thats because my parents bought all the extra warranty crap, should have only been $12k and it came with convenience package and 15" wheels
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
Slasher

Drives: 2012 RED M/T 3DR
I test drove a Prius C... It is decked out Yaris... Features were nice, but when you start talking real numbers or price:

Straight MSRP + options... and I was only able to find a four and one's that had $1200 worth of options... In my test drive my avg mpg was under 50mpg....

one $18950
two $19900
Three $21635
four $23320

Yaris L stick there was room to deal...

$13895 with carpet mats... but first tank was over 41 mpg (real world No interstate...)

So it came down to value... so for a minimum of $6000.00 price difference I should be able to buy 1714 gallons of gas and go over 71000 miles...

Regular Prius some story except...

MSRP starts at $24000 so a difference of over $10,000...

Those # are huge!!! 2857 gal gas for 117,000 miles...

I am not knocking the Prius... It is good for what it designed for... Unfortunately once the batteries are calculated in... I think it is a wash!!!

Just either out of being more green or eco-minded or even status symbol.... I chalk it up to the Green Tax or Value added marketting..,

But in all honesty... I prefer a 3 dr stick over the Prius... The feedback is there, just wish i had the power windows and keyless entry...
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Don't forget every 5 years you must replace the batteries in the Prius! and that's thousands of dollars!

id rather own the diesel Yaris, i bet that would have the same mileage as a Prius.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Why do we keep discussing the Prius?The Yaris is a better deal all the way around.
Maybe someone should start a Priusworld(Riding In A Vagina) Enthusiast Site.

I am not insulting anyone's intellegence,If you have one and are happy,great.

Last edited by 12 yaris; 06-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
I am not insulting anyone's intelligence...
...but you're being insensitive to the feelings of others.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
MOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
they discuss it because it makes them feel better about what they bought, plus the odds of finding a prius owner on here is slim at best.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #26
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
they discuss it because it makes them feel better about what they bought
It's the same way with Yaris owners around here. Things are said that make one feel better about what they bought. You'll find that on any auto forum.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
It's the same way with Yaris owners around here. Things are said that make one feel better about what they bought. You'll find that on any auto forum.
Exactly.

Everyone believes they've made the best choice.
That's why they chose it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Ugh...my dad wants to get a Prius. He has more than enough money to buy whatever car he wants(in cash) and is all about the freaking Prius. I hope he changes his mind!!!

I always pictured my dad retiring with a nice Bentley or some Italian sports-car, I can't picture him rolling in a Prius, it's like a slap in the face.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to work on my Prius voodoo-doll...I need every bit of help I can get to change his mind. ;)
LOL! I don't like the Prius either. It is too big and (given its cost) should be a more inspiring drive in many ways, one being IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION (I know...the CVT = best MPG for most people and supposedly compliments this incantation of the engine best). Even given all of this, THE WORST THING ABOUT THE PRIUS IN MY MIND IS THE FEELING I GET WHILE SITTING IN ONE. Car and Driver referred to the first US produced VW Rabbits as 'THE MALIBUIZATION OF VOLKSWAGEN'. They weren't referring to Malibu, California directly, they were referring to what had happened to the Chevrolet Malibu.....how it has become generic, numbing, stark, and devoid of sufficient design personality, respect, common sense, etc........not being a driver's car. However possibly illogical, this is what I think of when sitting in a Prius. I also feel that coming out with a PRIUS 'WAGON' shows that people who feel as I do aren't targets for these cars.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
The Prius C One has less features that I like than my Vios, namely cruise control. I only considered getting one because it came in Orange(Habanero) but the wait was three months and they want MSRP. I'm sure I can get another Yaris under MSRP. My '07 one was $15k out the door but thats because my parents bought all the extra warranty crap, should have only been $12k and it came with convenience package and 15" wheels
I was at the St. John Town Center in Jacksonville, Florida in April and a local dealership had a Prius C on display in that shade of Orange. It is quite a striking color (in a good way) on that particular car.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Why do we keep discussing the Prius?The Yaris is a better deal all the way around.
Maybe someone should start a Priusworld(Riding In A Vagina) Enthusiast Site.

I am not insulting anyone's intellegence,If you have one and are happy,great.
Perhaps most of the Prius owners in PA are women (or emasculated men?), but this isn't really the vibe in the SF Bay Area...where many people feel as though people (female and many male buyers) are making an intentionally politically correct statement (and an intentionally smug one) buy buying a Prius...and many buyers (one can tell by querying them) know next to nothing about the car.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #31
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
You have just explained why there are so many different kinds of vehicles offered for sale. Everyone has different expectations of what they want in a car. The Yaris and the Prius each appeal to a different kind of person.

I'm a Yaris person... so I go for cheap basic no frills frugal practical economical transportation. So for me the premium on the cost of a Prius would only be a waste of my money.
This ^^^^ , with the key adjectives (for me) being frugal and practical.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
they discuss it because it makes them feel better about what they bought, plus the odds of finding a prius owner on here is slim at best.
Why? I usually agree with you, but not on this one. On this forum alone, think of how many people list 3 or more cars they own. While they might have large families and need those cars and can only afford a Yaris or similar the choices they have made for the other cars they list, I think, tend to discount that possibility. All of the members of my extended family can easily afford a Prius, yet a vast majority of us choose to spend less than the cost of a Prius when purchasing a car.....and I know people outside our family with a greater degree of wealth who go to far greater extremes when it comes to frugality re their cars......I know....I know.....anecdotal evidence. I do, however, agree with you that very few, if any, Prius owners visit Yarisworld.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
LOL! I don't like the Prius either. It is too big and (given its cost) should be a more inspiring drive in many ways, one being IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION (I know...the CVT = best MPG for most people and supposedly compliments this incantation of the engine best). Even given all of this, THE WORST THING ABOUT THE PRIUS IN MY MIND IS THE FEELING I GET WHILE SITTING IN ONE. Car and Driver referred to the first US produced VW Rabbits as 'THE MALIBUIZATION OF VOLKSWAGEN'. They weren't referring to Malibu, California directly, they were referring to what had happened to the Chevrolet Malibu.....how it has become generic, numbing, stark, and devoid of sufficient design personality, respect, common sense, etc........not being a driver's car. However possibly illogical, this is what I think of when sitting in a Prius. I also feel that coming out with a PRIUS 'WAGON' shows that people who feel as I do aren't targets for these cars.
Oops! Too tired......should have written: Chevrolet Malibu....how it HAD become.... (not has become)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I was at the St. John Town Center in Jacksonville, Florida in April and a local dealership had a Prius C on display in that shade of Orange. It is quite a striking color (in a good way) on that particular car.
I also like the Metallic Rain, unexplicable color... it's like blue but not really
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
"Snobs", "emasculated men"....Really? Man you guys are very judgemental. I'd gladly own a Prius or Prius V (and certainly could) and I'm neither snobby and most certainly not emasculated.....and not even a tree-hugger for that matter.

Since some of you seems quite worried about people's perception of you if you drove a Prius, you do understand that you drive a Yaris, right? Many of the "non manly" adjectives that you've used to describe Prius owners can be used to describe Yaris owners too. But you'd have to add "cheap" and/or non-affluent as well....because, outside of YarisWorld which accounts for a tiny portion of actual Yaris owners, most people's perception of the Yaris and the people who drive a Yaris is that it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-car and it's all the person driving it could afford.

I promise you that the "Yaris cool factor" that we like to tout around here is almost completely nonexistent out in the rest of the world.

Oh...for the record...by far, woman out number men, I'd say 10 to 1 as Yaris owners around here anyway. Maybe you guys could hang some of the those big truck-nuts from the back bumper of your Yaris and people might not notice what feminine little shit boxes you drive.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #36
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
"Snobs", "emasculated men"....Really? Man you guys are very judgemental. I'd gladly own a Prius or Prius V (and certainly could) and I'm neither snobby and most certainly not emasculated.....and not even a tree-hugger for that matter.

Since some of you seems quite worried about people's perception of you if you drove a Prius, you do understand that you drive a Yaris, right? Many of the "non manly" adjectives that you've used to describe Prius owners can be used to describe Yaris owners too. But you'd have to add "cheap" and/or non-affluent as well....because, outside of YarisWorld which accounts for a tiny portion of actual Yaris owners, most people's perception of the Yaris and the people who drive a Yaris is that it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-car and it's all the person driving it could afford.

I promise you that the "Yaris cool factor" that we like to tout around here is almost completely nonexistent out in the rest of the world.

Oh...for the record...by far, woman out number men, I'd say 10 to 1 as Yaris owners around here anyway. Maybe you guys could hang some of the those big truck-nuts from the back bumper of your Yaris and people might not notice what feminine little shit boxes you drive.

Wow, you "could" own one if you wanted...you must be hella rich.

On the topic of "cool factor" I'm constantly getting compliments from the general public(often drivers of other modified vehicles) which is something one in 10,000 Prius owners might get...the Yaris is definitely "cooler" than the Prius, no question about it.

The only feminine shitbox around here seems to come from KY.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote