Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
I believe it was specifically manufactured that way so that just one MAF tube would be able to fit both the 1NZ and 1ZZ throttle bodies.

Pretty clever idea, actually.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
I see, thanks for the explanation. That's weird that the intake flares out right before meeting the throttle body. On the K&N it does not flare out so it doesn't require a reduced coupler.
It just occurred to me that you could use your K&N with a 1ZZ throttle body. All it would take is a 2.25" to 2.5" silicone adaptor with the larger end put onto your throttle body.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
ljming99
 
Drives: Yaris '06
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 73
My memory is probably quite bad, not sure if the original tubing is hugging the battery.

Any issues there? i see from the picture that the grey tubing is up against the battery.
ljming99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
The tubing touches the corner of the battery because the tooter manifold relocates the throttle body a couple of inches to the right. However, it doesn't cause any problems as there isn't enough pressure on the corner to kink the tubing.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
The first run of redesigned adaptors is done. The advantage of these are that just one part works for both the 48mm 1NZ FE throttle bodies and the larger 51mm 1ZZ FE throttle bodies...



There was a clearance issue with one of the hex head bolts and the larger diameter throttle body gasket. The solution was to simply reduce the diameter of the head with a grinder...



The larger 1ZZ FE gasket fits perfectly. Just finished bead blasting, and it's ready to install on a manifold.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Again with the car pr0n! Looks great, too!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Have you done a test fit yet to make sure the 1NZ TB seals properly on the car running?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Have you done a test fit yet to make sure the 1NZ TB seals properly on the car running?
Not yet, as I just got the adaptors this afternoon...
The 3mm larger diameter O ring gasket means a perimeter radius difference of only 1.5mm larger all the way around which isn't a lot.



The 1NZ FE throttle body base has a much larger flat area on it's base than that. I'll be running a new adaptor this coming week to confirm that everything works.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
I'm very interested to see if this makes power with the 1zz throttle body, which it should.

Keep up the good work!
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
One tooter manifold with the redesigned adaptor adapter is now complete...
















Now just one 51mm bore adaptor plate fits both the 1NZ FE and 1ZZ FE throttle bodies.

The tooter uses all of the stock Toyota head bolts, studs, and nuts, and the stock Toyota O ring manifold gasket. It uses a Toyota 1ZZ FE throttle body O ring gasket which works fine with the smaller 1NZ FE throttle body, and uses all of the stock throttle body studs, nuts, and bolt. The manifold flange is hand clearanced fit to the head perfectly and simply drops right in.

Not too bad for a wrecked dirty 14 year old junkyard part.

It requires the intake to be shortened because the throttle body is repositioned about 2 inches to your right as you're looking at the engine from the front of the car.

Last edited by tooter; 11-13-2012 at 12:02 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Looks great! When is dyno day?
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Soon... :)
Whenever I can find some time off from work. Lately, I've been swamped. This time it's going to be back to back runs on the same day to get an apples to apples comparison. I still need to work on adapting the BLOX velocity stack intake to eliminate the 90 degree bend while still fitting in the available space. I already have the new design down, and the raw materials have arrived, but I still need to find the time to cut and fit everything together.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
Are you using a 1ZZ throttle body now for everyday driving? How's that working out?
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/20 NEVER FORGET View Post
Are you using a 1ZZ throttle body now for everyday driving? How's that working out?
No. I only have the stock 1NZ FE throttle body that came with my car.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #15
jetblast
 
Drives: Gen 1 XB
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 72
Can't believe I had missed this thread. Awesome job Tooter. I have a Weapon R intake manifold, and a Gude bored out T/B if ya want to add it to your dyno test pulls. :) Probably going to have to purchase the DIY kit from you seeing as how I have a 1ZZ manifold laying around....and a turbo waiting to go onto that. Would be interesting to once and for all "expose" what some of these parts do. Thanks to all for the great read!
jetblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast View Post
Can't believe I had missed this thread. Awesome job Tooter. I have a Weapon R intake manifold, and a Gude bored out T/B if ya want to add it to your dyno test pulls. :) Probably going to have to purchase the DIY kit from you seeing as how I have a 1ZZ manifold laying around....and a turbo waiting to go onto that. Would be interesting to once and for all "expose" what some of these parts do. Thanks to all for the great read!
That idea of testing the Weapon R is intriguing and I'd be curious as to how it works, but sorry, I already pay enough for my own testing. It would be nice if Weapon R published dyno tests of their own manifolds.

I'm going to be doing back to back stock manifold/tooter dyno runs on the same day this coming week if I can get off of work.

The tooter Do-It-Yourself kits are available for $250 +$12 shipping.



...and you can build your own.




If you are interested you can either PM me here, or call 310-455-3340, or email me at: greggabi@verizon.net

Last edited by tooter; 11-17-2012 at 01:53 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
jetblast
 
Drives: Gen 1 XB
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 72
Doh! Realized after I re-read what I posted that I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to dump testing costs on you....sorry. When I get back from this tour I'll touch base with you on the purchase. I can gear up on my end and test both manifolds with/and without turbo. My personal taste is gonna be polishing that beast. Thanks again for some great brain food!
Greetings from a place in the world where everyone hates us. :)
jetblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast View Post
Doh! Realized after I re-read what I posted that I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to dump testing costs on you....sorry. When I get back from this tour I'll touch base with you on the purchase. I can gear up on my end and test both manifolds with/and without turbo. My personal taste is gonna be polishing that beast. Thanks again for some great brain food!
Greetings from a place in the world where everyone hates us. :)
Hey, no problem, jet,

Didn't know you're in the Military. I did a tour in 'nam so I know what it's like. Keep safe and come home in one piece.

Polished would look super. With those shiny pipes snaking around, your engine will look like a formula 1 racer.

Take Care,

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.