Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #2089
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
Derick, this is your little sub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8yArcObFZI

Amazing "output", but I'm sure this setup would be garbage for "response".

Yeah! that's the one, but mine lives in a smaller box with 0.35cf and a 15" long 2" Dia. port (Just what HAT recommends) and with 300 watts more.

The feeling of the music coming at you from the front feels so natural, the Bass hits my chest, not the seat, and I love it!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #2090
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
a long time ago...

... in a galaxy far far away... ( as in: the early 90's )

I was checking out some gear in a local car audio shop. I was testing some subs in a truck. I tried some 10's in boxes. I tried some Bazooka tubes.
10" Bazooka tubes were too big to fit anywhere. Tried the 8", it was okay.
Then I tried two of the 6" Bazooka tubes. Bass was SWEET. Very musical and smooth. Smooth and tight at the same time. Problem was, they were not loud at all. GREAT SQ.... no SPL at all really.

I seen some Sundown Audio 8's. Them things are AWESOME.
They like the power though.

I'm definately getting more into SQ over SPL these days.
I don't listen to music that loud, and I hate boomy bass that you can hear coming down the street. I don't want that in my car.
I like clean, punchy sound IN my car. Since switching to those Infinity's, I got it. Those Infinity's are efficient. They work good with lower power.
Picked `em up for $60 each. Well worth it.
I'm sure two TypeR 10's in a sealed box would be great too, but I would need a 900w amp to push them.

So many different ways to go. Too many choices really.
I just gotta get that Roadkill in there... and then I will be happy and content.
__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #2091
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
SQ: So.... is the new "fad" TRANSMISSION LINE boxes now?

Seems like the stuff Bose has been doing for awhile. What they refer to as: "acoustic waveguide technology"

__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2092
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
It does seem to be the thing. I'm not taking part in it...

I'm looking at an Imagine 10 SW in a sealed enclosure while I wait for the Legatia 13.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #2093
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
What ever happened to Image Dynamics? I remember you used to love those subs.

SonicElectronix is selling ID subs now. ( They have been for awhile )

__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #2094
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
ID? Oooohhh....Sensitive subject.

The originals were forced out by the main financer IIRC. ID has gone the way of PG when Ronin bought it out.

Not the same.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #2095
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Yikes. Bad politics on the ID thing.
Remember when Lanzar was high-end boutique? They sold-out too.

You must be running all HAT drivers now anyway, huh. You like the subs they offer?
I was on their website checking them out. Was kinda funny, because the description of the Imagine 10 was very close to the Infinity Reference 10 I just got.
Higher Xmax rating on the Imagine 10, but very similar design. Stamped basket, rubber surround, poly cone, 2" voice coil. About same power requirements.
The Imagine sub has aluminum voice coil. Infinity is copper.
I'll bet the Imagine's aren't selling for $60 though.

__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #2096
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Naw...the I10s aren't the same I can guarantee that. That being said, I'm looking at working with one later this year. I just have to sell my 15" to afford it now.

I've worked the trim pieces for the door panels. I'll be hanging the door panels by Wednesday next week. I've got to clean the garage and get the carpet down in the car.

I'm working on the only true bug in the system now...
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #2097
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Naw...the I10s aren't the same I can guarantee that.
I'm sure they're not, but I don't see what the significant differences are. ( Besides the obvious inverted surround )
( Must be little secret details.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
That being said, I'm looking at working with one later this year. I just have to sell my 15" to afford it now.
A 15" in the Yaris? Did you just free-air it in the trunk on a baffle board? Them things take a HUGE box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I've worked the trim pieces for the door panels. I'll be hanging the door panels by Wednesday next week. I've got to clean the garage and get the carpet down in the car.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get going on the sound deadening. Excited to see how much of a difference it makes. I'm using the Stinger Roadkill Expert stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I'm working on the only true bug in the system now...
Which is WHAT exactly?
__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #2098
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'll get Scott to chime in on the engineering and building differences between the I10 and the Infinity if that's okay. I don't want to say somthing that is incorrect regarding the HAT product.

The 15 was sealed in the trunk. That's where it worked the best for me. Facing toward the trunk lid. I still have the glass spare tire well wenclosure as well as the pre-fab enclosure for it. At this point I'd throw them both in for free. I need space in my garage.

I love the Stinger Roadkill Expert. If you go with foam, the Overkill is THE shit.

The bug? Turn of sequence for my source, processor and amps.

I apologize about the crappy iPhone 3gs camera. It's a fee phone so I don't complain (too much). Hopefully I can get the new 5 through a set of unfortunate accidents with this current phone. :P




^Painted trim ring.


^Trim ring with the grill mesh. I'll permanently attach them tonight and let them sit until everything is cured.

Oh yeah...I forgot about the dash. I'll take a couple pics and throw those up.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine

Last edited by sqcomp; 09-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #2099
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
That's cool with me if Scott wants to get into the technical aspects of his subs. I was just curious, but it's not something I need to know.

I got started on the Roadkill job this morning, then it got too hot so I had to quit. I got the drivers door finished at least.
The plan is to tackle the passenger door this evening when the sun goes down. I'm working in my driveway. No shade or anything.

Roadkill is easy to cut and work with, but the whole job is very time-consuming. I've got over 2 hours on this one door.
Tomorrow I plan to do the rear speaker areas. I will be using some filler-foam back there after I apply the Roadkill pieces.
I can already tell a big difference on this one door. Just giving it a "thump-test", it sounds way different than the other side which has not been done yet.
Can't wait to get the whole thing done, then take it for a cruise.

Here's a quick pic of the progress. I wasn't quite finished at this point, but you get the idea. I tried to get the stuff on the outer skin, as well as the inner skin.

__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #2100
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
2 more hours.... passenger door DONE.

I still have a long way to go. Gotta do the rear speaker areas, the hatch, and the spare tire area. Going to chip away at it again tomorrow.
I'll be glad when it's done.

A quick pic of the new Infinity's: ( nothing like a $25 pre-fab sealed box, huh )


__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #2101
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Does it work? Yes? Then there's nothing wrong with it.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #2102
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Does it work? Yes? Then there's nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, it's working great.

I just figured a pre-fab box is very boring for you. So I was making a little joke.

Truth is, I can't build a box for what these cost. So i'm just being cheap and lazy, but it gets the job done.
I want good music in my car, and I don't want to have to slave away for days or weeks to get it.
I'm not in the "custom car audio business", nor do I compete.

Custom boxes are sweet, but not necessary for me.

Another truth is... I hate having to do the Roadkill. But this car needs it, so I have to suck it up and do it.
"Road noise" is seriously getting in the way of my music.
After living with this for awhile, I decided something has to be done about it.
I would rather not have to do it, but it needs it.

I love high-end competition audio systems. But I don't have the desire to do this in my car. If the music is strong and clean, i'm happy. That's all I need.
__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2103
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
You know what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You know if D or I can help you, let us know.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #2104
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Another 2 hours spent... one more section done.

Rear speaker area on the drivers side: ( yes, that's a 6 1/2" coax )



Acoustic foam to finish it off:

__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #2105
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Watch out for mold or mildew coming off the foam in a couple years. Not saying it will happen, just beware of the potential.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #2106
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent
 
Alien Mantis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Watch out for mold or mildew coming off the foam in a couple years. Not saying it will happen, just beware of the potential.
Yeah, I can see where that could be a concern.

Out here in Arizona, it's hot and dry. I shouldn't have any issues with mold in there, but I was a little concerned about that stuff catching on fire.
I think it will be okay though.

If I lived in a colder damp climate, mold and mildew could certainly form in there over time.
As always, your insight is appreciated.

All I have left to do now is the rear hatch area and lid.
I should be able to get to that tomorrow morning.

I didn't like messing with those rear interior panels. They are kinda tricky.
Gotta be careful not to break any clips. I just had to take my time.
__________________
www.sonicelectronix.com for all your mobile audio needs!
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.