Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
only thing you might have to deal with is the waterpump. mine went out at 75k miles. dealership wanted $450 to replace it....no thanks. i bought one for $40 and had local mechanic install it for $120 labor.
Wow. If my water pump goes out would I be able to duplicate that low cost for the part? I guess I mean, was it at a parts store, or was it a one time opportunity for that particular situation (Craigslist, etc.)?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Wow. If my water pump goes out would I be able to duplicate that low cost for the part? I guess I mean, was it at a parts store, or was it a one time opportunity for that particular situation (Craigslist, etc.)?
I've replaced water pumps by myself. On some cars (not sure about Yaris), you just replace the pump-core of it and a gasket. The actual part that bolts to the block (the housing or whatever) doesn't ever get replaced really.

But the pulley and the blades inside begin to rattle or loosen causing the water pump to fail on you... It was like 25$ for the insert that you replace, with the gasket.
See:

The pulley wheel that the serpentine belt goes on, attaches to the triangle wheel with holes on it. The other 6 holes mount up to the water pump housing.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=water+pump
If that link works, it'll show you the price...

Loosening the bolts on the pulley wheel was hard, but the rest of it was downhill. I'd never pay someone to do that for me.

Really the only thing I'd complain about is expensive reoccurring parts that I can't do in my driveway/street. Example: Transmission.

EDIT:

Yeah the yaris one is 40$ and it's the exact same set up almost:
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post
Our tC is automatic. Is the clutch pedal stiff or soft? Pumping a clutch all day can suck if the clutch is firm.

Also, anyone know what the other poster meant by buy a 09 or later because earlier models are barebone? I looked at an 07 and it had a cd player, automatic windows/locks... Perhaps he meant something else.
In addition to the new 5-door liftback, all 2009 Yaris models come standard with anti-lock brakes (ABS), front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear curtain side airbags. Toyota also added cruise control as an option on liftback models, and has added a few more color choices.

Also, split rear seats and fwd/backward adjustable rear seat, giving you a very flat cargo area when folding down the rear seats are only available in the 5 door, which did not exist until 2009.

And my 07? Manual window cranks, outside mirrors that can only be adjusted from OUTSIDE, and cruise control and keyless entry were dealer installed and not even available as factory option.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
In addition to the new 5-door liftback, all 2009 Yaris models come standard with anti-lock brakes (ABS), front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear curtain side airbags. Toyota also added cruise control as an option on liftback models, and has added a few more color choices.

Also, split rear seats and fwd/backward adjustable rear seat, giving you a very flat cargo area when folding down the rear seats are only available in the 5 door, which did not exist until 2009.

And my 07? Manual window cranks, outside mirrors that can only be adjusted from OUTSIDE, and cruise control and keyless entry were dealer installed and not even available as factory option.
No cruise control sort of sucks...
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
No cruise control sort of sucks...
ct_scott sells the factory cruise control stalk for $40 shipped - you can always hit him up.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I've replaced water pumps by myself. On some cars (not sure about Yaris), you just replace the pump-core of it and a gasket. The actual part that bolts to the block (the housing or whatever) doesn't ever get replaced really.

But the pulley and the blades inside begin to rattle or loosen causing the water pump to fail on you... It was like 25$ for the insert that you replace, with the gasket.
See:

The pulley wheel that the serpentine belt goes on, attaches to the triangle wheel with holes on it. The other 6 holes mount up to the water pump housing.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=water+pump
If that link works, it'll show you the price...

Loosening the bolts on the pulley wheel was hard, but the rest of it was downhill. I'd never pay someone to do that for me.

Really the only thing I'd complain about is expensive reoccurring parts that I can't do in my driveway/street. Example: Transmission.

EDIT:

Yeah the yaris one is 40$ and it's the exact same set up almost:
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
i see you are in montgomery county. i actually bought my waterpump at advance auto parts in conroe. aftermarket brand was gmb.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i see you are in montgomery county. i actually bought my waterpump at advance auto parts in conroe. aftermarket brand was gmb.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Accessory Belt @ 180K, spark plugs way past 100K and oil changes roughly every 5000 miles

FYI: my LB is at 227K and is an automatic, I drive 100miles+ mon-fri and this bad boy runs strong!

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
Accessory Belt @ 180K, spark plugs way past 100K and oil changes roughly every 5000 miles

FYI: my LB is at 227K and is an automatic, I drive 100miles+ mon-fri and this bad boy runs strong!
How long have your tires lasted on average and how many MPG do you get?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
^^^ well hard to answer Ive had five sets of wheels, but the two sets of 15" drag wheels/tires did much better than the tires my 17" 5zigens or TRD 18's, but overall the tires do last quite a bit and i have a stock set which are like new..mileage is good mid to high 30's easy, but never really kept track.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
^^^ well hard to answer Ive had five sets of wheels, but the two sets of 15" drag wheels/tires did much better than the tires my 17" 5zigens or TRD 18's, but overall the tires do last quite a bit and i have a stock set which are like new..mileage is good mid to high 30's easy, but never really kept track.
I like the way the wheels look in your pic as well. There are so many options with a white car. You and Tooter have each made great Yaris modifications.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #31
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
How is the automatic transmissions though?

Most of my problems I've ever had with a car, and if the car was automatic, was the transmission. It's like they can never keep up with even daily 15 mile driving. I've only had 4 automatic cars in my life, the other 8-10 cars I've owned/own, are all manual.

Those automatics were a 96 accord, the current 97 saturn Sl, a dodge stratus, and the current Scion tC my wife owns.
-The tC's automatic transmission appears to be bullet proof after 200,000 miles.
The others I maintained fluid/filter changes, and they just turn into crap...

My manual cars, there was never a problem I couldn't fix. 94 manual saturn, tercel 4efte swapped, civic wagovan, s10 blazer, crx, ford probe, fiero, etc...

I just don't know how to work on transmissions, plus I feel like if I have to pull it out of the engine bay to keep fixing it, it's not worth fixing or keeping the car...

So yeah I'm aiming for a new/newER used car, hoping it has an automatic that'll last for my liking.
I have an automatic, bought it used last year, currently has 47K on it, not much i know, but ive put about 19K miles on it, other than oil changes and usual maintainance i havent had any repairs.
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #32
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
i have an 07 lb auto 58,000 miles on it. only regular oil changes, tires last year thats all.i get about 38 mpg in the summer with no a/c on, drops to about 35 mpg with it on. i have the split folding rear seats that do lie flat and always have the rear seats down to make a nice large area for my 87 pound labrador. probably will spring for a new battery before winter just for my own peace of mind. trouble free basically so far
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote