Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #73
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Had a Versa as a rental when I test-drove both the Yaris and Fit. Out of the three, the Yaris was a clear win.
The Versa is the worst car ever. The ones I test drove were absolutely awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldor View Post
Ah, you aren't too old, you're just spoiled:D They're funny these cultural differences. I've never driven an AT car and I only know one guy who owns one. Even though the AT additional fee is usually moderate, people here rather opt for a better engine or xenons, auto climate control, foglights or stuff like that. AT comes at the bottom of the "most desired" list. I too can't imagine myself driving an auto, but i would rather spend the saved money on ski tickets or something though.
I was going to get the MT but I don't see the point in getting one in such a low powered car. If It were fun to hold a lower gear I'd see the point, but this car just gets loud and not that fast.

As for the Yaris in general, I'm happy with it but wish it had a 5th gear for the AT. The humming of 4th at 3000-ish rpm is annoying. The highway fuel economy is kind of meh.

I'm not a fan of how touchy the damn throttle is. I find myself driving way too fast.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #74
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
I've looked at everything else in it's class and some bigger cars like the corolla since I picked up my yaris in '08 and still nothing else appeals more. The mazda2 is close, but its freeway noise is more, mechanicals are questionable, and the arch in the front fender and smiley face grill have not grown on me yet. Fiesta-horribly low tech engine from the 90's-timing belt, really. Just check their forum-it is made in Mexico after all. Fiat 500-made in mexico-enough said. Fit, too much of a little wagon to me-yes, I too see the small minivan look. I could not have lived with the seat material everything sticks too. But the breaker was the very firm ride of the Fit-can't deal with it. 2012 yaris-well, it has enough quirks that it's growing on me
The Yaris having a timing chain was another consideration I added as a pro when weighing pro vs. con.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #75
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
I don't have a yaris but I recommended to my mom to buy a fit (which she did) over a yaris 1.5 year ago, and since then I drove both cars a lot (we have a fleet of Yaris at my delivery place), and I would now recommend the Yaris over the fit, although they both have defaults and the fit my mom got was still a good deal. The fit had a 2500$ reduction (brand new 2009, bought in 2010) and with the different prices and packages in Canada, it was cheaper than a 5 door Yaris 2010 (there were no more 2009) with AC.

The fit feels a bit more sporty at first, but it the end, it's annoying. The suspension is too stiff to be really comfortable but the car still takes some roll in the curves, the steering is a bit sharper, but the turning radius is much bigger (about 3 feets maybe, but I drove both mostly in town and you feel the difference a lot when doing u turns and such for delivery), and it's a bit over assisted, at highway speeds the fit steering is over reactive and you have to be careful. And the fit MT has really close gears, it's cool for spirited driving or around town, but on the highway the engine noise is annoying and the MPG sucks.

So, the yaris with it's longer gearbox is a bit less quick around town but the vvti still makes a good job, and it's a bit more quiet on the freeway (and you get better mpg), the electric steering on the hatchback is really nice. On the downside, the gearbox is more slushy and the cargo room is obviously much smaller. And despite it's minivan look, the fit is the same height as the yaris hatchback and you sit a bit lower.

Otherwise, road noise (not engine noise) and seat comfort seem to be about the same but I haven't really driven the yaris on the highway for extended periods since we only drive around town for work. Actually I dislike the seats in both cars (I'm tall and there not enough leg room), but the ones in the yaris seem to be a bit better for a long drive. Also, they both have a crappy drive by wire system, when I take the remaning echo hatchback at work (with a throttle cable and no power steering), it's a blast to drive compared to the yaris, but it's noisy and less comfy. But in the end, the yaris isn't great anywhere, but not bad anywhere either (except for cargo room), while the fit's qualities (more fun to drive) are also it's biggest defaults, it's less homogen.

I'm waiting the yaris 3 with impatience, hopefully we will replace some of the older yaris at work for one (which also means that they will ditch the echo hatchback 2005, sadly).
Otherwise, I never drove a Yaris sedan, it seems to be fine but I believe that it's a bit less responsive than the hatchback, then I would simply get a Corolla instead (they are now only 600$ extra in Canada).

But the seats are really important to me, and it's personnal taste. I have driven 25 000 miles in my ex Geo Metro 1.0 (mixed city and highway) in a year and a half, with some trips, and I never had any back pain. After 1.5 hour in the fit, I start to have some pain.

I'm 6 feet 3 and they all miss leg room to be comfortable, which is a non sense in the fit and the versa since there is still so much leg room in the back. For front room, I don't see any clear winner or loser in the category. The best small car is by far the mini (you can slide the seats rearward untill they touch the rear seats), but it's 10k$ more...
I wish we had some european sub compacts (renault clio, VW polo and such), I'm pretty sure they have more leg room.

Leg room is the only reason why I bought my geo metro and then my Civic '99 instead of a Tercel/echo/yaris/corolla. The Prius 3 finally has significantly more leg room than the previous one, I hope that the next gen Corolla and Yaris will be the same way. Otherwise, tall people need to get a Camry to be comfortable (which my father did 13 yars ago, since the corolla wasn't big enough).

Do I really see a Civic shuttle 84-87 in your avatar? It's your? I had one (87 4wd) for a while, I sold it because it was rubbish and not so reliable, but it's a blast in a snow storm (I've done some ice lapping too) and the interior room is better than in the fit despite the lack of magic seats and the awd system. I measured both cars in every ways and the Civic was better everywhere (by almost a foot from the dash to the trunk lid) but in height (exact same), I measured so I can bring my motorcycle home (2x700km drive), the bike fitted in the car simply with the front passenger seat removed. I wonder how Honda made so many great civic (from the 4wd shuttle to the Type R) and now they make crap. Newer Civic are not fun to drive anymore, have nothing innovative and the materials quality is really lower than before. And they still have rusty rear fenders (for the 01-05 at least).
The engine noise was also a con to me re the Fit.......and the turning radius was also a major draw to me re the Yaris.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #76
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I only wish it was 2007 now because we are spoiled for choice.Look at what's on offer at this segment.Better versions of the: Accent, Rio, Fit, Mazda 2,Fiesta and of course the Yaris.Companies are putting it down son.It's so tempting to get another hatch ??( matbe a few years down the track).But i have no regrets i love my Yaris it has never let me down.I have been impressed with it so far after 5 years of service.I would find it hard to part with my Yari
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #77
Aldor

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 Cool Luna
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I was going to get the MT but I don't see the point in getting one in such a low powered car. If It were fun to hold a lower gear I'd see the point, but this car just gets loud and not that fast.
I see your point and agree that there are better car choices for a spirited driver. But I would add that the MT/AT choice is not entirely to the one's driving style but also to the types of roads one uses. I think I would quickly go mad at AT gear choices on twisty and/or hilly roads which i often use. I don't really drive fast nor overtake a lot but I do like fluid driving and I think ability to choose the gears manually helps very much with that. It also helps with the fuel economy.

Of course on the highways I simply shift up to the 5th and keep it there for the duration of the trip so it's no different than having an AT.
Aldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #78
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The engine noise was also a con to me re the Fit.......and the turning radius was also a major draw to me re the Yaris.
The high price and the huge racket it makes at freeway speeds turned me off to the Fit. It does handle better than our cars, though, and it it's immensely roomy. But for the price, I would buy something else.

I sort of liked the Versa (it's really big inside for a small car) but they seem to be poorly made for a Japanese car, and finding one with an MT shift and Cruise is hard. (if Yaris got totaled, I would likely get one)

The Scion twins were nice, too, but xB was really expensive. I found an xA I liked, but the guy didn't want to come to the price I wanted to be at, so I bought a nice little Yaris sedan.

Aveos are trash.

Accent/Rio was nicer than the Aveo, but still terrible.

If I could go back in time, I still would likely buy a Yaris. I wish I would have inspected it better to know that it had been in a not-so-serious accident, but otherwise I'm 100% happy with my car.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #79
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
The high price and the huge racket it makes at freeway speeds turned me off to the Fit. It does handle better than our cars, though, and it it's immensely roomy. But for the price, I would buy something else.

I sort of liked the Versa (it's really big inside for a small car) but they seem to be poorly made for a Japanese car, and finding one with an MT shift and Cruise is hard. (if Yaris got totaled, I would likely get one)

The Scion twins were nice, too, but xB was really expensive. I found an xA I liked, but the guy didn't want to come to the price I wanted to be at, so I bought a nice little Yaris sedan.

Aveos are trash.

If I could go back in time, I still would likely buy a Yaris. I wish I would have inspected it better to know that it had been in a not-so-serious accident, but otherwise I'm 100% happy with my car.
You mean the Versa sounds about right for a mexican car. Japan is way across the ocean, nowhere near mexico. Weird how you got those confused.

t
Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #80
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Why? (Just curious re when I do replace my 07.......If my question is too nosy, please feel free to say you'd rather not say )
Hey nook,

You're never nosey.
I really like the 2nd gen jellybean look over the ugly 3rd gen pinched front and bulbous protruding taillights.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #81
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Hey nook,

You're never nosey.
I really like the 2nd gen jellybean look over the ugly 3rd gen pinched front and bulbous protruding taillights.
Thanks. I really value your opinion, and I just wanted to know (re future purchase consideration) if your reason was mechanical or ergonomic (meaning something I would need to put on a con list during consideration). I do like the 2nd gen look better as well, but I do like that the 3rd gen is still distinctive (in a different way).
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #82
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post

Aveos are trash.

I've sat in a few different Versas at car shows. Each time I shut the door....not a good sound. Overall (for some reason I can't completely put my finger on...an overall feeling of cheapness? poor construction?)...it reminds me of the old VW Fox. That similarity is NOT a good thing.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #83
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Thanks. I really value your opinion, and I just wanted to know (re future purchase consideration) if your reason was mechanical or ergonomic (meaning something I would need to put on a con list during consideration).
I like everything except the body style. When I'm driving I can't see the outside of the car so it's all good.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #84
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I like everything except the body style. When I'm driving I can't see the outside of the car so it's all good.
The 3rd Gen body style is growing on me (both 3-door and 5-door). The only 3 things I can think of (off the top of my head) that I really dislike about the 3rd Gen are: 1. The two tone seats (not an improvement over the arguably lamentable 'polka dot'...but both 2nd and 3rd Gen = easily corrected via aftermarket covers, or less easily by seat replacement) 2. Miss the 'old school' keyed latch (like mine) for the hatch (a relatively minor issue) 3. The dash (as previously mentioned on this thread....but I left out that this has nothing to do with the change re location of the instrumentation).
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #85
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
I don't think I'd change anything. I'd still buy gnar gnar, because I ended up finding a car I like modifying, and plan on keeping. I'm notorious for buying cars and selling them, and I don't plan on it this time. And besides, it made me buy the 3rd gen! I still end up buying and selling / trading cars on the side, but I kept the yarii as my daily drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #86
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
honestly... in retrospect, i would've gone with the fit. but it was too expensive for what it is, so i went with the next best thing which also happens to be within budget - my '12 yaris.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #87
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
this is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
You know...at first I didn't like the Yaris, I wished that we had got a Fit instead. To me, the Fit was a better car all around and it probably still is.

But once I started to drive the Yaris I got attached to it, it's like the Yaris has personality to it, it has character. The Fit is probably the better car, but I don't see myself becoming as attached to it as my Yaris. The Yaris makes me feel happy whenever I drive it, that's a quality not many cars have...but to me it's what makes the Yaris special.

Plus, the Yaris is more rare in my area, so it's like i'm driving a unique car.
+1 exactly it THIS IS IT ahhh
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #88
bairjo

To answer the original question...yes. In fact I have my second Yaris now. These things are so easy to maintain and work on. As far as fuel economy, I could have spent almost another 10K on a prius for just a few more mpg...i don't think so...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #89
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
+1 exactly it THIS IS IT ahhh
+1....except Yari are no longer rare in my area.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #90
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
To answer the original question...yes. In fact I have my second Yaris now. These things are so easy to maintain and work on. As far as fuel economy, I could have spent almost another 10K on a prius for just a few more mpg...i don't think so...
+1