Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
If someone tailgates me for a couple of miles I'll do that (slow down more) . If I'm on a one lane in each direction road and someone does that, I'll tap my brakes to get them to back off.
Yeah, I suppose I wait a couple of miles since I wait a couple of minutes.

Does tapping your brakes work? For me it doesn't.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
To squeeze out miles in your Yaris involves many variables (speed, distances, driving style, terrain, temperature, climate, etc). Depending on how much you want to gain from hypermiling, the three most important factors are 1. speed, 2. distance, and 3. driving style. Not necessarily in this order. 1. 'Speed' is crucial for MPG. Slow, slow, slow. Driving at 55mph and under will limit the aerodynamic drag that starts at around 56mph. Most gas mileage is lost driving over 55mph. 2. Driving longer 'distances' than shorter gets more MPG. For example, if some one drove 8 miles rountrip for work as compared to someone who drives 30 miles roundtrip, with the same variables (road, lights, time of day, traffic, temperature, etc) the 8 miler will get less MPG. A car needs time to heat up. With short distances the car cannot maximize fuel efficiency. My commute to work is around 15-16 miles one way. To gain good gas mileage I found that the 15 mile mark or more is watch you need for good FE. When I stayed at my dad's house two weeks one summer, I was only 3 miles away from work. I got horrible gas mileage, but I didn't have to fill my tank as much 3. Driving style is the easiest if the other two cannot be followed. Slow take off, glide braking to light and stop signs (break tapping decelaration) in top gear, timing of lights and signs with roll, fast gear cycling at low RPM's (manual only), DFCO if hilly terrain, minimum a/c and defrost use. These are just several gas efficient modes with user driving. They go against the popular driving style of most people from how they learn to drive, which waste gas! Changing driving habits just alone and sticking with it, will make a big difference in MPG. Like a diet it’s hard to stick with and change how we do things, though.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Yup, I got personal training from BailOut. However, after a year or so of following how he taught me to drive, I experimented myself. For some reason, I get better mpg if I just let my throttle stay at 24% vs driving 55 mph. The same goes with drafting semi trucks, I get better mpg if I stay at 24% and let the road determine my speed.

I figure it has something to do with the way my car is set up. lol. I just don't accelerate hard (unless needed), utilize DFCO when ever possible, and use FAS when possible. Just the basic hypermiling tricks. lol
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yeah, I suppose I wait a couple of miles since I wait a couple of minutes.

Does tapping your brakes work? For me it doesn't.
Sometimes .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Sometimes .
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
Try driving in the 'green zone'

My nephew bought a large displacement sports car. But he also drives to max his mpg (I know it sounds dubious, right?). He let his girl friend drive it for a week...she was very angry at the extremely low mpg she got. He drove it the following week and got more than double the mpg! He decided that she was not going to be allowed to drive it any more.
A friend of mine owns a Corvette ZR1 and averaged about 30mpg on his trip from the west coast to MN. A friend of his also owns a ZR1 and can barely average 10-12 mpg. It all depends on how you drive.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
yaris0985

Drives: yaris sedan 09
I drove 28 miles exactly (house/daycare/work)
12miles highway / 4 miles daycare "city" / 12 miles highway

55mph is gonne be dangerous for me to go at this speed...
the people go at least 62-68mph.

p.s: I you see DP in my fuelly that's mean "Delivery Pizza"
delivery+ highway back home
yaris0985 is offline   Reply With Quote