Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
I often hear people using "I" when it should clearly be "me" as in: This is a photo of my wife and I.

Recently, it seems popular to misuse the word "utilize" when "use" is the correct term. Most people think the two words are interchangeable (but they are not) and using utilize instead of use somehow makes them appear smarter.

New design terms: paint-out; change-out.

Should have went...

Return back...
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Should have went
Another cringeworthy error. I find people who use went rather than gone prone to error filled speech.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
chriswf
 
Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 36
Geez. I didn't just buy a dependable fuel efficient car. I feel like this car carries a title...

I bought the title of speech and grammar police (or English teacher).

Taking my Yaris back tomorrow and getting a Ford truck.
(I kid, I kid...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post
Geez. I didn't just buy a dependable fuel efficient car. I feel like this car carries a title...

I bought the title of speech and grammar police (or English teacher).

Taking my Yaris back tomorrow and getting a Ford truck.
(I kid, I kid...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
A man married into my extended family. He had one previous marriage. That marriage produced one daughter. Early on in the marriage, that daughter referred to our family as 'those people who can't construct a proper sentence (when speaking)'. I had to chuckle a bit when one of 'those people' in my family earned a full academic scholarship to Stanford Law School, which enjoyed (and still enjoys) a higher ranking than the aforementioned daughter's alma mater.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
jpmck03
 
jpmck03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2025 GR86
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 892
OK, I've got another one...

Now that we've got Tapatalk...

Those damned automatic Tapatalk signatures are my new YW peeve. "Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk"... Great, I don't give a f***!


Sent from my MacBook Pro using Google Chrome.
__________________
my {(retired) ride} - {mi ssk: review, diy} - {mi lw cp: review, diy} - {foglight install} - {painted emblem: experiment, diy}


jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
OK, I've got another one...

Now that we've got Tapatalk...

Those damned automatic Tapatalk signatures are my new YW peeve. "Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk"... Great, I don't give a f***!


Sent from my MacBook Pro using Google Chrome.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
People who write their telephone number like this: 6 five_7 five3 nine 024two
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
People who write their telephone number like this: 6 five_7 five3 nine 024two
Screams ITEMS FOR SALE ON CRAIGSLIST .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
hmmm, looks like I'll be staying away from Florida. hahaha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
hmmm, looks like I'll be staying away from Florida. hahaha
If you draw a line (across the whole state) just south of Bradenton, anything north of that line has been fine (in my experience).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!
 
Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East End
Posts: 500
Have You Ever Seen...

... a brand new car with the 'license applied for' in the window still, all dented up? I have, now that's sad...
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
... a brand new car with the 'license applied for' in the window still, all dented up? I have, now that's sad...
Yep. It was a Chevrolet Sonic. I described it here in a post. DebbyM46227 wrote here that it was from a hailstorm. She wrote that the same thing happened to her car. Mother nature sometimes has the fury poor drivers save for other drivers.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣
 
Septembersrain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 250
I used to live in Florida. Driving there is downright crazy really.


•Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk•
__________________
╩╗
Don't be a drip. ◄~(¬ _¬)~
Septembersrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!
 
Golddeenoh's Avatar
 
Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 830
I got a bright red car so that people would see me, they don't.
I got a loud exhaust so they could hear me and know I am there, they don't.
I got Hella Horns for when they chose not to look or even pretend to be paying attention.
Now they tend to know I am there so that we can communicate in sign language.
__________________
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
I got a bright red car so that people would see me, they don't.
I got a loud exhaust so they could hear me and know I am there, they don't.
I got Hella Horns for when they chose not to look or even pretend to be paying attention.
Now they tend to know I am there so that we can communicate in sign language.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
MyzticZ3r0
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
I got a bright red car so that people would see me, they don't.
I got a loud exhaust so they could hear me and know I am there, they don't.
I got Hella Horns for when they chose not to look or even pretend to be paying attention.
Now they tend to know I am there so that we can communicate in sign language.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!
 
Golddeenoh's Avatar
 
Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 830
80% of the people in SC cant drive. the worst are the ones that have the expensive cars. and while i don't like to profile i see more women that don't seem to want to look around, usually on the phone and just changing lanes all whilly nilly and not even attempting to look or signal. I can count on one hand the number of times i have seen a guy do it and most of them where really young, like still having a restricted licence young.
__________________
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
80% of the people in SC cant drive. the worst are the ones that have the expensive cars.
I spent a few days in SC last October (Spartanburg, Simpsonville, etc.) and I noticed the same. A bit ironic, considering the BMW plant is in Greer.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.