Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
rock_rebel

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LE
Should I sell or repair?

Hi,

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback with about 92000 miles on it. Around winter of this year I started having transmission problems. At the time I didn't know much about changing fluid every so many miles, but I was probably too hard on the car during the winter. Anyway I had to replace the transmission and a bunch of other repairs costing over $2400. A year prior I was in an accident (at fault) and banged up the side of the car a bit. I replaced the doors but the dents are still there (and now some rust) and the front bumper is also damaged. A few weeks ago I noticed the gears slipping again. I brought the car to a mechanic who told me that the transmission seals were bad and leaking fluid. The transmission isn't covered under warranty because it was my responsibility to have the seals checked before the install. I'm sort of at a loss now with what I should do. Another transmission install is going to cost at least $1200, and the car is only worth $2000 if I traded it in for another. I don't really have a lot of money to spend on another car, but it seems to make sense right now to go this route, because I'm putting more money into the car then what it's worth. Just to give you an idea of the cars condition here are some pictures:

Also, the front bumper needs repair, as well as a new muffler and alternator belt. The trunk lock is also broken (seized, likely do to the harsh winters we get here)

Just out of curiosity I put a for sale ad online and without the transmission working I would get $800 for the car max.

Is it worth to repair this car or replace? I can't seem to find any other car within my price range that wouldn't require having a car payment which I want to stay far away from. But then again if I'm paying $1200 to get the tranny fixed that's 10 car payments on a fairly recent and good condition car.

I can't decide and having anxiety thinking about what I'm going to do with this car and how I'm getting to work each day :(
rock_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
ricardocanedo621

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2 dr Liftback
You should fix it. Try this have the transmission fluid changed with Valvoline Maxlife ATF it works wonder with transmissions. And have the filter changed.
ricardocanedo621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I'd spend the money to fix it. These cars will go for 300,000 miles IF properly maintained. Several people have considerably more miles than that. You need a trusted, quality mechanic. Not a hole in the wall mechanic. It's up to you, but if you treat a Yaris right, it's gonna treat you right for YEARS. Let that be your costly lesson, and follow manufacturer service intervals. Good luck in whatever choice you make.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
billfires

Drives: 2010 3dr LB
A mechanic put the replacement transmission in and they are telling you that YOU needed to check the seals? I wouldn't accept that answer and would be asking a lot of questions. Find a reputable mechanic and see what his opinion is on the transmission warranty. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Former trans shop "R&R" person here.

The input (torque converter), output, shifter, and speedometer/sensors seals, as well as the pan gasket, are all normal replacement parts in a trans rebuild -- they are included in the kit (must be an exception, but I've never seen such).

The torque converter is not normally replaced if it seems to be in good condition. Sometimes they are flushed-out, though. The neck's condition on the TC is critical; if worn and the TC is not replaced, then the input seal may die quickly. Remanufactureed TCs are common.

A bad rear (oil) seal on the engine also causes a leak from the bellhousing, but of (brown/black) motor oil rather then the red automatic trans fluid.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
P.S. Another common input seal failure is when an installer bolts the TC to the flywheel, then tries to force-mate the engine and trans together. Instead, the TC is preinstalled in the trans, in a special way, then the engine and trans are mated, and the TC is then pulled forward and bolted to the flywheel.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i've never changed the auto transmission fluid in any of my vehicles and have never had a problem. maybe i'm just lucky.

i heard changing the transmission fluid can do more harm than good, so i never do it.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
gmsagar

Drives: toyota Yaris
Dear All,
I have Toyota Yaris HB 2007. Having problem of patrol overflow from the car tank.

Specially in hot season and driver of minimum 40 km. after stooping the car, its start over flow after some time.

see attached picture.

i went to a mechanic, he changed this small box but no use. still overflowing from the overflow pipe near the patrol cap.

another mechanic is asking replace cap of patrol tank.

Third mechanic is asking, patrol pump and filter needs to replace.

let me know, what i have to do?

Malik from UAE
gmsagar is offline   Reply With Quote