Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #2899
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
After installing and tuning with ID mini-horns, I got a very solid Center image in the middle of the dashboard about chin height. Sounds natural and very realistic, Impact and dynamics are awesome. I've been able to tune and recreate a better sound stage instead of using cone speakers.

I can't complain, the mini horns perform really good, and the more volume I turn on the better they sound with very little distortion...

The only issue (not really but always looking for a better sound stage)...

The Left side of the stage (Pilot's side) with technical tracks everything above 800 Hz reaches the sail panel bringing the stage far left, but at around 300-700 Hz it pulls in about 2-3 inches.

I have a couple of ideas to minimize this issue in the near future, it's all about perfection and better sound! this is the never ending story.

Brilliant design and a better way to bring the sound straight to our ears with fewer reflexions.


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #2900
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
that's amazing looks stock.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #2901
pennyracer
boydstir
 
pennyracer's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: grants pass
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
Very little trimming was done for the whole job

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
That looks good, did you cut into the metal behind to fit the Mids?

I usually go to Parts Express they have 2 kinds of grill mesh, I would get the more expensive, it's very easy to work.

D.
Pictures of the grills coming soon I really like how they flushed up to the a pillar
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #2902
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
Pictures of the grills coming soon I really like how they flushed up to the a pillar
What are your x-over points?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #2903
honegod
 
Drives: 2002 ECHO
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Paris Illinois
Posts: 3
Dang, I am getting all warm fuzzies following along here.

The speaker angle I was talking about is more like holding a speaker in each hand, arms held streight outin front, then spreading arms apart EQUALLY .that angle.
Mount the drivers wherever the car would intersect the arm then time delay the actual distances away.

I ended up with the left tweeter about 1.5 feet from, aimed directly at, my left ear, with the right mounted atop the dash.
Severly goofy looking but soundstage ++
honegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #2904
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by honegod View Post
Dang, I am getting all warm fuzzies following along here.

The speaker angle I was talking about is more like holding a speaker in each hand, arms held streight outin front, then spreading arms apart EQUALLY .that angle.
Mount the drivers wherever the car would intersect the arm then time delay the actual distances away.

I ended up with the left tweeter about 1.5 feet from, aimed directly at, my left ear, with the right mounted atop the dash.
Severly goofy looking but soundstage ++
You got the concept!

share some pictures, would you?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #2905
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
BOO!

Looks like you've been putting some work in on the Benzo!
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #2906
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
BOO!

Looks like you've been putting some work in on the Benzo!

You've been working on Deathtrap

I've been working on the Benzo!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #2907
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I apologize for not keeping tabs on your project. I've been busy with work, the Army, and this project...
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #2908
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Don't worry, everybody has a lot of things to do!
CLA has been a wonderful project, the Horns under the dash and Midbass down on the floor and everything I learned here, turn out as good or even better than the Yaris.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 AM   #2909
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Gotta get a chance to come listen to it. Since the wife is back on the West coast, I've been concentrating on catching back up with her and getting her settled back in. Neuro ICU work is no joke. That woman takes her work very seriously.

Thrown the benz in any SQ competitions yet?
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #2910
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
You are more than welcome,
I know hard working people, they are amazing.

I'm ok to compete, though I would be very careful on the judge, specially if he is taller/bigger than me.

The Horns are extremely sensational and with some modifications I've been able to accomplish a superb stage, but they are very susceptible to head and body position.

It's a very selfish system, just right for me. lol
I still want to upgrade the sealed enclosed 12" subwoofer with a 15" IB

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #2911
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The most important thing is that YOU like the sound. Any judge can step off. I can say that having been one.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #2912
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
About 2 weeks ago I had a SQ meet in Boston, very helpful to listen to other SQ cars, I'm a happy guy!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #2913
Dragonslayer182
Teal Squealer
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 42
What speaker mounts did you use for the front door speakers? The metra one is crap and I'm trying to retrofit my Infinity 6032si's into the stock speaker mounts, but it's too big seemingly...
Dragonslayer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:43 AM   #2914
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer182 View Post
What speaker mounts did you use for the front door speakers? The metra one is crap and I'm trying to retrofit my Infinity 6032si's into the stock speaker mounts, but it's too big seemingly...
On the Yaris, I made my own out of MDF, for the Benz... I'm not using the door speakers, my 6.5" Midbasses are in the kick area, each with it's own sealed enclosure.

Yaris:







Benz...


__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #2915
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Somebody local asked me for help with his subwoofer, he had a 18" subwoofer in a huge vented box,

I ask him... what's your goal? SQ or SPL?

He replies... SQ

So I told him his subwoofer was overpowering all other speakers.
I also spend some time trying to explain him what SQ means "to me"...
I offered if he would like to listen to my system...

After listening a few song in the Benz, he understood what I was talking about,
and when he figure out that my speakers are set up under the dashboard, he just couldn't believe it.

I bet he has a different definition for SQ now, after all...
I still get goosebumps every time I sit behind the steering wheel and enjoy my music.





D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #2916
MyzticZ3r0
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 322
Been on and off yarisworld, but I haven't forgot about your amazing sound deadening project. Everything looks fantastic Derick - hope all is well.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.