Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Fwiw my car has always had fuel trims showing too rich (approx 10%) ever since I got a custom exhaust made, even back when I had my 1nz, and I have no exhaust leaks.

The noise you are hearing on corners could be axle bind and chances are it would be more violent. Turn sharper and see what happens to see if it gets worse
Old 06-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Fwiw my car has always had fuel trims showing too rich (approx 10%) ever since I got a custom exhaust made, even back when I had my 1nz, and I have no exhaust leaks.

The noise you are hearing on corners could be axle bind and chances are it would be more violent. Turn sharper and see what happens to see if it gets worse
Hmm.. well that's good to keep in mind, thanks for the tidbit!

I was reading (and re-reading) last night and went back through your thread on using the Tercel axle to solve the bind problem - which is awesome clever btw.. I took the car out again today and gave a good swerve back and forth. Seems to be only when turning left, but sounds like it's on the right side - which would be the long-side (passenger) axle, not the driver side as you found. Over-extending the passenger side? I doubt I'm tire rubbing as I"m stock height suspension and stock wheel & tire setup. I had also thought the brakes were just coated with rust and such from sitting, but confirmed today that it has a constant vibration in the brake pedal under braking. The noise when turning isn't very loud or bang like, more like a growl... On the drive the CEL/MIL and TRAC OFF lights both came on. I did a bit of searching and, not surprisingly like much of the iM parts, the brake actuator is iM specific; not shared with Yaris or even the Corolla sedan. They communicated via CAN bus, and the being the Yaris brake actuator wired to the Yaris speed sensors, etc.. they're happy, but I wonder if the brake actuator is getting garbage from the ECM and vice versa.. Will have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
why does your engine bay look burned . - .
+1 Not sure what you mean by burnt.. The yellow-orange dis-colouration is the oil "under" (all over) coating. It's a waxy oil coating and is tacky and nasty to work in the engine bay - living in the salt belt it will be good for the car in the long run, but it is a p.i.t.a when wrenching.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Hmm.. well that's good to keep in mind, thanks for the tidbit!

I was reading (and re-reading) last night and went back through your thread on using the Tercel axle to solve the bind problem - which is awesome clever btw.. I took the car out again today and gave a good swerve back and forth. Seems to be only when turning left, but sounds like it's on the right side - which would be the long-side (passenger) axle, not the driver side as you found. Over-extending the passenger side? I doubt I'm tire rubbing as I"m stock height suspension and stock wheel & tire setup. I had also thought the brakes were just coated with rust and such from sitting, but confirmed today that it has a constant vibration in the brake pedal under braking. The noise when turning isn't very loud or bang like, more like a growl... On the drive the CEL/MIL and TRAC OFF lights both came on. I did a bit of searching and, not surprisingly like much of the iM parts, the brake actuator is iM specific; not shared with Yaris or even the Corolla sedan. They communicated via CAN bus, and the being the Yaris brake actuator wired to the Yaris speed sensors, etc.. they're happy, but I wonder if the brake actuator is getting garbage from the ECM and vice versa.. Will have to see.

+1 Not sure what you mean by burnt.. The yellow-orange dis-colouration is the oil "under" (all over) coating. It's a waxy oil coating and is tacky and nasty to work in the engine bay - living in the salt belt it will be good for the car in the long run, but it is a p.i.t.a when wrenching.

-- Adam
my manual said "wax coating applied to engine bay" that must be the "WAX" coating they are talking about.

also cant you just mount up the IM brake actuator thing to the... yeah

heres what you can do when thats happening is like. run it, run an OBD2 scanner while driving see if it throws any codes. I think. I'm an armchair mechanic.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2zr, 2zr-fe, 3rd gen, t-sport