Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
that's beautiful. excel can be your friend. that will show you the advantages and disadvantages to your intake manifold.

you have quite the project going here. now I am chompin at the bit for more.
I don't even have excel. That's just a copy of what Harry emailed to me. He was very competent, diligent, and thorough.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Finalized the flange today. And they'll be starting on the throttle body adaptor next week. I'll be getting some scans of the 3D rendering this evening and will post an image. This is the CNC machine...



And this is the material for the prototype...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
BEEF
 
BEEF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north carolina
Posts: 731
I may want to throw those number in excel myself (if you don't mind) that way you will see the positive and negative areas of your intake manifold once you get the second dyno. if he doesn't provide those differences I would be glad to throw it together. it would only take a few minutes.

after getting under my car, I can see where the 1.75" exhaust is really restrictive. you may want to do an exhaust thread (after you finish with this one).

how much are they charging you to run on the dyno? I want to run my car when it is all said and done with my mods. I was quoted $75 but not sure how many runs that is for. just trying to get something for comparison.

I wish I had a toy like that in my garage (the CNC machine)....I wish I had a garage. lol
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mahatma Gandhi-
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I may want to throw those number in excel myself (if you don't mind) that way you will see the positive and negative areas of your intake manifold once you get the second dyno. if he doesn't provide those differences I would be glad to throw it together. it would only take a few minutes.
Please be my guest.

Quote:
after getting under my car, I can see where the 1.75" exhaust is really restrictive. you may want to do an exhaust thread (after you finish with this one).
Sure will.
I just can't change anything until after the second dyno runs with the prototype manifold installed.

Quote:
how much are they charging you to run on the dyno? I want to run my car when it is all said and done with my mods. I was quoted $75 but not sure how many runs that is for. just trying to get something for comparison.
It was $100 for the set of three runs... and I was happy to pay that for the service, because there is no other objective way to accurately quantify the change in performance with the prototype manifold.

Quote:
I wish I had a toy like that in my garage (the CNC machine)....I wish I had a garage. lol
It's truly an amazing tool. I'm scheduled for machine time on Tuesday, the 17th.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Here's the 3D pics of the manifold adaptor flange...





They were done with Pro/Engineer 3D solid CAD modelling software.

If I can get time off work, I'll take a video of the machine making the part.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
They were done with Pro/Engineer 3D solid CAD modelling software.
Noooooooo!! I learned Pro/E my freshman year at school and didn't like it very much. I've heard that it's great for sheetmetal work, but it's much clunkier and difficult to do solid modeling that competing products. That said, it does accomplish the task. I'm really stoked about seeing this project come together!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Noooooooo!! I learned Pro/E my freshman year at school and didn't like it very much. I've heard that it's great for sheetmetal work, but it's much clunkier and difficult to do solid modeling that competing products. That said, it does accomplish the task. I'm really stoked about seeing this project come together!
I know nothing about software. As long as it generates the right information so that the machine can make a part that fits.

In this pic you can see how the two outer ports slightly angle inward to meet the offset intake ports on the head. That's why I specified a 1 inch thick flange, so that the transition between the two would be reasonably smooth.



Here's the view fromt he other side where the transition is a little more noticeable. It's before adding the grooves for the stock O ring manifold gasket...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
BEEF
 
BEEF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north carolina
Posts: 731
is it really going to be an inch thick? I assume you are going to use different bolts to mount it.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mahatma Gandhi-
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Sure. They're readily available from the hardware store.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
BEEF
 
BEEF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north carolina
Posts: 731
just making sure our graphs line up. I can't wait for the second set. I am hoping to do a graph of the difference so you can see the drawbacks and advantages. I am hoping that there won't be much loss in the lower RPM range (2-3k) and a descen amount in the upper (4-5). I don't really care about 5-6k as most people don't hang out there much.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mahatma Gandhi-
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
just making sure our graphs line up. I can't wait for the second set. I am hoping to do a graph of the difference so you can see the drawbacks and advantages. I am hoping that there won't be much loss in the lower RPM range (2-3k) and a descen amount in the upper (4-5). I don't really care about 5-6k as most people don't hang out there much.
Harry said that's likely going to happen. Definitely losses at the bottom with the possibility of gains at the top. How much is given up at the bottom is the question we'll find out.

We drive ours around hardly going over 3,000 rpm, so it's probably not going to help us for our uses. But since we already drive the car gently, the loss shouldn't be a problem. We'll just step on the gas a little more. I'm really curious on how much the gas mileage will decrease... although there's a chance that freeway mileage might increase.

There's only one thing we know for sure... at least it'll look really cool.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
BEEF
 
BEEF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north carolina
Posts: 731
I really like the look of the manifold you are using. here is an example of what I am talking about. of the 3 runs, here is the deviation between the worst and the best at each point (100 RPM step). I started it at 2500 since that was the first place I had all 3 data points. just to give an idea.



one trace for torque and one for horespower. seems you are within around 3 hp or ft/lbs even during the steep sloped part. actually a pretty tight grouping.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mahatma Gandhi-
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
I see. That kind of graph could be especially useful to visually portray the difference between the before and after manifold runs.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!
 
Golddeenoh's Avatar
 
Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
at first when I saw this, all I could think of was

"wiggle wiggle wiggle"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33drZUXSzY
__________________
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
BEEF
 
BEEF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north carolina
Posts: 731
but, but, but.......

IT'S DATAAA!!!!!!!!

__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mahatma Gandhi-
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
can't wait to see it and Garm's version :D!!!
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
can't wait to see it and Garm's version :D!!!
Same here... what happened to Garm's manifold.

On the 17th, I'll be holding in my hands all the parts to make it happen. After that the next step will be taking it to the welder, and then test fitting it on the engine. I'll be sure to post pics and videos of everything as it happens.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
We got the final version to fit on our motor-on-a-stand, which it did. Now we're waiting on a pre-production version we can put on a test car and go dyno.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.