Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
That's also not 100% correct. Too narrow (within reason) will almost always perform better than too wide. A 275 on a 8" wheel will deflect a lot in turns, whereas a 225, a bit too narrow won't budge in a turn.

While I see that you like to try and correct me. I have owned and raced 7 BMW's and a few were ///M cars, I understand handling and tires more than I could type in a paragraph. I used to do the rolling diameter calculations just for the heck of it with the formula memorized. Sure a 245 Kumho MX or Bridgestone S-03 will run wider than say a Dunlop SP Sport 9000 or Kumho Exsta Supra 712, but my above recommendations are damn close to spot on.

I realize you're a domestic owner at heart, and I...well...hate the damn cars, barring the Vettes, a car that can actually perform ALL AROUND well, and not be built like poo. But there's no need to argue with me on common sense things. A 245 tire will always perform better than a 265 on a 8" wheel, it fits the wheel correctly giving more precise handling. And no, I don't run euro stretched tires, just CORRECT for the wheel, that's all.
Russelt3hpirate is absolutely correct. There is no "absolute" answer here. Saying a 245 will always perform better than a 265 is just incorrect. I have seen and experienced many times that wider is generally better within acceptable limits. There is a correct range of tire for a given rim.

Your sizing list is accurate, but by no means is it the end all be all when performance is concerned. You can go wider with success if you have the ability to do so. Do you need go to the absolute limit on a Yaris for maximum performance? Probably not.

What you have owned and raced are irrelevant to this topic as are rollout calculations you have memorized. No offense, but just because you have driven a BMW around a track dosen't mean you are any good at it, or that you are some supreme source of automotive knowledge. If you are wrong, you are wrong.

Ashley
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Thing is, I'm not wrong. And any time you've debated with me, you've been wrong. Keep up the trend.

Tell me, what am I wrong about, that hicks like you run 315 drag radials on 9" wide wheels and street tires up front. Safe huh? Tell you what, my BMW days were in a land where handling dynamics rein supreme. I'll take that vs a AWD Subaru or Mustang owner's views any day.
P.S. I can drive

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #21
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
That's also not 100% correct. Too narrow (within reason) will almost always perform better than too wide. A 275 on a 8" wheel will deflect a lot in turns, whereas a 225, a bit too narrow won't budge in a turn.

While I see that you like to try and correct me. I have owned and raced 7 BMW's and a few were ///M cars, I understand handling and tires more than I could type in a paragraph. I used to do the rolling diameter calculations just for the heck of it with the formula memorized. Sure a 245 Kumho MX or Bridgestone S-03 will run wider than say a Dunlop SP Sport 9000 or Kumho Exsta Supra 712, but my above recommendations are damn close to spot on.

I realize you're a domestic owner at heart, and I...well...hate the damn cars, barring the Vettes, a car that can actually perform ALL AROUND well, and not be built like poo. But there's no need to argue with me on common sense things. A 245 tire will always perform better than a 265 on a 8" wheel, it fits the wheel correctly giving more precise handling. And no, I don't run euro stretched tires, just CORRECT for the wheel, that's all.
Let me hit some of that good shit you are smokin.
I have been doing tires since the day I turned 18, and I can state fact and back it up to disprove everything you have stated above....
let me hit that good shit one more time

BTW... I geuss you think my 225/50VR15 handle and preform like crap because they are "too wide" for the wheel and skinnier is better.... I can out corner a stock yaris all day everyday
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Thing is, I'm not wrong. And any time you've debated with me, you've been wrong. Keep up the trend.

Tell me, what am I wrong about, that hicks like you run 315 drag radials on 9" wide wheels and street tires up front. Safe huh? Tell you what, my BMW days were in a land where handling dynamics rein supreme. I'll take that vs a AWD Subaru or Mustang owner's views any day.
P.S. I can drive
There has been no debate, it is just you spreading misinformation and conjecture. I'm just more knowledgable than you.
I didn't know the arrogance and stupidity that most BMW owners exude extended to ex BMW owners as well. Thank you for that valuable lesson.

Please go back to your fantasy land where BMW handling was the pinnacle of your ignorant, uninformed, yuppie wet dream.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 02-23-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #23
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
its odd cause im on the complete opposite on the spectrum from most of you, this is the first import ive owned. Everything else has been domestic and 'dude' not every guy driving a camaro or mustang has the rear jacked up and 12 wide weld rims telling you hes got the finest ride. I had an 84 z28 apparentlly the best handling sports car that year, even over the corvette and it ran 215 or 225 on 7.5 rims. But owners of these cars were more worried about how to hook up 400+hp and tire smoke. Those cars were also throw backs to the muscle car era and corner carving wasnt in the formula as it always has been with the euros so theres really no comparison, only whether you prefer the mullet or the leather pants.
Im curious why someone who obviously has a bmw shrine in the corner of the house has ditched the tried and true and bought a yaris?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
'dude' not every guy driving a camaro or mustang has the rear jacked up and 12 wide weld rims telling you hes got the finest ride.
I laughed out loud at the thought of those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
Im curious why someone who obviously has a bmw shrine in the corner of the house has ditched the tried and true and bought a yaris?
Daily driver man, still have a Bimmer. So I can't have 2 different tastes? I get tired of cars quick, hence the 15 I've owend in the past 7 yrs. I move on a lot but paid cash for the Yaris, and don't ever plan on selling it, really. It should last 10+ yrs easy. Once I sell my old E30, I'm upgrading to a E46 M3.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
There has been no debate, it is just you spreading misinformation and conjecture. I'm just more knowledgable than you.
I didn't know the arrogance and stupidity that most BMW owners exude extended to ex BMW owners as well. Thank you for that valuable lesson.

Please go back to your fantasy land where BMW handling was the pinnacle of your ignorant, uninformed, yuppie wet dream.
You know more than me? That's classic rustang boy. Keep telling yourself that, and the records I set in autocross wouldn't mean anything to you being a near 4000lb POS Ford owner. That car plain sucks, a stock used Z06 would rape you on any road course, let alone autocross.

Yuppie wet dream? The day you can tell me your family has owned in no particular order, a 2000 NSX-T with arc titanium exhaust that cost more than every mod you've made on that pos ford, Volk TE-37 forged wheels, etc, a E46 M3, 997 Carrera S, 3 E30 M3's, 2 E36 M3's over a dozen various P cars, and a Lotus Esprit TT V8. I have more seat time in exotic cars then you have getting your dick hard looking at pics. I'd L_O_V_E to prove to you how much more I know about cars then you do, but then you'd actually have to own a fucking functionable brain that can dicipher thought....which you, being a Rustang owner, don't have. Do me a big favor, and stop posting all together, we don't need 315 Nitto boys running on 9" wide wheels acting hard around here.

P.S.-Since you 'Merican owners know sooo much about correct tire sizes, answer this Einstein. Why the fuck does Porsche build the BEST track car in the 997 GT3RS, with ONLY 235's on 8.5" wheels and 305 rears on TWELVE inch wide wheels? What, you don't know genious? It's called contact patch on the road, and effective tread width, something you'd know nothing about.

In case you missed it, my FIRST POST in this thead says within 2 sentences the differences in tire widths between manufacturers. What you should've said earlier is "Your first post was spot on, but I got butt hurt by that domestic comment, so I became prickboy!" I got more, bring it.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Thats not 100% correct. Each tire manufacturer measures width a bit different. A 315 Nitto is as wide as a 295 BFG,Goodyear or Kumho tire. There is no real measurment standard. Your "best sizing" list is fine for certain cases, but for AWD cars, or heavier cars you will be better off going a bit wider as long as you have the correct offset and clearance.

Too narrow or too wide of a tire on a given rim is not good for handling. I would rather be on the wide side than the narrow side. The streched sidewall deal that people like right now is horrible for handling.

Ashley
I felt the need to quote you to make you look like a tool, ASHLEY.

Here's what you quoted of me, but yet your second sentence sure doesn't make ANY sense when looking at what I typed. Retard.

Quote:
The reason is simple. Race tires like the Hankook 212's or Falken Azenis run REALLY wide. Technically yes, a 205 tire should be ok on a 7" wide wheel, but I come from the BMW camp, where you run the BEST size for that width of wheel. Examples:

8'5" wheel 245/255 max
8" wheel 235
7.5" wheel 215/225 max
7" wheel 205
6.5" wheel 195
6" wheel 185
etc etc

Problem is you have every mustang/camaro owner telling you.."Dude I run 275 Nitto's with 8" wide wheels and it's fine." And in reality his car handles like crap (Not that domestic owners care).

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
I repeat:

If you guys (Nimble, largeorangefront) must continue to battle back and forth, take it to Private Messaging please...There are some of us on this forum who would like topics to stay on topic...

Thanks
X2
Old 02-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #28
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

I started this thread to provide some useful YARIS RELATED info about wheels and tires.

Who cares about vettes and bimmers here??? Take your sh#t some where else.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #29
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
I started this thread to provide some useful YARIS RELATED info about wheels and tires.

Who cares about vettes and bimmers here??? Take your sh#t some where else.
How about Costa Rica? I hear that's a nice place for Bimmer/Vette shit??

Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Costa Rica is a free Country... So even people like you are welcome.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #31
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
I repeat:

If you guys (Nimble, largeorangefront) must continue to battle back and forth, take it to Private Messaging please...There are some of us on this forum who would like topics to stay on topic...

Thanks
I apologize for taking this thread off topic, but again you have Nimble spreading misinformation and attacking other members personally because he isn't bright enough to back up any of his opinions with factual information. Apparently he is a car genius because he sat in a lotus one time, and by osmosis from the leather seats he is now a becon of knowledge.

Ashley
Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #32
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Apparently he is a car genius because he sat in a lotus one time, and by osmosis from the leather seats he is now a becon of knowledge.

Ashley
Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #33
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
You know what they call guys like you? Cocksucker fan bois. Get back on your knees bitch, orangefag isn't done. He'll post another funny one for ya.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #34
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
I apologize for taking this thread off topic, but again you have Nimble spreading misinformation and attacking other members personally because he isn't bright enough to back up any of his opinions with factual information. Apparently he is a car genius because he sat in a lotus one time, and by osmosis from the leather seats he is now a becon of knowledge.

Ashley
Problem is that I HAVE posted factual info, hey look at my first post dumbass. Besides what am I wasting my time for? You're a dude named Ashley that probably has bitch tits. I hear flamers in costa rica like them though, he sure has sucked on them enough in this thread.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #35
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Costa Rica is a free Country... So even people like you are welcome.
I prefer to stay away from third world countries with no running water but thanks. Maybe us rich people will wave hello as we pass by on my cruise this summer.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #36
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Dam i love reading posts you make. It makes my day....lol

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
Closed Thread