Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
even with synthetic toyota recommends a 3-5k oil service interval...depending on engine.

also, if you dont put oil on the o-ring it will glue itself to the other parts...or worse, get cut and you have an oil mess everywhere.

third...i hear that stupid crap all the time about scratches on panels and switches when i hadnt even been on that side of the car...my manager takes care of the BS thankfully or we'd be out of business.
I have even a better story one time when i was a early mechanic i did a tire rotation on a car i remeber it was a old honda accord it think 92. The drivers door handle was cracked and very brittle so i was careful when opening it. 30 minutes later i get a call from the manager showing me pictures of inside the car. All 4 door handles were cracked and the 2 in the back wre completely broken off. Customer claims i broke the drivers door handle and was scared to break it more so i tried to go out the back seat. Then i broke that handle off trying to get out so i was stuck so i tried to get out the other side but that broke too. Then finally i went out the passanger front seat.

I just replied oh i guess i must not know my own strength. He just blew the customer off. I dont know what she was expecting we would replace all her inner door handles for free or something.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
hahaha...ya catch this....my luck

i was at work today and i had an X3 with a super=tight filter. guess what...it was a local service shop or used car place that changed the oil. they didnt lube the o-ring. took me a 3 foot breaker bar and the right filter adapter to get it off. when i took it off they had 2 o-rings on there...mega tight...way too much.

HAND TIGHT PEOPLE, PLUS 1/8 TURN. and dont forget to lube the ring.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ 150 ft/lbs?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ 150 ft/lbs?
nope... just put on by he-man...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
I can never figure out why some businesses don't just refuse to offer service to difficult clients. Is it worth it invoicing for $29 US for all that hassle???
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliwackGuy View Post
I can never figure out why some businesses don't just refuse to offer service to difficult clients. Is it worth it invoicing for $29 US for all that hassle???
I did not too long ago and it nearly started a knife fight. I was in the middle of stabbing a transmission and another mechanic was pulling some heads when a guy pulls up and says he needs a flat fixed. I told him only if he could leave it. He starts mouthing how lazy we are...I say "yeah, we're so lazy that we just do easy jobs like head gaskets and clutch jobs"

He starts walking away screaming "LAZY!" so I told him to sober up [he was drunk, btw]. His 3 friends pile out of the car, when they heard that, and they all start running towards me. I close the bay door down just as they get to it...boy, that really got them irate!

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
not advocating this at all but...

one thing that i am noticing, is that it seems to be about one in ten... to the point where i have heard from people at the dealer that they want to just walk up to #10 and bi*** slap them... that way, since he was not gonna be happy anyway, at least the tech got some release...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
not advocating this at all but...

one thing that i am noticing, is that it seems to be about one in ten... to the point where i have heard from people at the dealer that they want to just walk up to #10 and bi*** slap them... that way, since he was not gonna be happy anyway, at least the tech got some release...
u have no idea how often i wanna slap the crap outta #10. and it's usually a big black B****...not prejudice or nothing, we have our honkies out there too that are idiots.

i had a customer tell me that i was trying to rip him off by telling him he needed an AC service cuz his AC stunk, and that his power steering fluid was toast. he proceeded to tell me that it's 100k fluid and it's not going to be changed and he's not paying for it and this and that...no less than a month he came in for a leaking AC (not that my AC service would have cleaned it) and he needed a new power steering rack and pump. also, not that a flush would have fixed it...but, i was right and he was wrong and i made sure he understood i was rubbing it in his face that he needed the services.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #27
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Customer service of any kind is ridiculous sometimes.

It's almost like a test to see how much ignorance and stupidity it takes to make someone snap and kill a mofo.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Just the other day a customer dropped off his vehicle for a wheel bearing replacement. 3 Weeks ago he came by again and asked to us to do it and i asked him why he wanted it done. He said the dealership told him it needed it. Apprently he hears a slight noise that changes pitch with speed that comes and goes. I told him that we can change the side that he requests but if it dosnt fix his problem we are not responsible. Then he replys well i dont feel that thats right. I explain to him you had someone else diagnose it and if there are any issues you will have to go back to them. if you want us to diagnose it and we diagnose the wrong side then we are responsible that is what the diagnostic charge is for.

He then leaves because he is unhappy with my response. So anyways he brings his car in again and drops it off. I declines the diagnostic charge. We always test drive our vehicles before any service at my shop cause our customers have a tendency to claim there car wasnt acting a certain way until after whatever service we performed no matter how unrelated. So anyways the technician gives me the keys and asks me to drive the car. I go i hear nothing. We both are wondering why in the world we are doing a wheel bearing. From my experience a wheel bearing once bad wont come and go the sound will always be constant.

So anyways i call the customer to let him know and he thanks us for our honesty. Pretty much he got lucky and got a free diagnostic. He asks us to do a oil change since it was here and he would be picking it up in 30 minutes. So we finish the oil change and give him our coupon rate which is 19.95 plus sale tax and hazz fee which is 2.99.

Total bill comes out to be 24 even. He then starts to argue and ask if we gave him the coupon price of 19.95 and why is the total 24. I go are you seriouse I just saved you hundreds of dollars on a service we could have just performed and this is how you show your gratitue. Well the price is 19.95 there is disposal fee which any place in this state charges as well as sales tax. I dont know if people really expect the price 19.95 on the coupon is the out the door price or that are just playing stupid sometimes because i have to explain that about 3-4 times a day. But i digress he then apologizes and leaves. But things like that really get to me when I take care of the customer but they do not appreciate it.

Oh and at the end i ask what shop had recommended the wheel bearing he said it was the Toyota dealer.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #29
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
"Customers" can be not only a source of frustration, but also hilarious amusement.

In a previous job, I heard a customer talking to another employee about his recent stay at the hospital. I gather from what part of the conversation I heard that he caught some kind of infection at the hospital, and they were trying to figure out what the infection was.

To do that, I guess they took samples and grew them on a petri dish.

As this "genius" was telling the story, he was referring to the petri dish as "a peach tree dish".

Every once in a while the ignorant moron customers are good for a laugh.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #30
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
ahh man i know im late to the party here but i used to run a lube truck for john deere and man tractors or the dirtiest son of a bees out there this was my set up for filter removal, the claw and a 24" ratchet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratchet.jpg (3.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg claw.jpg (8.4 KB, 27 views)
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #31
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I was a computer tech for 25 years and had to put up with lots of a-holes while working for the Computerlands and other businesses I worked for all the years. I had people pizzed at me because I had to wipe their computer and THEY didn't have a backup, which they were told to make time and time again. Things like that.

When I started my own business doing the same thing back in 1998, I brought lots of those customers of mine with me, which helped my business be profitable right off the bat. One thing I did NOT do though was bring over the a-holes to my business. I left those off my list of clients and ended up with happy customers who I could be happy with. It's nice to be selective, if you can be. ;)
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
honestly 19.99 for an oil change you are probably losing money we have a 19.95 oil change with oem filters (vw dealer) and there is no way we make money. On vw's all the oil changes 06 and up are 10k intervals and I have only seen one housing break so I dont know if the guy was using filter pliers on it or something and cracked it or what. I cant believe how dishonest customers are blaming people for things they didnt even touch, I get it at my work all the time and I thought well maybe its cause we are the dealer and get the bad rep that goes along with it. 99% of the time my customers are awesome I guess because they know we are the only good dealer within 80 miles and they dont want to piss us of because not too many independent shops will work on vw's.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #33
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Just the other day a customer dropped off his vehicle for a wheel bearing replacement. 3 Weeks ago he came by again and asked to us to do it and i asked him why he wanted it done. He said the dealership told him it needed it. Apprently he hears a slight noise that changes pitch with speed that comes and goes. I told him that we can change the side that he requests but if it dosnt fix his problem we are not responsible. Then he replys well i dont feel that thats right. I explain to him you had someone else diagnose it and if there are any issues you will have to go back to them. if you want us to diagnose it and we diagnose the wrong side then we are responsible that is what the diagnostic charge is for.

He then leaves because he is unhappy with my response. So anyways he brings his car in again and drops it off. I declines the diagnostic charge. We always test drive our vehicles before any service at my shop cause our customers have a tendency to claim there car wasnt acting a certain way until after whatever service we performed no matter how unrelated. So anyways the technician gives me the keys and asks me to drive the car. I go i hear nothing. We both are wondering why in the world we are doing a wheel bearing. From my experience a wheel bearing once bad wont come and go the sound will always be constant.

So anyways i call the customer to let him know and he thanks us for our honesty. Pretty much he got lucky and got a free diagnostic. He asks us to do a oil change since it was here and he would be picking it up in 30 minutes. So we finish the oil change and give him our coupon rate which is 19.95 plus sale tax and hazz fee which is 2.99.

Total bill comes out to be 24 even. He then starts to argue and ask if we gave him the coupon price of 19.95 and why is the total 24. I go are you seriouse I just saved you hundreds of dollars on a service we could have just performed and this is how you show your gratitue. Well the price is 19.95 there is disposal fee which any place in this state charges as well as sales tax. I dont know if people really expect the price 19.95 on the coupon is the out the door price or that are just playing stupid sometimes because i have to explain that about 3-4 times a day. But i digress he then apologizes and leaves. But things like that really get to me when I take care of the customer but they do not appreciate it.

Oh and at the end i ask what shop had recommended the wheel bearing he said it was the Toyota dealer.
I saved a guy $200 once because I got his tie rods unsiezed so he didnt have to buy new ones (other shop couldn't do alignment) we had to basicly give the alignment away.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #34
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I work in Heating/Cooling trade and too many people have a "my minds made up, dont confuse me with the facts" kind of mentality. It makes it very hard for a good, properly trained tech to do the job we're supposed to do, when those that know nothing feel they know it all.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #35
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
^ Oh yeah!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I work in Heating/Cooling trade and too many people have a "my minds made up, dont confuse me with the facts" kind of mentality. It makes it very hard for a good, properly trained tech to do the job we're supposed to do, when those that know nothing feel they know it all.

Hey! Just like a Liberal!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote