Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
jaserhunter

Drives: 2008 yaris LB
no i think i will stay away from cheap shit, but if someone wants to buy and tell me how it work then more power to them. i would rather pay $100 more and buy something i will know i will like then throw away $50
jaserhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation

this pipe is no different than an injen, aem, fujita etc. the only difference is MAYBE the filter. I'd say buy it, spray paint it the body color of your car, and install it. Spray the filter with the same oil that K&N filters use, and then when it comes time to clean it, just replace it with a brand name filter instead of cleaning it etc.
the only really bad thing i've heard about ebay filters is in high horsepower or high boost applications they can come aprart and shit can get sucked into your motor.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #21
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Personally, I always buy a brand name product for my newer vehicles. Especially something as cheap as an air intake.

Save $50 now, spend a lot more if it screws up your car and voids your warranty.

Plus the brand name ones always look better, usually last longer, have numbers to back up their performance, usually fit better, and have customer service just in case you need something.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #22
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
this pipe is no different than an injen, aem, fujita etc. the only difference is MAYBE the filter.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
How can air + metal cause catastrophic engine failure?!
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i had a 9$ short ram from ebay w/ a k&n filter on my matrix xrs....worked just as well as any other intake

i run with a cosmo racing intake on my yaris....again, no problem even w/ their cheap filter....
Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Never said air or metal could cause catastrophic engine failure. Actually I never said anything about catastrophic engine failure. But engineering could. Water getting into your engine, etc.

Or just plain ol' worse gas mileage/performance due to a restrictive design or filter.

But hey, buy what you want, it's your car. I'd just rather spend the extra $ and buy the right part. Hell, you could make a cardboard shipping tube with a cone filter on the end for about $5 bucks.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Never said air or metal could cause catastrophic engine failure. Actually I never said anything about catastrophic engine failure. But engineering could. Water getting into your engine, etc.

Or just plain ol' worse gas mileage/performance due to a restrictive design or filter.

But hey, buy what you want, it's your car. I'd just rather spend the extra $ and buy the right part. Hell, you could make a cardboard shipping tube with a cone filter on the end for about $5 bucks.
I never wanted to buy this intake. But elaborate this for me. How different is this pipe, from other brand name ones? How different are the risks form this intake, and another?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
jaserhunter

Drives: 2008 yaris LB
no one said there going to buy it. i put it out there to ask how good can it be for $50
jaserhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
...this pipe is no different than an injen, aem, fujita etc. the only difference is MAYBE the filter...
Actually it is VERY different as the materials are low quality and so is the workmanship. The filter for SURE is crap...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #29
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
well, the pipe diameter could be different or too big for the yaris MAF sensor....i tried my ebay short ram on my yaris....pipe diameter was 2.5".....got system lean CEL's

im sure that company just bought an AEM and copied it....im sure its perfectly fine

whoever said it before "all youre buying is the tube" is perfectly correct. sure itll oxidize before other....but my injen intake did a similar thing on my xrs before i got the ebay sri.....

seriously.....if i didnt already have an intake, id get a cheapy one like that and buy a new k&n filter for it. and when the cheapy connectors wore out (as they often do, eventually) id buy a good 4 ply vibrant one (btw, i happen to have a vibrant reducer flange on my intake....4ply kicks arse)

but im cheap like that...

edit: forgot to mention when i bought my ebay sri i had to file out some of the sloppy cutting around the MAF hole where the mount was welded....but it took me 15min to file it down.

DIY > $
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Actually it is VERY different as the materials are low quality and so is the workmanship. The filter for SURE is crap...
finally someone else here understands my feelings. A+ to you sir...A+!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
ive had the cheap ebay intake on for a year now

works perfect and still looks like the day i got it

just use a good filter and you will be fine

there is a lot of people on here who say expensive is better but its like buying off brand a the supermarket, half the time its the same exact thing with a different label
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
ive had the cheap ebay intake on for a year now

works perfect and still looks like the day i got it

just use a good filter and you will be fine

there is a lot of people on here who say expensive is better but its like buying off brand a the supermarket, half the time its the same exact thing with a different label
Your correct, sort of... Half the time it looks the exact same and works just fine. The other half the time it has blatently crappy welds, is the wrong diameter tube, or just plain won't bolt in cleanly. However, all the time the materials are of poor quality.

And for those of you using these crap Chinese filters, do your car a favor and replace it immediatley. If you think they are doing their job your insane...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #33
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Your correct, sort of... Half the time it looks the exact same and works just fine. The other half the time it has blatently crappy welds, is the wrong diameter tube, or just plain won't bolt in cleanly. However, all the time the materials are of poor quality.

And for those of you using these crap Chinese filters, do your car a favor and replace it immediatley. If you think they are doing their job your insane...

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #34
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
be even cheaper like me, hack some holes in your airbox, probably just as loud. HP gain who knows I mean it makes what 100 hp factory. Even if you get a reputable intake or pay double for one to make the car even faster, won't make much of a difference on a engine that was not designed for hp. I understand the it is great to get a gain in hp but I think there is little diference from one intake to the other.Now if instead of a air intake we were talking about forged rods, pistons, valves, ecu, etc, yeah get the better product with a good and proven reputation.

just my opinion, maybe I am crazy, don't know
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #35
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Take this how you want , you people bagging this system are pathetic ,
if it was NST, Micro image , and so on, you would be all over it like a heat rash. And pay 4x that price.
Until you have used said product , how can you say what it is like .
advise is good , guidance is better , but bull shit bagging of a product because
you paid 4x that for your one is hard luck.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #36
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

nst and micro image wouldnt produce such crappy products as the subject intake...