Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Yup, the one at 1:50 was what I was thinking.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
tint, hide expensive things from view, take off suctioncupped items for long parkings/bad areas, lock doors, and just have insurance. most likely the car will be broken into and something stolen
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
This is good advice.

I also generally keep it clean and unlocked too, something I learned while driving a Jeep with a soft top which you can pretty easily unzip to get into anyway.

The way I figure it, if you see something you like take it. Just don't break my windows :)
I know quite a few car thieves (I am a criminal justice major and do a lot of volunteer work in the field) and a thief will break into a Toyota before a Corvette if they are simply looking to steal stereos/change/whatever is laying around. Why? Because they are the ones less likely to have a really good security system. So parking next to a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. will not actually stop them from breaking in.

Keeping everything out of sight or locked in the trunk is a good idea- if a thief doesn't see anything (and I literally keep everything out of site even with my tinted windows, back in school I knew kids who would bust out a window for a pack of cigarettes) they probably aren't going to waste the time breaking in.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #22
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Front seat:

LOL as soon as I read the post title I thought 'get a pitbull' - that worked for me ... I had my pitbull (God, I miss her) ride shotgun with me everywhere I went and I would leave the windows cracked and the doors unlocked. No one ever dared to come near that car when she was in it, and she was afraid of her own shadow and only wanted to lick everyone she came in contact with. But, the stigma was enough to keep people away
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
joey666701

Drives: 2010 yaris 2 door red
i have a car alarm... it came with the car... but even with the car alarm i hide everything... and keep it clean... and yea parking next to BMW and what not doesnt work...
joey666701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #24
doginmyyaris

Drives: 07 yaris
no more....

As the name implied, other then to and from work, there was always a big black lab mutt sittin' in the back....with all the windows all the way down (watch the heat, people!)

Alas, after 17 1/2 years (!) I had to give my best friend an overdose of morphine IV after he shattered a very arthritic shoulder.

Back on topic...instead of a living theft deterrent, I now use an AUTOTASER. Made by the same "Taser" people that make the guns, and no longer on the market, it's "the club" with a "kick"!! Positioned over my DVD/stereo, that too becomes too painful to mess with.

....but I'd take the mutt-deterrent over the electronic-deterrent, anyday......
doginmyyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
as far as ppl breakin in, there's no real way to deter them. even if you post 'security alarm installed' all over the thing they're still going to do it.

as far as stealing 'the car', you can install a switch somewhere hidden, or use one that's already available. you can cut the relay wire to the starter, run it into a switch, and run it back to itself in a big loop. so essentially, you have two switches to close the starter relay instead of just the key switch.

now, an easy way to do this is to either use the window switch (i like the up position cuz noone ever really hits up when it's rolled up), and another is going to be a hidden toe switch like old school.....really old school hi-beam switches located near the dead pedal on the firewall. hit the switch with the toe, roll key to start and bam...started.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #26
yannis-b

Drives: Yaris TR 1.33 VVTi 101hp 5D
GPS tracker? Well, it won't prevent them from stealing the car but it's not a bad investment.
yannis-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i always wanted to use a nuclear bomb. It really wouldn't be practical, but i figured if the thief realized everyone in a 20 mile square radius would die if they tried to break in, they just wouldn't.

Or you could always make it look like a piece of junk on the outside, cover it with bumper stickers and the like, and no one would take a second look at it.

I agree that if someone really wants it, they will figure out a way to steal it. But 99% of theifs are the dumb ones not really looking for any specific car to steal.

That autotaser sounds right up my alley. Fry the peoples that try to take anything in your car.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by doginmyyaris View Post
As the name implied, other then to and from work, there was always a big black lab mutt sittin' in the back....with all the windows all the way down (watch the heat, people!)

Alas, after 17 1/2 years (!) I had to give my best friend an overdose of morphine IV after he shattered a very arthritic shoulder.

Back on topic...instead of a living theft deterrent, I now use an AUTOTASER. Made by the same "Taser" people that make the guns, and no longer on the market, it's "the club" with a "kick"!! Positioned over my DVD/stereo, that too becomes too painful to mess with.

....but I'd take the mutt-deterrent over the electronic-deterrent, anyday......
Aren't black labs generally too friendly for guard duty? I know my beagle isn't any kind of deterrent

Sorry about your dog though ...

The AUTOTASER thing reminds me of a friend. He kept getting his car broken into for his radio and he was just really getting tired of it. So when he installed his next radio, he strategically placed razor blades under the stereo.

You know it worked too, and there's always evidence an attempt however messy to clean up He used to keep his doors unlocked, and some idiot still broke his window, poor guy.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
I know quite a few car thieves (I am a criminal justice major and do a lot of volunteer work in the field) and a thief will break into a Toyota before a Corvette if they are simply looking to steal stereos/change/whatever is laying around. Why? Because they are the ones less likely to have a really good security system. So parking next to a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. will not actually stop them from breaking in.

Keeping everything out of sight or locked in the trunk is a good idea- if a thief doesn't see anything (and I literally keep everything out of site even with my tinted windows, back in school I knew kids who would bust out a window for a pack of cigarettes) they probably aren't going to waste the time breaking in.
I don't know, I'd run with the top down on the TJ near constantly and I never got it stolen. But I did keep a club on the steering wheel in questionable areas and it was a manual transmission.

Good thieves are just going to use a tow truck anyway and they aren't going to steal a Yaris when there's a BMW right next to it. Of course most idiots are going to pass on a car with a MT and a club. And usually even the most cross eyed drug addict is going pass on breaking the window on a car with nothing in it (I have actually physically seen the exception to this rule in action once ).

That's why I usually leave the doors unlocked, in hopes that they don't break the window to find out there's nothing in there. In neighborhoods where the Yaris is a coveted vehicle because everyone knows the crack dealer down the street will cap you if you try to steal his ride ... well I generally try to avoid, but if I have to I lock everything and pray to Jesus
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
Last week I got a 3-door LB with only the convenience package, which means no engine immobilizer.

Car theft is not unknown in the area where I work, so I'm thinking about adding on something to at least deter a would-be thief.

I know that if they really want in, they'll get in -- but in terms of deterrence, what strategies give you the best bang for the buck? It would be nice to consider both cheap as well as pricier options.

I'll start with the good ol' steering wheel club and choosing a good parking spot.
Take all the usual procautions and park beside a Civic SiR (Canada's #1 stolen car several years running).

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #31
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
A few years ago a guy tried to steal my Evo at a gas station . He didn't realize that when you release the e-brake in a car equipped with a turbo timer that the engine will cut off . It was funny to see him reach for the ignition to find no keys . Even funnier was the look on his face when I brandished my 1911 . You would be surprised at how fast someone can run when a 45 is pulled out .

On a side note , a turbo timer is great when you want to warm your car up during the winter . You can set the timer for say 10 minutes , pull the key out , then go back inside without having to worry about someone jacking your car while you brush your teeth or whatever .
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
1. become a gangbanger.

2. work your way up the ranks until you're a hardened criminal.

3. tote a gat on your belt.

4. if you aren't feared enough by now, proceed to step 5.

5. bust a cap in that would-be, car stealing thief.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
Greenthunder

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
If you have GPS or any kind of aftermarket electronics either put them in your trunk or a back pack, or take them inside with you if possible. I used to work as a security officer and that is one of the first things I would tell people when they asked about possible break-ins. Park in well lit areas, and as close to the building you are going into. That will help deter a potential theif a little bit, but I've seen thieves break into cars in broad daylight. Heck people tried to steal a catalytic converter off a car in one lot in broad daylight too! You can only do so much to deter a thief though, if they want what you have they'll find a way to steal it. Even if its pocket change they'll take that too.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Have you considered a brake lock? you slip it over the brake or clutch pedal and it stops it from being depressed. Unless they have a tow truck it would be hard to steal.

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
Put steering wheel lock PLUS brake pedal lock (the one linked from brake pedal to steering wheel). Theft will be less interested to steal a car with 2 lock and find easier target instead.
you could still cut through the steering wheel and slip off both locks

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote