![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
From a Yaris to a Sprinter
I'm an electrician and the company I'm currently with is getting a new service truck and I'll be the designated driver. I have a 45 minutes drive to the shop with my Yaris then I'll have to adjust to a 8' raised roof, 19' long cargo van (Mercedes Sprinter), weights twice as much, has a 3L V6 turbo Diesel engine, rear wheel drive, etc. polar opposite of a 3dr hatch. My main concern when driving bigger vehicles than my own is staying centered in the lane because the driver seat isn't anywhere near where I'm used to in relation to the road and wheels. Other than that I'm comfortable driving, backing, getting in and out of ditch and unpaved roads, etc. I'd be pretty pissed to scrape a car on the highway, passing by too close.
At least both vehicles are white, so it should help with the transition ;) |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,000
|
i drive my yaris to work. i drive a Chevrolet 1 ton savanna all day. 23' long. (or a ford F550 crane truck) never had any issues transitioning vehicles. i used to drive for UPS and they have an awesome driver's training program! i never have issues driving anything after taking that class!
all vehicles i drive are white. (HA!) |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
I simply don't spend much time behind the wheel of bigger cars than my Yaris at this moments, but like I said its gonna change Monday morning.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona (USA)
Posts: 1,058
|
I can't stand driving anything larger than a Corolla/Civic size car. Even the newer Accord and Camry models are too large for my taste. My Yaris is the perfect size for me.
Good luck driving those fat boats.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: toyota yaris yrs Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 642
|
Sprinters would make a sweet camper van tho.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USAnotCA
Posts: 750
|
Can you drive the Yaris into the Sprinter?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
I wish, but it's only 53" interior width. It can however fit up to 137" (11') inside and haul up to 1.55 ton of cargo. However if you drive the Yaris in from the side doors, it may fit, but stick out a little on the sides :p
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 99
|
That looks nice.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
Looks like it won't be ready for Monday, the rankings will take a little longer to be installed. Hopefully will get to drive it before the snow storms hit
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
vroom vroom
Drives: lil red 5-door Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 7,744
|
Aw I thought Sprinter Trueno, that's not quite the same!
__________________
The price of freedom of religion, or of speech, or of the press, is that we must put up with a good deal of rubbish. - Robert Jackson ![]() Bye bye 1NZ... |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
From a Yaris to a Sprinter
This morning the boss handed me the keys of his brand new $80k Sprinter and I got to spend time behind the wheel and get familiar with the gas pedal feel (which is very stiff, but smooth). The humongous wide windshield really helps staying in my lane and tbh it felt very similar to my Yaris in terms of width. The fact that the hood drops quickly and the A pillars being so far to the side is the big reason to the familiar feel. Didn't had a problem parking in a tight driveway at dark between a car and a tree. Suspension is smooth and well balanced, doesn't feel rear heavy, but at first I felt like I was constantly nose diving due to the high seat position and dropping dash and hood. I think the magnifying side view mirrors will take the most getting used to, as I always feel like the car behind me is kissing my bumper. No lumbar adjustment/bottom cushion angle or suspension on the driver seat, fingers crossed that it won't mess up my back. The throttle is very slow, far from being jumpy, on the highway I almost have to floor it to get up to speed in a decent time, but again it's not broken in, still have 1 300km to go. Despite that, the engine doesn't rev high, red zone starts at 4k rpm and torque doesn't seem to show up until 2500 revs, which means I have to rev it up from 1500 when crushing on the highway to actually accelerate faster than a slug.
That's my first impression after spending 1.5h/60km on 6 travels today. Mostly highway, but some residential and boulevard too. Just finished reading the operator's manual, tomorrow i start at lunch time, so I get to stay up late (which I always do anyway) but get up late hehe. Maybe I'll show up a little early tomorrow so I can spend time tweaking seat position and stuff before hitting the road. Attachment 59070
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Nice!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
Got it down to 14.2L/100km average driving a 20km boulevard/residential commute to job site this morning.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: White '07 3dr LB Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 480
|
Finally hit the 1000km, engine is a little more responsive, slowly tackling engine braking on highway off ramps, brakes are still a long way to get full power without fade.
The huge windshield really make it a breeze to drive. No problem at all maneuvering the truck anywhere I want and need to. Factory remote keyless entry sucks, pretty weak remote signal (uses infrared rather than transmitting radio waves), you have to be pointing it at the front left of the truck to expect anything to happen. Headlights are very nice, beam pattern is awesome and not blinding, does offset the ridiculously huge reflection on the windows and windshield that mirror every little lights at night. Spending several hours a day driving the truck since we mostly do service calls. It's pleasant/not tiring to drive. Thanks boss ! |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| DIY Cruise Control FAQ (2006-2010 Yaris) | CTScott | DIY / Maintenance / Service | 468 | 11-19-2024 03:45 PM |
| NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW | VitzBoy | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 7 | 09-20-2023 07:50 AM |
| Natural Gas Yaris | MadMax | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 13 | 06-03-2017 06:10 AM |
| Vacationed in Italy - Brought home a D4D diesel Yaris | CTScott | Photo-Video-Media Gallery | 19 | 07-26-2012 03:13 AM |