Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #397
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ If you take his post in its entirety and don't cherry pick one sentence, you can see that what he meant by "waste" is that you don't get your money back out of the investment in a tangible way.

turboecho has spent more than most of us on his projects and was happy to do it. You can see by the last sentence that he is cheering Parmas on.

carlos, you have 633 posts -- is there one where you admit you're wrong, about anything?

Go for it Parmas, keep at it - your build has taught me a few things.

I think a Mod should delete all this crap - including mine.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #398
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
ah, i've been out of action for a while due to frequent business trips. i see that parmas has made improvement and progress! kudos bro!

well, i've been adding parts non stop to my car too and it has made zero horsepower so far because the built isn't finished yet.

so, i guess i need to start feeling like sh*t now because somebody here thinks by doing all these mods and adding all these parts its a waste of time eh?

i've learned so much from this site because there are good people here whose willing to share, and i hope to be able to return the favor in the future as well.

heh, parmas i think you should ignore all those nay sayers and just go ahead and complete your build. do what you want with it, and we thank you for sharing it with us.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #399
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by changchewsoon View Post
ah, i've been out of action for a while due to frequent business trips. i see that parmas has made improvement and progress! kudos bro!

well, i've been adding parts non stop to my car too and it has made zero horsepower so far because the built isn't finished yet.

so, i guess i need to start feeling like sh*t now because somebody here thinks by doing all these mods and adding all these parts its a waste of time eh?

i've learned so much from this site because there are good people here whose willing to share, and i hope to be able to return the favor in the future as well.

heh, parmas i think you should ignore all those nay sayers and just go ahead and complete your build. do what you want with it, and we thank you for sharing it with us.
Agreed !
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #400
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Awesome build parmas, don't let anyone tell you different. Did you make a final choice on which intake to go with?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #401
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
Awesome build parmas, don't let anyone tell you different. Did you make a final choice on which intake to go with?
Still working on fitting the 2ZZ intake although we stopped due to holidays. Updates next week....
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #402
Parmas

Today I woke adventurous and tried to explain myself why this oil leak is happening.

Since the turbo is behind the engine, compactly placed between the rear of the engine bay and a squid form long manifold it was always like a taboo for me since it is out of reach. I managed to reach the lower inlet part of the turbo and got a nice black oil leak on my finger. If I could explain more exactly, it was exactly at the Big Circlip on the lower intake side (The upper side is dry)Attachment 2743Attachment 2742Attachment 2741. A walk with my finger around it feeled wet (but not much with oil).

During my adventure I noticed the turbo oil feed and drain. They are not exactly in a vertical position (feed north and drain south) but they look more (feed NorthWest and drain South east). Apart of that, the drain is fixed with a 45 degree fitting and then slanting (not vertical) downwards.

The last picture posted why the turbo was mounted this way up because if we tilted more it would hit the engine top cover. So I ask, is there a way to clock the turbo right to get a vertical feed to drain? Also When clocking the turbo will it move only the center bearing housing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil feed_drain.jpg (148.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Oil feed_drain2.jpg (29.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg almost hitting.jpg (233.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #403
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
This might answer most of you questions:
Oil Drain
In general, the larger the oil drain, the better. However, a -10AN is typically sufficient
for proper oil drainage, but try not to have an inner diameter smaller than the drain hole
in the housing as this will likely cause the oil to back up in the center housing. Speaking
of oil backing up in the center housing, a gravity feed needs to be just that! The oil
outlet should follow the direction of gravity +/-35° when installed in the vehicle on level
ground. If a gravity feed is not possible, a scavenge pump should be used to insure that
oil flows freely away from the center housing.
Avoid:
Undulations in the line or extended lengths parallel to the ground
Draining into oil pan below oil level
Dead heading into a component behind the oil pan
Area behind the oil pan (windage tray window) where oil sling occurs from crankshaft
When installing your turbocharger, insure that the turbocharger axis of rotation is parallel
to the level ground within +/- 15°. This means that the oil inlet/outlet should be within
15° of being perpendicular to level ground.

BTW are you using an oil inlet restricter? If not you might have to much oil pressure going into the turbo. That will cause leaks.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #404
Parmas

Thanks cdydjded...

The drain is about double the size of the feed that is sure.

What do you mean by scavenge pump?

I don't know exactly what do you mean by oil inlet restrictor but the turbo feed fitting has an inner hole diameter of about 2~3mm

I know ball bearing turbos don't need much oil to work efficiently but how can I know I am giving the right amount of oil flow/pressure?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #405
cdydjded

Dont worry about the scavenge pump. It really doesnt apply to your issue. You oil feed line should be a -3 or -4 hose & your oil return should be a -8 or -10.

Here is a pic of the oil feed pressure restrictor:
resize.jpg

This lowers the oil pressure going into the turbo. You dont need any more than 30-40psi of oil to go into the turbo.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #406
haschel

Drives: Yaris 5 doors
Oil pressure in the turbo must be:

Idle hot: 5 psi
Maximum load: 25 psi

Idle hot min. flow: 0.1 gal/min
Maximum load: 0.5 gal/min
haschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #407
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschel View Post
Oil pressure in the turbo must be:

Idle hot: 5 psi
Maximum load: 25 psi

Idle hot min. flow: 0.1 gal/min
Maximum load: 0.5 gal/min
From where did you get this information? Is it a general rule on ball bearing turbos?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #408
haschel

Drives: Yaris 5 doors
I take this information in the book Maximum Boost from Corky Bell

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...5120802&sr=8-1

A very good book for custom turbo kit builder :)
haschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #409
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Dont worry about the scavenge pump. It really doesnt apply to your issue. You oil feed line should be a -3 or -4 hose & your oil return should be a -8 or -10.

Here is a pic of the oil feed pressure restrictor:
Attachment 39382

This lowers the oil pressure going into the turbo. You dont need any more than 30-40psi of oil to go into the turbo.
Question. What if the restrictor is placed not on the turbo itself but from the feeding source and the the feed line run from it to the turbo. You should get the same pressure through the line to the turbo right. Reason i ask is that it would be a real pain and much labor for me to take out the turbo to put the restrictor on it. I would rather put it on the source.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #410
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Question. What if the restrictor is placed not on the turbo itself but from the feeding source and the the feed line run from it to the turbo. You should get the same pressure through the line to the turbo right. Reason i ask is that it would be a real pain and much labor for me to take out the turbo to put the restrictor on it. I would rather put it on the source.
The position on the restrictor (on the turbo or off the oil feed log) doesnt matter. Either way will lower the oil pressure to the turbo.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #411
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschel View Post
I take this information in the book Maximum Boost from Corky Bell

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...5120802&sr=8-1

A very good book for custom turbo kit builder :)
As good as that book is, you cant take everything from it literally. It was written 15yrs ago & ALOT has changed.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #412
Parmas

And here is a nice view of the intake almost finished with the 70mm throttle body flange.

Still need polishing and cleaning metal residue and we are good to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake 1.jpg (55.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg intake 2.jpg (56.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg intake 3.jpg (28.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #413
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
looks familiar
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #414
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

carlos, you have 633 posts -- is there one where you admit you're wrong, about anything?
Just for you, Post 309
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=30308&page=18