Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #37
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
Fitting ITB's won't be a problem, Dan actually sells a premade "kit" for this:

www.danstoy.net

You can either remap the ECU to accept the mechanical throttle and TPS signals or you can swap ECU's to a standalone (TEC3 on the scion above) or run the OEM Toyota AE101 or AE111 ECU's.

Keep in mind all of this won't do much for power, believe the red Scion only makes ~130 crank HP, but they did this more for the looks, sound and they are now planning to turbo the car.

If your plan is to go N/A on this engine, the easiest way to do this is to pick up a spare junk motor for under $500, then experiment with cams, and valvetrain, since that is where the biggest restriction is. You can then bump up compression and with beefier rods/bearings/pistons raise rev limiter and making some more top end. I would budget somewhere in the range of $4-$7K for the engine alone.
remap the ecu? How in the world are you getting around the fact that you are tossing the MAF sensor out?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #38
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
remap the ecu? How in the world are you getting around the fact that you are tossing the MAF sensor out?
Many modern computers can operate on as few as 2 of the 5 inputs they originaly contain. Using techtom software, several tuners can "teach" the stock computer to recognize MAP sensor voltage readings instead of MAF readings. It's a simple 0-5 volt sensor and as long as the maps are correct, the effect is the same.

I'm not saying this is the optimal setup, and most times, if you're going to the trouble of all these mods, You'll likely run an aftermarket EMS setup, but it is possible and people do run their cars like this.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #39
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
Many modern computers can operate on as few as 2 of the 5 inputs they originaly contain. Using techtom software, several tuners can "teach" the stock computer to recognize MAP sensor voltage readings instead of MAF readings. It's a simple 0-5 volt sensor and as long as the maps are correct, the effect is the same.

I'm not saying this is the optimal setup, and most times, if you're going to the trouble of all these mods, You'll likely run an aftermarket EMS setup, but it is possible and people do run their cars like this.
How in the world is a map sensor going to work well with no intake plenum.
I know that electromotive used to make a complete aftermarket ITB and ecu setup for the Dodge Neon.

After reading that above listed link I don't think anyone is going to want to drop any money on n/a mods.

The question of the hour should be what motor can be swapped into the chassis. Hopefully some company comes up with swap mounts for the Celica motor.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #40
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
How in the world is a map sensor going to work well with no intake plenum.
I know that electromotive used to make a complete aftermarket ITB and ecu setup for the Dodge Neon.

After reading that above listed link I don't think anyone is going to want to drop any money on n/a mods.

The question of the hour should be what motor can be swapped into the chassis. Hopefully some company comes up with swap mounts for the Celica motor.
As long as there is a vaccum reference it will work just fine. In the old days we ran alpha n which in iself is the most primative way to control efi.
Let me add that forced induction is the best way to make some ponies and still maintain great driveability
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #41
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
Ok that write up on that other site was kind of disapointing. He spend over 1k on just the work on his head and didnt get junk. Plus it seems like the money spent on these motors arnt really worth it.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #42
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
looks awesome, whether or not it does anything :)

the lexus they have on there... now thats a show car!
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #43
graywolf_14

sc

Yeah it seems that tc or sc is the only way to get hp out of them but with a sc u loose ur mpg.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #44
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
look what I found a pic of
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #45
graywolf_14

Yeah

I think unless they can get around the icu we will be limited in what we can get out of these motors.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #46
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
look what I found a pic of
umm a member of this site has a scion supercharger already installed, and i believe acting up!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #47
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
well this is the one built for the Vitz