Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #37
Berkut

Drives: Toyota Vitz '05
Sasha Grey. Today. Instagram
Attached Images

Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #38
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Sasha Grey. Today. Instagram
And here I was complaining about single digit temps above zero and some snow.
I also shouldn't have searched that name....
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #39
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
And here in "Great White North" where I live it is +4C, cloudy and no snow. Just the thought or -44C make me cold.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #40
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
In snow.

Clutch. Drive on the clutch. Do not add any power when driving off, just let the clutch gently bite and take you away. After that gently feed a little bit of power. Shift smoothly, and DO revmatch. Otherwise you'll shiftlock much easyer. Not as big a problem but still a situation. Also use the clutch when going into a corner. The front wheels not having to transmit the power to the road makes them much more willing to follow the steering wheel.
Also brakes. Ease off a little when you feel the ABS Kick in. And it will kick in early on snow. You want to be at the point just before the abs kicks in, that's the most performance you will get out of your abs-equipped brakes ever. Unless you have real expensive abs. (race abs costs a yaris and then some in some cases). On snow though: Easy on that pedal, when you feel it kick in, back off a little. Because: ABS unleashes/disengages the brakes.
In an auto, just gently let go of the brake and don't start feeding power immediately. You'll just spin the wheels a lot getting snow and ugly stuff caked in the wheel wells.

And last but not least:

LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, NOT WHERE YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO.

Yes, I've seen OP's post is 5 months old now, but a lot of drivers would do well to remember this.

If you've got space turning + e-brake + clutch entry is about one of the most aggressive slip angles I ever did get with my 40 bhp Panda.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote