Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #55
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Well obviously for a Yaris for example you not going to use a I/C with 4" inlets & outlets with a core size of 30" wide by 16" high by 4" thick. A proper size I/C is key to making it a necessary addition to a turbo kit. Again there are no significant drawbacks to a properly installed I/C with the correct size I/C & piping.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #56
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
my i/c is pretty small and we are getting beautifully cold intake temps under high boost.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #57
advocate

Drives: car
I'm not getting why the xA kit with a modified downpipe is such a horrifying idea

If you think you can source a kit cheaper from independent sources that's understandable...

If you're trying to avoid management like the devil, then I understand as well.

But if you accept the fact that you need a tune, HKS is a proven company...
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #58
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
HKS is good, but bot worth the extra $$$$... that HKS kit is mostly turbo, I'll take a Garrett turbo for half the cost. My next mods are diff, clutch, and flywheel on the car... then turbo. By that time Micro Image's kit will be ready, that or I've emailed Zage about buying a turbo kit w/o the turbo. If they say they will, I may buy the kit. Seeing as all I would need to do is buy, besides a Garett turbo, is a stock oil pan, tap it, then get an EMS, and a tune. I'd rather go with Micro Image's kit, figure less than 1k for manifold and down pipe, less than 1k for turbo and that gives me about 1-2k for the rest.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #59
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

I'm really considering buying the zage turbo kit w/o the turbo:

"Normally we don't recommend doing so because every part of our turbo kit is designed to fit each other, so if you do not buy the turbo in the kit then you will have to do modification yourself, if you are installing them on 1NZ-FE engine.

However, if you dont' mind doing the modification yourself our Yaris turbo kit would be USD$1000. "

should I do it?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #60
cdydjded

Id suggest buy the kit as is. The worst that can happen is that the turbo has issues, nothing a rebuild cannot handle. You could always replace the insides of the Zage kit with Garrett internals. If you buy it without the turbo you have no choice but to use a GT25. Also dont even bother using their pan. If you want to save some $$ tell them to keep the oil pan. It does not work.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #61
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

yea I was thinking about not getting the pan too, it'll knock off $100. I only want to use a GT25. It's a daily driver and having 120whp would be amazing at this point, I can't imagine 140-150whp. I trust Garrett more though, so that will be my route if I get the Zage.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #62
Tatsh

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris LE
How much is the zage kit with everything?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #63
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Also dont even bother using their pan. If you want to save some $$ tell them to keep the oil pan. It does not work.
I noticed that many "kits" of the yaris include a different oil pan which looks about the same size (no increase in oil capacity) although I am not sure its the same material as stock

Just curious about it ...
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #64
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

The kit costs about $1,800 shipped... but i'd rather spend $900 on a turbo $900 on a kit w/o turbo and pan and buy the res and still be under $3k. The only oil pan that looks decent is the Greddy and it's probably not worth the money.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #65
cdydjded

The Zage kit pan is cast aluminum with cooling fins. It does not hold any more oil than the factory stamped steel pan. The pan fits but the oil drain position is completely wrong. It located towards the front of the car & does not drain correctly.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #66
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
The Zage kit pan is cast aluminum with cooling fins. It does not hold any more oil than the factory stamped steel pan. The pan fits but the oil drain position is completely wrong. It located towards the front of the car & does not drain correctly.
thank god for product research
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #67
cdydjded

Actually its not research, I have the pan on my car. Took a chance & it did not result in anything good.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #68
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
why not jack the rear of the car up?

logic > product research
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #69
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
I'm really considering buying the zage turbo kit w/o the turbo
This seems like a pretty decent option... Although fuel management still needs to be addressed unfortunately.

Has anyone on YW purchased the entire kit yet and got it working? And if so, was there any fitment issues with piping/etc? (besides the crummy oil pan that is)

BTW, if you go zage with a GT2554 and it works well, I'm totally going to copy you
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #70
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

I've read through a lot of material and actually found that that does work... however I would just weld a bung onto the stock oil pan and then for EMS, you are basically on your own. Greddy seems to be the best, from what I can see for EMS. Your other options are a stand alone EMS. With that you would have to completely remap and fine tune everything. I don't know If I'm even considering turbo with the FT-86 around the corner. It seems to have too much press to be put back any longer and by the time it comes out I will be turbo. Turbo or putting the money towards a 2nd car, the second car option seems to really make more sense. As much as I would like more power, it's a big decision, even If I am only looking at 3k with a tune.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #71
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
This seems like a pretty decent option... Although fuel management still needs to be addressed unfortunately.

Has anyone on YW purchased the entire kit yet and got it working? And if so, was there any fitment issues with piping/etc? (besides the crummy oil pan that is)

BTW, if you go zage with a GT2554 and it works well, I'm totally going to copy you
I have the kit in my closet for about a month now just dont have the time to put it all on. Wife had a baby and i am working double shifts. Trying to locate a camera to take some pics of it for peterpoop
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #72
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
Turbo or putting the money towards a 2nd car, the second car option seems to really make more sense.
If you're in need of a second car then I couldn't agree more with dropping the turbo idea and grabbing an FT-86 instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have the kit in my closet for about a month now just dont have the time to put it all on. Wife had a baby and i am working double shifts. Trying to locate a camera to take some pics of it for peterpoop
Not to go off topic but: I could have sworn you were building your own kit? Either way, I'm really eager to see you get this kit on ...

What piggyback are you using?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote