Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #73
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
That's tight man; I feel like I go from thread to thread going "I want that. And that. And that. . .. and that... .. ... . and that.. . .......... and that.. .........." :D
Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #74
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
That's tight man; I feel like I go from thread to thread going "I want that. And that. And that. . .. and that... .. ... . and that.. . .......... and that.. .........." :D
That's how it starts. Every time.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #75
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
Hello! I got my light the same one above^ from MI couple months back and I finally have some days off to do this diy. Can anyone please help me with the wiring? If anyone can show me point to point where to connect the wires that would be great! I also wiuld like the halo as run as my daylight running since it requires it in my province...And anyone else have any idea how and where to attach the multicollor back leds?
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #76
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
We don't yet require daytime running headlights in the US. I would get with CTScott. The only reservation I would have as far as running the halo as the DRL would be that the DRL module puts out too many volts/watts (whichever the correct term is) to power just the LED ring. My halos are tapped into the parking lights (the little 194 wedge in the headlamp cluster) and the DRL module powers the full headlight at a reduced intensity. Running the HIDs themselves with the DRL module plugged in will lead to problems for the same reason. The HIDs don't take kindly to pulsated power (reduced from full intensity as they are with halogens) and would flicker, or not illuminate at all and that could result in prematurely failing ballasts.

As for wiring, the long red positive wire with the short negative wire (it is significantly longer than the other one) is for the passenger side headlight since it is further away from the battery. These mount on the positive battery post. The short one, obviously goes to the driver's side. The negative terminals (short black wires with the circular metal tab) are your grounds, and those need to be bolted to the bare chassis of the vehicle. I mounted both of mine on the strut towers.

The rest of the wires for the ballasts and the wires that come out of the back of the projectors can only be mounted one way. Remember to plug the headlight from the old halogens into the mating connector on the new set. As far as the LED multicolor backlight rings, I didn't bother with those because that was more wiring that I didn't care to sort through in the dead of winter and I find them rather cheesy and unnecessary anyway. Mounting and wiring those is up to you but I wouldn't know how to help you there.

Good luck.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #77
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
Would you hppen to have some pictures of the wiring of your car? Im kind of lost... Sorry but Im really new to this.... Please help
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #78
my2sense

Drives: 2007 Red 5dr RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggydee View Post
I also wiuld like the halo as run as my daylight running since it requires it in my province...
Hey Boggydee, the halos won't be bright enough to use as DRL. I know since that was my original plan too. I had to rewire the DRL to the fog lights as DRL and use a relay to turn off the fogs when the HID headlights come on similar to the default DRL actions.

Although the wiring looks complicated, it's actually the easiest part of the install. SAV912 pretty much laid it out for you in his last post. Read it again and label it against each connections and you should be fine.

Good luck
my2sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #79
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Hey, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I was wondering if you had any more pics of the completed retrofit on your car. I was planning on blacking out the headlights also!! I've seen another liftback with a retrofit in the original chrome headlight housing and I must say, it looked rather funky from the front. That's why I had planned to black out the housing the same way you did!!
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #80
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I actually still have a few of these in stock. Not going to complain about the thread necro.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #81
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Hey, its funny how this thread just popped up again. I actually bought these from SAV912 a few weeks ago and just swapped headlights.

Got a small issue. Been raining pretty consistant past 2 days. This morning it was still raining and of course I ran thru a pretty big puddle which got water in the right side of my engine bay. I didn't notice this at first until a mile before I got to work and could see the reflection of my headlights in the bumper in front of me and noticed my right headlight is out. They Halo still works, just not the headlight.

I haven't tried to diag this yet. I was gonna do this when I got home. I checked under the hood when I parked and noticed the ballast was a little wet. but not soaked. Haven't check the fuse yet, that is still a possiblility. I plan to go home and just swap the left and right. If not that, maybe the bulbs, I will just be doing swapping trial and error and then some voltage checks.

Worse Case, is it possible to just purchase one Ballast if it is the known issue? I guess this is more directed to Garm.

I will try to take some pictures if you would like, 07liftback. Let me know any prefered pictures that are not taken already
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #82
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Check that the relay is right side up....I had one fill up with water one time...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #83
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
yes, I stock separate parts now, no problem at all.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #84
ilikerice

saweet, thanks guys

Still raining like crazy here. So yea. hopefully it will stop today
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #85
ilikerice

Bad ground. Need to find a better location for my stuff on the right hand side.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #86
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
cuz the furthest right front corner valve cover bolt is too far? lol.

also try the engine mount bolts