Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
having a crank damper has nothing to do with internal balance. The crank actually deflects...especially at higher RPMs & high power outputs. doesnt matter if is a old domestic motor or a k20a in a honda.

without typing out a huge thing about this subject ( I used to work for ATI Racing years ago, who makes the best crank dampers) Most lower output economy motors dont really feature a real crank damper, but rather an accessory damper.
Now that's a damper...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
having a crank damper has nothing to do with internal balance. The crank actually deflects...especially at higher RPMs & high power outputs. doesnt matter if is a old domestic motor or a k20a in a honda.

without typing out a huge thing about this subject ( I used to work for ATI Racing years ago, who makes the best crank dampers) Most lower output economy motors dont really feature a real crank damper, but rather an accessory damper.

4/20 i made good power (107/104) with a weapon*r header & my own full 2" mandrel-bent exhaust which seems to be a great match for our motor. 2.25" would most likely shift the power band upwards, but with minimal gain. I would test on mine, but Im working on a turbo kit now.
Yeah, I have a 2.25" (crush bent) resonator back on my sedan, and it pushed the torque up past 3,500 rpm, where I'm rarely ever at. With how my car is (that exhaust, K&N sri, NST CR-Lite crank pulley, and my heavy rim/tire combo), it really feels like I have turbo lag up until I pass that point. I want my torque back down lower
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Either way you go is up to you but I've seen the stock pulley fail on a corolla where the rubber separated from the outer ring and left my friend stranded on the side of the road. A solid pulley will never fail. I'm sure the rubbers only there to lessen vibration to the belt driven accessories anyway. I've had mine for well over 100,000 km to no ill effect.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
But in no way am I saying my car is gutless, I've surprised some of my friends with having a total of 4 people in my car. LOL
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L
 
Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 908
^ buy my old exhaust from antho ;) hes selling it cheap
__________________
-Greg...the Exhaust Freak.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
^ buy my old exhaust from antho ;) hes selling it cheap
I'd love to since that's one of the best sounding exhausts on a Yaris I've heard. But, any extra cash (which is 0 right now) I have will have to go towards camera gear (camera gear can make me money, whereas modding my car eaets my money ).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Setting the record straight:

1. The Yaris stock pulley DOES have a small rubber damping strip.
2. Straight from a Toyota engineer: "The purpose is to reduce noise in the cabin ONLY; it has nothing whatsoever to do with engine longevity".
3. Conclusion: An aftermarket pulley might cause a bit more cabin noise/vibration, but that is all.
4. #3 is proven by the hundreds of aftermarket Yaris pulleys out there with not one provable engine failure or shred of evidence that a solid pulley causes damage on this car.
5. This has all been covered over and over again on this forum and many others -- anyone bothering to do a search first wouldn't need to rehash the argument, at least in reference to the Yaris.

Are we good now?
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Flipper_1938
 
Flipper_1938's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Setting the record straight:

1. The Yaris stock pulley DOES have a small rubber damping strip.
2. Straight from a Toyota engineer: "The purpose is to reduce noise in the cabin ONLY; it has nothing whatsoever to do with engine longevity".
3. Conclusion: An aftermarket pulley might cause a bit more cabin noise/vibration, but that is all.
4. #3 is proven by the hundreds of aftermarket Yaris pulleys out there with not one provable engine failure or shred of evidence that a solid pulley causes damage on this car.
5. This has all been covered over and over again on this forum and many others -- anyone bothering to do a search first wouldn't need to rehash the argument, at least in reference to the Yaris.

Are we good now?
They didn't do a damn thing else to reduce cabin noise....why'd they pick the crank hub to sound deaden?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
They didn't do a damn thing else to reduce cabin noise....why'd they pick the crank hub to sound deaden?
probably because it fit, and it came from another car.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L
 
Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 908
cant have ying without the yang ;)
__________________
-Greg...the Exhaust Freak.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
cant have ying without the yang ;)
lol, once I get some paying gigs, I'll have some extra cash for other hobbies
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It reduces vibration felt with the hands through the steering wheel, from what I was told. More vibration than noise, I guess.

Smoothness is associated with more expensive cars? I dunno, nor do I care much.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
I don't know about the Yaris, but every one of the motor mounts on the Echo has a big chunk of cast steel mounted to it, two of them rubber mounted for vibration reduction. It just adds weight to the car for all I care about vibrations. The only vibrations I'm ever aware of are at idle.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Well, I actually like it when idling you can't even tell if the engine is on or off except for the needle on the tach...

...but that's just the daily driver in me, I guess.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scott, LA
Posts: 456
lucky you, I've got the A/C idle drop, which is apparently a very common thing on the Yaris. it idles smooth as glass, then dips for a second likes it's going to stall then goes back up. from what I've read though it's very common and considered normal by Toyota techs...something to do with the gas saving features of the car.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Mine also does that to on AC which we hardly ever run. It senses a load and then notches up the idle. The idle also goes up slightly when the lights are turned on.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Well, I actually like it when idling you can't even tell if the engine is on or off
Tooter, a horse would be too loud for you.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Tooter, a horse would be too loud for you.
Your excellent exhaust sure isn't, Garm.
Inside the car, it's virtually silent at idle.
Stepping on the gas is another story...
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.