Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #1279
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Is it welded together yet?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1280
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Is it welded together yet?
Not yet. Right now I've got work piled up to the moon, so the manifold is on the back burner until I can get caught up.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #1281
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
238,900 miles (384,400 km), that is a lot of work is it all paper work?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #1282
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Plus the thing about being able to breathe.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #1283
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
238,900 miles (384,400 km), that is a lot of work is it all paper work?
No, I don't do paper.
I'm a sparky.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #1284
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Plus the thing about being able to breathe.
Hey Garm,

Injen sent out a good replacement tube, and the intake looks great!

It was late so I only got to run it to see if there would be a CEL. No light.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #1285
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Looks great - I like the little shield.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1286
tooter
play every day

I do too.

The design is very simple and direct. It's a whopping 3 feet long and actually very quiet. It's also easy to move around if I start messing around with the intake manifold.

Check out the header. LCE makes a really neato design that folds a long tube header into exactly the same space as the stock header. It fits like a glove!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #1287
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
^^^ RE: "long tube header" - Please forgive this noob question, it really is a question and not a troll, but why does it matter the length of a pipe? Don't you want the exhaust to just get out via the back of your car rather than in the engine bay?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1288
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Check out the header. LCE makes a really neato design that folds a long tube header into exactly the same space as the stock header. It fits like a glove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
^^^ RE: "long tube header" - Please forgive this noob question, it really is a question and not a troll, but why does it matter the length of a pipe? Don't you want the exhaust to just get out via the back of your car rather than in the engine bay?
Not my wording but makes sense:
Quote:
Exhaust headers with equal length tubes have been shown to develop slightly more power on an open exhaust system, but not when hooked up to a street system with mufflers. Fact is, most street motors with shorty headers will produce the same power as they would with expensive equal length headers.

Equal length tubes can produce more power, but they have to be the right length for the specific motor at the RPM range where you want the power. What that means is lots of custom fabrication and dyno testing, which translates into lots of time and money.

For racing applications, the slight gain may justify the cost, but competition cars can be more easily built "around the engine" than street cars. When you're working within the confines of a given body style and chassis, with motor mounts, starter, steering linkage and accessories to think about, the way the headers fit become more important.

That's where the compact or "shorty" style header shines. You get a significant performance increase compared to stock exhaust manifolds, at an off-the-shelf price..
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #1289
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Don't you want the exhaust to just get out via the back of your car rather than in the engine bay?
Remove your header and see how much power you lose with no exhaust at all. A LOT.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #1290
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Hey Garm,

Injen sent out a good replacement tube, and the intake looks great!

It was late so I only got to run it to see if there would be a CEL. No light.
What vehicle is this?
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1291
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
^ That is his yaris
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #1292
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Remove your header and see how much power you lose with no exhaust at all. A LOT.
I can attest to that
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #1293
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Well that's strange, I never would have guessed that would even affect the performance of a car. So exhaust pipes on the header make the engine work better rather than having nothing there to restrict... to me that's just really weird, hehe
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #1294
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Well that's strange, I never would have guessed that would even affect the performance of a car. So exhaust pipes on the header make the engine work better rather than having nothing there to restrict... to me that's just really weird, hehe
It's all based on the Helmholtz principle, the Bernoulli effect and fluid velocity. Lots of crazy physics and maths to explain it, but not really relevant unless you're into that sort of thing. Here's my understanding of it: escaping exhaust pulses down each tube (Helmholtz), drawing a slight vacuum on the adjacent tubes (Bernoulli). Velocity and pressure of a fluid in a tube is decreased by increasing the diameter. Decreasing the pressure means easier flow, but lower velocity and less scavenging effect...I think.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #1295
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm View Post
What vehicle is this?
It's my 2012 Toyota Tacoma. I'm a forever diehard loyal Toyota owner.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #1296
tooter
play every day

Quote:
I just got it because it looks really neato.