Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #19
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaryaryaris View Post
I figured that. My comment was more toward the "get taller tires" drive-by comment (which I already know and isn't helpful in the slightest)

I'm already finding info on other sights suggesting the sedan has a taller 5th gear than the HB? is this true?

Also, the 5th gear from the Echo is taller (as I suspected) and might be swapped out quite easy.

I'll keep looking around.

Oh, it IS Christmas day. Is that why all the stores are closed? Shows how much I pay attention to such things...:)
I see a lot of people who auto x get shorter tires and smaller rims to increase their acceleration. I would think the opposite of larger diameter rim and combined with a larger tire you would get slower acceleration but it would make it easier on your engine once you get up to speed. Thus lowering your rpms at highway speeds if thats your only concern.

A heck of a lot cheaper than tearing out your transmission and rebuilding it or swapping in another.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Yaryaryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I see a lot of people who auto x get shorter tires and smaller rims to increase their acceleration. I would think the opposite of larger diameter rim and combined with a larger tire you would get slower acceleration but it would make it easier on your engine once you get up to speed. Thus lowering your rpms at highway speeds if thats your only concern.

A heck of a lot cheaper than tearing out your transmission and rebuilding it or swapping in another.
Swapping out the 5th gear in a FW vehicle is often quite easy. I've done it to two other vehicles without even removing the trans. The final drive gear would be trickier.

So far I've read that the echo has a taller 5th gear (by a little) and a slightly taller final drive. The entire trans. doesn't seem to be swappable from what I understand.

Boy do I regret digging this thread back up.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
The last car I had that would operate in the 45+mpg pulled 4 grand at 60mph. RPM has little to do with fuel mileage, it is how much fuel is used every time the engine rotates; not the same thing. It seems that everyone expects good performance AND high mpg in the same package; the Yaris is the best compromise I have found.

Taller, narrower tires ARE a viable solution, like it or not. Tall, narrow tires have less rolling resistance, better fuel mileage is the result. So, why isn't that helpful?
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #22
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
get taller tires...
Quote:
So i take it know one here knows a damn thing about this topic?
Actually Yaryaryaris, Cosworth is on topic.

He's correctly suggesting that using taller tires (larger diameter) will create less tire revolutions to go a certain speed than the standard size. Hence, less engine RPM needed to maintain speed.

That said, it won't make as much difference as a taller final gear of course.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Of course the main reason why Toyota didn't put a 6th gear in is economics. It obviously costs more. And a taller 5th gear creates weak torque performance on the highway. So that's not the answer.

Most automakers are starting to put in 6 speed auto's in cars as a way to boost MPG but only in the middle and upper class cars. Econoboxes will be last to get them.

But when they do, it will do wonders for highway MPG. Yaris would certainly be EPA estimated over 42 and 45-50mpg could probably be achieved.

Last edited by Kal-El; 12-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
Quote:
Oh boy, now my forum issue writing/spelling style is being graded (always a sign of critical thought on the hunt for fault finding.)

Would it do any good to proclaim "You Win!" or will this thread just keep going?

As stated before, my "Does ANYone know..." comment was directed DIRECTLY at the "get taller tires" comment (me quoting it was a clue) any other chiming in that's NOT related to transmission gearing IMHO is self proclaimed forum masters broadcasting the pecking order for said newbies (no worries, all forums have them)

Q: did my use of the word "damn" hurt someone's sensitivities?

Please, keep pecking away. I'll keep reading, and feeling fully entertained...

Or just drop it.
Not being graded, but you stated the attitude is reflective of what you have received. However, it was pointed out you made the first move.

Taller tires would help the gearing and would be a lot cheaper than replacing gears IMO

You claim to have information about the taller gears yet refuse to post it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
Yaryaryaris

That's what passes for thread clean up here? Deleting my responses?

No problem going elsewhere, this forum reeks of shit....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #26
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Yaryaryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...
so original. You're a special guy....
Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Just so everybody knows , the correct phrase is " Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you "

Oooookaaaayy , I'll STFU now