Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Yaris vs Mirage Comparison

Man....what a tongue and cheek way to say the Yaris is a better choice:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-compare-cars/

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Man....what a tongue and cheek way to say the Yaris is a better choice:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-compare-cars/
Yep. Sounds as though he drove both of them, but didn't bother taking his own MPG sample .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
A lot of people are obsessed with "cutting-edge tech" and technology-bloat in their vehicles, and are quick to crack on the "archaic" engine/drive-train of the Yaris as proof of inferiority - when in-fact that very simplicity and time-tested hardware is exactly what gives it virtually bullet-proof reliability for the long-haul (200-300K+ miles). I really don't care if it does 3 or so less MPG versus a CVT or whatever.

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, considering that I have driven the much-lauded 2015 Fit EX quite a bit (via a good friend who has one) and still prefer the feel (and look, minus those wheels) of the Yaris SE - which I plan to purchase in late July this year. And this is coming from someone who has owned nothing but m/t Honda/Acura cars of various sorts for the last 34 years. I personally find the Yaris SE to be a worthy successor to the the original CRX Si (my favorite purchased vehicle, and least expensive to boot) - especially with a just a little bit of aftermarket love thrown in.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-24-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I would say it sounds like the writer does not particularly enjoy reviewing econocars, and couldn't be assed to pretend he cares

Let's face it, the Yaris is a great little car, but it's just not that exciting.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #5
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
A lot of people are obsessed with "cutting-edge tech" and technology-bloat in their vehicles, and are quick to crack on the "archaic" engine/drive-train of the Yaris as proof of inferiority - when in-fact that very simplicity and time-tested hardware is exactly what gives it virtually bullet-proof reliability for the long-haul (200-300K+ miles). I really don't care if it does 3 or so less MPG versus a CVT or whatever.

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, considering that I have driven the much-lauded 2015 Fit EX quite a bit (via a good friend who has one) and still prefer the feel (and look, minus those wheels) of the Yaris SE - which I plan to purchase in late July this year. And this is coming from someone who has owned nothing but m/t Honda/Acura cars of various sorts for the last 34 years. I personally find the Yaris SE to be a worthy successor to the the original CRX Si (my favorite purchased vehicle, and least expensive to boot) - especially with a just a little bit of aftermarket love thrown in.
I'm also wanting a new a Yaris SE, manual of course. I'm stuck with an Avalon lease till July 2016? Think I will be able to get one next year around that time? I heard Mazda is making the next Yaris, and that's a deal breaker.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
I personally find the Yaris SE to be a worthy successor to the the original CRX Si (my favorite purchased vehicle, and least expensive to boot) - especially with a just a little bit of aftermarket love thrown in.
That may explain what keeps my coming back to my yaris after only at the new models.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

I agree with all of this, but I just wish the SE had the tighter turning circle of the L and LE.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I agree with all of this, but I just wish the SE had the tighter turning circle of the L and LE.
Yep!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
That f#$%^&* c^&* who wrote that article suffers from what almost all reviewers suffer from. They don't judge small cars as worthy in and of themselves. They invariably compare them to larger more powerful cars like BMWs.

Which drives me crazy!

Ive driven the Spark and the Mirage and while both are of inferior construction to the Yaris, the Mirage is clearly the better of the Spark.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
That f#$%^&* c^&* who wrote that article suffers from what almost all reviewers suffer from.

Quote:
Ive driven the Spark and the Mirage and while both are of inferior construction to the Yaris, the Mirage is clearly the better of the Spark.
Wow. Knock me over with a feather. Some Yarisworld members also have Sparks among their vehicles, and I don't think I've ever seen a negative post on Yarisworld about the Spark. Just sitting in both, opening and closing the doors, hoods, and hatches, and starting the Mirage and letting it run for a few minutes....I would have guessed the opposite. I haven't driven either of them.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
428CobraJet

You MUST drive the Mirage. ....
Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post

Wow. Knock me over with a feather. Some Yarisworld members also have Sparks among their vehicles, and I don't think I've ever seen a negative post on Yarisworld about the Spark. Just sitting in both, opening and closing the doors, hoods, and hatches, and starting the Mirage and letting it run for a few minutes....I would have guessed the opposite. I haven't driven either of them.
Whoops I didn't drive either...now that I remember. But I did give both cars a careful going over by eye...and probably came to the conclusion not to drive them because no way I would consider one.

I do stand by my assessment visually though. The Spark to my eye (which has built things that are in orbit) was SO badly put together looking my reaction was "Wow. Better than the 2001 Rio...but not by much...a truly shocking effort at car building!"

My apologies to Spark owners!

Ditto the styling. Incredibly awful! Worse than the Mirage, easily. Whenever I see effort at styling I think: Rouge on a Whore...run!

Last edited by bronsin; 06-05-2015 at 09:56 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
You MUST drive the Mirage. ....
Don't know where you are going with that (I forget what you've posted re your impression of the Mirage ).

I've watched some YouTube, etc driving reviews that members have posted links to in Yarisworld threads re the Mirage. On a long ago thread, CTScott posted that some non custom aftermarket seat covers 'fit like a loose fitting diaper'. I thought that was a wonderful, hilarious statement. The Mirage video reviews left me with the impression of the Mirage being like those ill fitting seat covers .
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Whoops I didn't drive either...now that I remember. But I did give both cars a careful going over by eye...and probably came to the conclusion not to drive them because no way I would consider one.

I do stand by my assessment visually though. The Spark to my eye (which has built things that are in orbit) was SO badly put together looking my reaction was "Wow. Better than the 2001 Rio...but not by much...a truly shocking effort at car building!"

My apologies to Spark owners!

Ditto the styling. Incredibly awful! Worse than the Mirage, easily. Whenever I see effort at styling I think: Rouge on a Whore...run!
From the base of the windshield wiper/wipers forward, I like the styling of the Spark. The rest of the car.....ah, no. I don't really like the styling of the Mirage.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
428CobraJet

Mirage= primitive.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
Mirage= primitive.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #17
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Test drove a '15 Mirage yesterday . Took it about 30 miles .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5157.JPG (169.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5158.JPG (172.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5154.JPG (218.7 KB, 59 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
bronsin

Gotta love that 1.2!