Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Anyone in here own a small business/Landlord?

So story is, we are looking at this place to move out from our old location.
I got there with the new landlord, looked around, everything is good.
Then i started asking what is the amount?....all that doesn't matter, but this is what matter
He told us we only pay for electricity and phone, water he pay/free.
Then he emailed us the contract, and in the contract stated we only got 600 gallon limit of water, if we exceed that we need to pay. Ok so what is it mean by water free?
Called him up and ask why you told me FREE and now there is limit?
He harsh on us on the phone and said that you guy don't need that much water so that is why i put water limit on there. WTF? So ok i asked him this question to test him out. Can you put a meter there so i can keep track of it?, and he yelled at me on the phone and said I'LL NOT SPEND HUNDREDS OF MONEYS TO PUT A WATER METER UP. So this is another BULLPOOP we figure out, the whole building 20+ building/warehouse only got One Meter, he Can't keep track/or able to tell who is used more water than other.
I mean i'm not angry, but i was thinking this is a trap for collecting more rent in the future, or this guy has an poop mind.
600Gallons a month equal to 20 gallons a day/ Anyone in here tell me how is this works? We rent a place to focus on business and have to worry about water too on our mind? 20 Gallons a day = 20 toilet flushes <-------tell me if this example is wrong?
We in business for 11 years, and i can't believe a landlord who put a limit on water.
This is a small trick in the paper but for anyone in the future please look out for this.

Last edited by jamal1984; 12-04-2011 at 10:52 PM.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
That would be about the time I would contact someone who can help. Look up your local set of landlord/tenant laws, and see who is listed for enforcement. That arbitrary limit for water barely allows for toilet flushing by all tenants, and would just maybe at a stretch, a shower for one tenant a day.

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
If you are having this much trouble with the landlord already, I would look for another place to live, if you haven't already signed the contract. This landlord sounds like he is going to be a real pain to deal with.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
jamal1984

that is what i'm thinking, since i only signed the proposal, and not the contract i will call him up tomorrow and tell him this is not gonna work, in the contract there is way to many details that is not acceptable.
Beside he yelled at me on the phone, so i think this is a withdraw and looking for another place.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Sam8madness

Drives: 2007 Toyota yaris hatch
I'd walk away from the deal honestly, if it's complicated already, imagine what he might try to pull once he's got your name on a lease.
Sam8madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
stay away from unreasonable yelling landlords.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
There are lots of tools, for example, that use water.

Tile Saw.
Parts Cleaner.
Etc.
VERY EASY to use more than 20 gallons a day, which he is paying for.

That's only 15-20 toilet flushes man -- TOTALLY REASONABLE on the landlord's part.

You were out of line based on your first post. "wtf" is no way to get business done.

And "FREE" means lots of things. I own three businesses, and I've been a landlord more than once. Just my bit.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
But, 15-20 toilet flushes for 20+ units? On one meter? With no differentiation between tenants? What if the tenant next door is a granite counter place with the wet saw? Should OP be forced to pay more for water that the other business is using?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
jamal1984

sorry for the confusion, i did not cuss the landlord on the phone.
WTF = What the fuck is like when you are think, a quote in your mind, not speaking like that on the phone with another business man. When you do business you know it's better not to cuss or used that kindda language.
FREE = Mean a lot of things? Well Free = Without Charge, if there is a limit = NOT FREE. EXAMPLE: "We do window tinting, we offered customer LIFETIME WARRANTY= what is it mean, it's mean as long as the owner own that vehicle and the tint peel off, etc...it's cover under warranty = FREE everything = Parts and Labor = FREE" that is FREE. If there is a limit under LIFETIME warranty than it's not Lifetime warranty = BOGUS.
Caliyaris = how do you think 15-20 flush of toilet a day will work for most businesses? There are at least 2 employees run a business = 1 employee pee at least 4 times a day = that is normal if you pees less than 4 times a day you need to go and check with your doctor. Anyway
2 employees = 8 times a day.
Washing hands = 8 times a day.
"HOLY F you only got 4 gallons left, what about customers? we need to tell them to go to gas station and PEES? Don't offer them any water while they wait? if you got diarrhea what happen? should we hire another employees? NOOOO we can't cause he gonna pees 4 times a day and OH MY GOD, we over WATER LIMIT = HELPPPPPP"
Common now, we are in business we know how this work, "Water Limit" = another trick to make extra moneys.

I can't believe we are living in the USA and we have to strict/limit for water. A country that peoples throwing food and more food away sometime just for fun, buying milk and pour down the drain to help with the pipes.
A Country that you can go to Any Gas Stations used their restroom, flushes 20 times if you wanted to, used their paper toilets, walk out the door and hear the word Thank You from the Clerk.
Shame on us.

Last edited by jamal1984; 12-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
But, 15-20 toilet flushes for 20+ units? On one meter? With no differentiation between tenants? What if the tenant next door is a granite counter place with the wet saw? Should OP be forced to pay more for water that the other business is using?
As far as i understand, i don't think the landlord know which unit used more water than other, since they only got one water METER.
Correct me if i'm wrong
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8madness View Post
I'd walk away from the deal honestly, if it's complicated already, imagine what he might try to pull once he's got your name on a lease.
yes a man who not honest his words in the beginning is not a good man to deal with in a long run.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
stay away from unreasonable yelling landlords.
as i remember this back then when i'm still in business school that this is another solution to scare your customer and force them to sign a lease.
If you yell at them or harsh on them, making them loose face some peoples got scare and sign the contract. = this is a trick that used the most from bad business man.
I dropped out of college not quite a while after that :) and now i'm picking up with books.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
As far as i understand, i don't think the landlord know which unit used more water than other, since they only got one water METER.
Obviously, if that's the case. So why is this even a thread?

Quote:
I can't believe we are living in the USA and we have to strict/limit for water.
Try that argument in Southern California. Or Nevada.

It's clear from your posts, and your argumentativeness, that you've made up your mind already.
I'm sorry I thought you were looking for actual advice. RE-reading the first post, you actually didn't ask anything.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hey jamal get a lawyer
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Obviously, if that's the case. So why is this even a thread?

Try that argument in Southern California. Or Nevada.

It's clear from your posts, and your argumentativeness, that you've made up your mind already.
I'm sorry I thought you were looking for actual advice. RE-reading the first post, you actually didn't ask anything.
I'm sorry CALI YARIS i forgot you from California. I'm from GA, so i clearly did not understand CA law that much. My apology
I put up a thread to asking other for opinions, sharing what i experienced or like you selling products and sharing experienced with your customers or answer your customer questions.
There is a lot to share, and there is a lot to learn. Especially when it's come to peoples, we can argue with each other until next year.
What i'm asking is it fair? no? yes? but from your perspective you think 20 gallons of water a day is fair for a businesses?
And what is it mean FREE to you that has a difference meanings? this is no offense, but i don't understand what it's mean FREE when it's not.
I'm sorry but my poor mind think that if i walk into a gas station and there is a magazines laying there on the shelf and it's got the word FREE TAKE ONE it's mean FREE TAKE ONE, i can walk out with 2 or 3, and don't have to pay a penny for it. If the Clerk stop me and tell me that i have to pay for that! then is it FREE? Please correct me.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
hey jamal get a lawyer
no need matt, i just let's it's go, no need i haven't sign the contract yet, will look for another places who offer me a reasonable contract.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
jamal1984

To CALIYARIS I just got back from Walmart for diapers for my son.
And I think I offensed u somehow and I just want to say I'm sorry I did not mean anything personal And sorry for tell other about landlord secrecy. I just let me anger out in a bad way.
I'm disappointed about my about to be landlord that not honest his words. I hate liars and business man who trick other with words.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Fair enough. And I didn't take offense. It seemed to me that the landlord's restriction was a valid one, but he/she should have been 100% up front about that restriction.

I'm not supposed to park cars (with fuel in them) in my warehouse at Micro Image. But I do. That is because the landlord and I understand that I am careful and responsible, AND he gets his rent every month without every worrying about it.

I think that's the relationship you are describing as more desirable -- and I agree.