Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
In simple terms, when engines were dumb, as with carburetors, they could be fooled by a HP filter, but new cars with OBD-II watching the airflow isn't going to let itself be fooled for long; it'll adjust to anything new that it's seeing, unless tuning is altered.
....not exactly. ECUs are not infinitely adaptable.

When you restrict air flow the computer will adjust mixture, valve and spark timing and other factors, but only up to a point. Once you constrain the airflow sufficiently the ECU will start to bounce close to soft and hard limits, and will eventually throw a trouble code light

Gene.
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #20
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
....not exactly. ECUs are not infinitely adaptable.

When you restrict air flow the computer will adjust mixture, valve and spark timing and other factors, but only up to a point. Once you constrain the airflow sufficiently the ECU will start to bounce close to soft and hard limits, and will eventually throw a trouble code light

Gene.
What I was getting at was that taking out a stock air filter and dropping in a hi-flow filter won't do what the box claims, but people will think it's really made a big difference in hp and fuel economy. I try not thinking about it now, but not too long ago a tool salesman that used to come around told me how he installed a K&N drop-in in his late model automatic Dodge truck, and instantly he noticed that it now gets sideways and lights up the rear tires at 55mph.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Right. The reason all sorts of things get sold, accessories for cars, bikes, guns, sound systems, health and "wellness" items, etc. is that they create an expectation that they'll give a benefit, so the user perceives they've gained one and are happy with it.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
What I was getting at was that taking out a stock air filter and dropping in a hi-flow filter won't do what the box claims, but people will think it's really made a big difference in hp and fuel economy. I try not thinking about it now, but not too long ago a tool salesman that used to come around told me how he installed a K&N drop-in in his late model automatic Dodge truck, and instantly he noticed that it now gets sideways and lights up the rear tires at 55mph.
If you can't measure performance gains it's a pretty tough sell.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
If you can't measure performance gains it's a pretty tough sell.

Gene
I think they sell plenty of them, and customers simply change habits (aka: driver's mod) easily enough to see what they're expecting...lead foot, wow that feels better now. Slow it down some, yeah, it improved the mpg just like the box said it would.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Exactly.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Right. The reason all sorts of things get sold, accessories for cars, bikes, guns, sound systems, health and "wellness" items, etc. is that they create an expectation that they'll give a benefit, so the user perceives they've gained one and are happy with it.
There's an old saying: Possession is 9/10ths of the law; there needs to be a new one...Perception is 9/10ths of the flaw!

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #26
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
For me unless your racing use oem toyota air filters mine was only $15.00 from my local dealer. At 18k miles and 1 year old my filter didnt look dirty, performance was fine but after putting new oem filter my fuel mileage went up slightly. I trust Toyota's research and will use only Genuine Toyota oil and filters. My overall avg FE is 43.4 mpg.My Daily avg the last few days is 52 mpg.
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
^ HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!! 52mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????/
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote