Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What method do you use to distinguish a better gas over a not so good gas?
Better grade 89 or higher octane vs 86-87 "regular" octane

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
chevron techron gas only contains 1oz of techron for 55000 gallons of gasoline might as well not be there. however if you want to clean up your engine something fierce, I recommend using the whole 12oz in your tank, it wont hurt your engine.

there is also a cleaner that will clean out your entire engine of carbon buildup better then techron or any of the popular brand cleaners, was designed to be clean for marine use, cant remember the name at the moment. It requires some knowhow though, You put it into the engine directly through a vacuumme line at about 3k rpm then when it drains the can you instantly shot of the engine and let it sit for about 30 - 60 minutes.
after this you are good to restart the engine, there will be lots of white smoke, dont worry your engine is fine it is just the product and carbon buildup exiting out the exhaust. After the procedure change your oil withing the next 100 miles.
once again this is the most intense and best method to get rid of the carbon buildup in the engine, but I wouldnt recomend it for any car with less then 150k miles on it, unless your car has been running rich and you are now failing smog for high NOx
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
chevron techron gas only contains 1oz of techron for 55000 gallons of gasoline might as well not be there. however if you want to clean up your engine something fierce, I recommend using the whole 12oz in your tank, it wont hurt your engine.

there is also a cleaner that will clean out your entire engine of carbon buildup better then techron or any of the popular brand cleaners, was designed to be clean for marine use, cant remember the name at the moment. It requires some knowhow though, You put it into the engine directly through a vacuumme line at about 3k rpm then when it drains the can you instantly shot of the engine and let it sit for about 30 - 60 minutes.
after this you are good to restart the engine, there will be lots of white smoke, dont worry your engine is fine it is just the product and carbon buildup exiting out the exhaust. After the procedure change your oil withing the next 100 miles.
once again this is the most intense and best method to get rid of the carbon buildup in the engine, but I wouldnt recomend it for any car with less then 150k miles on it, unless your car has been running rich and you are now failing smog for high NOx
Seafoam...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #22
Yaribhini
Banned

Drives: Yaris
BG makes a great product that the Toyota dealership uses. I have used them various cars with favorable results. Ask your parts guy about the BG fuel system cleaner (runs through the gas tank).
Yaribhini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaribhini View Post
BG makes a great product that the Toyota dealership uses. I have used them various cars with favorable results. Ask your parts guy about the BG fuel system cleaner (runs through the gas tank).
BG's 44K?

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #24
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Seafoam...
that was it =P
thankyou.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
lucas is amazing stuff. I use the gas treatment off and on to keep everything clean. The car runs smoother and I get better mileage.

I also used lucas oil stabilizer for the engine and transmission in my older corolla - it smoothed out rough idling and shifting. I haven't put any in the yaris because I've been running synthetic oil since day 1.

My friend couldn't shift his old beater into gear, poured some lucas in the tranny, and drove off...

As for gas I like chevron and shell. There is a noticeable difference in power and mileage over pretty much everyone else. I avoid arco like the plague.(I know about 10 people who have gotten "bad gas" and had to drain their tanks)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #26
Yaribhini
Banned

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
BG's 44K?
Yes.
Yaribhini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
BG's 44K?
good stuff
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
OK, I got some Lucas UCL and put some in today. Let's see how she does at the end of the week. Zooooooooooooooooooooooom
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #29
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Great! Give it a couple of tanks to start working.
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #30
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Did the same yesterday.....nothing to lose so what the hell.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #31
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Product info sheet here:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/d...C-10020-sm.pdf
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #32
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post

I think what you are thinking about is seafoam. My auto shop sells those services for 60 dollars. I can tell it makes a massive difference before and after. Also you can simply add a can to your tank of gas and it will clean the injectors and pistons still. I put one in a friends car and the exhaust started to smoke after a few minutes from the carbon being removed.

I would reccomend doing that service every 30k miles. To keep your engine running clean as possible. I have noticed every time the car has very minimal amount of smoke i ask them what kind of gas they use. They always say chevron. One car had 180k miles and there was no smoke. Well just one baby puff. One car with 30k miles who ran only cosco gas the car stalled out so many times from the massive amount of carbon the smoke traveled out past our shop into the street and nearly caused a pileup as it was so dense. We had to drive it around the local neighborhood trying to to get it to clear up but it was smoking for atleast 15 minutes. When we got it back to the shop we had to let it idle for a hour before it stopped smoking. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Since then i made it my mission to advise all my customers to stay away from discount gasoline. ANd belive me this customer after witnessing himself the effects will never use it too. Man did that car run smooth afterwards though. Idle went perfect the car had a lot more pep.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #33
NJBob

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Great! Give it a couple of tanks to start working.
Right on. It's cheaper than I thought, too. I got a 32 ouncer for $10. At 3-4 oz./tank that's only $1 a dose or so.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
phenoyz

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
The amount of additives in premium gas is not very much, in comparison to adding a bottle of cleaner. Also, our Yarii do not benefit from higher octane gas, and in fact I found that my Yaris gets worse milage on premium. It's just not tuned to take advantage of the higher octane. Using premium is like throwing $ out the window.

I notice this too...i used the highest octane but i get poor mileage
why is that... going to try this lucas additive and see

Last edited by phenoyz; 02-13-2009 at 06:58 PM.
phenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #35
NJBob

Some on board computers will accomdate/adjust for a different octane...perhaps our Yarii does not. My '98 Neon R/T required 89 octane and DID get better mileage with higher octane. It was a DOHC high performance engine however.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #36
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
sounds like a spam... is he advertising...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote