Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Aftermarket Air Filters

Opted to go with a NAPA Gold Air Filter because it seemed thicker and thus more efficient than the Factory filter. Does get dirty a LOT faster. I figure roughly about 5,000 to 10,000 miles per filter. Isn't too bad, cheaper than engine wear.

Negligible impact upon fuel efficiency. I made two long (50 mile) trips yesterday and netted 38 mpg, with cool air (about fifty five degrees fahr) and some "stop and go" and "evading idiots" traffic. Usually my Yaris crests 40 mpg when the ambients go over 80 fahrenheit.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Opted to go with a NAPA Gold Air Filter because it seemed thicker and thus more efficient than the Factory filter. Does get dirty a LOT faster. I figure roughly about 5,000 to 10,000 miles per filter. Isn't too bad, cheaper than engine wear.

Negligible impact upon fuel efficiency. I made two long (50 mile) trips yesterday and netted 38 mpg, with cool air (about fifty five degrees fahr) and some "stop and go" and "evading idiots" traffic. Usually my Yaris crests 40 mpg when the ambients go over 80 fahrenheit.

Gene
yeah... as far as i've been able to read... there is a trade off with air filters, Higher airflow = less filtration/more particles/more HP
Lower airflow = more filtration/less particles/less HP

I can't imagine <1HP being worth the increased wear and tear... I want my engine & everything else to last a good while before I have to start paying for replacements. Hell, I wouldn't mind handing this car off to my kid someday (thats right... i'm not maried, and have no kids right now).
Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
intake

Drives: yaris 2 1.3 mmt
foam filters filter more dust and increase air flow
yes, i know, this sound strange, but it's real
Yaris 2007 mmt 1.3 , denso power iridium, pipercross air filter, purplepower 10/40 motor oil + zx1, simoni racing silencer, eibach , henry hausen wheels, modified air box, trd logo,oversized oil filter.
intake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Unless dust is a problem in your area filters should last longer than 10K miles. Road constuction on the way home sometimes kicks up lots of dust and I just changed out my air filter at 14K and it still looked pretty clean.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
My K&N drop-in panel filter offers no better MPG, either, but I like it for the reusability and lifetime warranty. I clean it every 6 months (I just cleaned it yesterday, in fact).

People love to jaw about filtration and often rag on K&N for supposedly letting in too much stuff but my throttle body and fuel injection housing are as clean as the day I got the car 40k miles ago.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
1stToyota

I don't think a K&N drop-in has the ability to muck things up like a short ram; the stock air box has a nice little blanket in the upper portion.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
yeah... little blanket... cut that stupid thing out... lol
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
My K&N drop-in panel filter offers no better MPG, either, but I like it for the reusability and lifetime warranty. I clean it every 6 months (I just cleaned it yesterday, in fact).

People love to jaw about filtration and often rag on K&N for supposedly letting in too much stuff but my throttle body and fuel injection housing are as clean as the day I got the car 40k miles ago.
So do you think an AFE Stage 2 dry intake would improve gas mileage? I know when I went to a stock box from a SRI on my GTI, I lost 2-5 mpg.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
So do you think an AFE Stage 2 dry intake would improve gas mileage? I know when I went to a stock box from a SRI on my GTI, I lost 2-5 mpg.
With a little engine like ours where breathing is never a problem no filter or aftermarket intake is going to help with mileage or power. A blocked filter can certainly impede air flow but any clean filter and system will do.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
yeah... little blanket... cut that stupid thing out... lol
I like the extra protection, and if I did cut it out the MAF meter would most likely just do its job and readjust for the little bit of extra aiflow that it's now seeing.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

BailOut's right. Whenever you're operating at part throttle the pumping losses pulling air past the partly closed throttle are what consume wasted energy from the engine, and if you put in a freer flowing intake, you'll just close the throttle a little more to get the same power and are right back where you started. In a system that mixes fuel with air by volume, as a carburetor does, a restrictive or dirty filter will cause the mixture to go rich and lower mileage. An engine control system that measures mass airflow and fine tunes the mixture with feedback from an exhaust oxygen sensor won't richen the mixture under those circumstances, and its mileage won't be affected. Only maximum power will be decreased due to limited maximum airflow.

Pretty much the same applies to cold air intakes. Only thing they can help is maximum power at wide open throttle. Under some circumstances they may decrease engine efficiency and increase emissions, if the fuel's evaporation is delayed by the lower air temperature. Most of the time, with a warm engine, they'll make little difference.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Hey Brian, does .5 more displacement really do a big difference? I mean, my GTI only had 9 more hp than my Yaris.

YarisHilton, I'm sorry, I kinda got lost in your post (doesn't help that I'm rushing here, I'm also studying for a test).
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I just explained as simply as I know how that no air filter (or cold air intake) is going to boost your fuel economy. Any observed differences people report are coming from the well known effects of changing anything that you expect to make an improvement.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Hey Brian, does .5 more displacement really do a big difference? I mean, my GTI only had 9 more hp than my Yaris.

YarisHilton, I'm sorry, I kinda got lost in your post (doesn't help that I'm rushing here, I'm also studying for a test).
In simple terms, when engines were dumb, as with carburetors, they could be fooled by a HP filter, but new cars with OBD-II watching the airflow isn't going to let itself be fooled for long; it'll adjust to anything new that it's seeing, unless tuning is altered.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I just explained as simply as I know how that no air filter (or cold air intake) is going to boost your fuel economy. Any observed differences people report are coming from the well known effects of changing anything that you expect to make an improvement.
lol...I actually would have expected the SRI on the GTI to decrease my gas mileage, but it did the opposite. When ever I get some money, I'll see if I'll have the same experience with the Yaris, although I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
In simple terms, when engines were dumb, as with carburetors, they could be fooled by a HP filter, but new cars with OBD-II watching the airflow isn't going to let itself be fooled for long; it'll adjust to anything new that it's seeing, unless tuning is altered.
My GTI was OBD-2, but it was also a '97, so less technology in it
Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....d=58&Itemid=66
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote