Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Power window noise

My '08 Yaris LB passenger side power window recently started to make a sort of buzzing friction noise when it goes up. The window still operates well but I am concerned about the noise. I lubricated the tracks but it didn't help. Does anyone know what's the cause and fix for this? Thanks :o)
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like something with the motor or the lifting assembly. I would pull the door panel to get a better look/hear.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
birdman

Will do. :o)
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
birdman

I removed the door panel to have a look and sure enough the noise was coming from the power window motor. I sprayed some lithium grease on the gear and greased the metal track below. None of this helped much though.

How much longer would you guess it will be before the motor is likely to die? When it does need replacement it looks like a bear of a job to get the old motor out and a new one in. Has anyone replaced a window motor?

Last edited by birdman; 07-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I removed the door panel to have a look and sure enough the noise was coming from the power window motor. I sprayed some lithium grease on the gear and greased the metal track below. None of this helped much though.

How much longer would you guess it will be before the motor is likely to die? When it does need replacement it looks like a bear of a job to get the old motor out and a new one in. Has anyone replaced a window motor?
It may run forever making noise or it may die in a day. The motor will be a bit of a hassle to replace.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
birdman

Thank you. :o)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
DaryleTilroe

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
My '08 Yaris LB passenger side power window recently started to make a sort of buzzing friction noise when it goes up. The window still operates well but I am concerned about the noise. I lubricated the tracks but it didn't help. Does anyone know what's the cause and fix for this? Thanks :o)
Came here to look for this symptom. My '08 Yaris Sedan has started doing *EXACTLY* the same thing on *EXACTLY* the same window. Are they on some sort of failure timer!? Of course it's a year off warranty.

I wondered if it's actually something in gearing or spacing (ie loose and rubbing) unique to the RHS Front door topology but you say you took the panel off already and it's coming from the motor module.

I don't know how cheap this is parts wise but usually it's not too bad of a DIY job. I did it three times on my old Lumina Van (1 driver, 2 passenger; it was a '95 that is just going out to pasture now).

Sounds like wait till it dies kind for thing but if it becomes an epidemic we might get lucky with a TSB. Did you look already?

FYI Mine was a 12/07 build date and if I decode the VIN correctly it was plant "1" in Japan.
DaryleTilroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryleTilroe View Post
Came here to look for this symptom. My '08 Yaris Sedan has started doing *EXACTLY* the same thing on *EXACTLY* the same window. Are they on some sort of failure timer!? Of course it's a year off warranty.

I wondered if it's actually something in gearing or spacing (ie loose and rubbing) unique to the RHS Front door topology but you say you took the panel off already and it's coming from the motor module.

I don't know how cheap this is parts wise but usually it's not too bad of a DIY job. I did it three times on my old Lumina Van (1 driver, 2 passenger; it was a '95 that is just going out to pasture now).

Sounds like wait till it dies kind for thing but if it becomes an epidemic we might get lucky with a TSB. Did you look already?

FYI Mine was a 12/07 build date and if I decode the VIN correctly it was plant "1" in Japan.
There is not a TSB on this. It is not a very common issue and probably has much to do with the frequency that the power windows are opened and closed.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
DaryleTilroe

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There is not a TSB on this. It is not a very common issue and probably has much to do with the frequency that the power windows are opened and closed.
Hmm. Pretty strange since the driver's side gets rolled down a lot more and, as you can see from my profile location in Edmonton, we don't roll down windows at all almost half the year. Also, from prior power window experience, 4 years is really a poor lifetime; I'd expect twice that.
DaryleTilroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
If this helps at all.. My front passenger window motor has made a "struggling to roll up type of noise" id say for about the past 3 years.. It doesnt roll up or down any slower or faster than the driver side.. It just makes the noise.. So like CTscott said, it could die tomorrow or never..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I think its from lack of use mostly. Mine is louder too. I only roll it down about an inch when I leave it in the parking lot at work otherwise it gets barely any use. I think the drivers side is more smooth because of daily use....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote