Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
rain guards wahh

well i knew this time would come. the coat of paint i put on the rain guards is starting to fade. should i repaint them or just take them off? i have been thinking about removing them and now would be the time. but im afraid the paint underneth where they are taped is faded or scratched. can it be buffed or waxed or will that make it worse?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
I'm going to assume you mean the mudflaps. If they cover the paint (which on my LB, they do) then what's under the flap will be the same condition, hue wise, as it was when you put them on. The exposed paint around the flaps will continue to 'fade' so to speak so what's under the flap should be darker than what isn't.

An orbital and some polish will do fine. Then some wax and you should be good to go. I would've left them unpainted since the paint doesn't adhere to the thin plastic the way it does to sheetmetal. It was bound to crack eventually due to the high abuse that area sees, especially in rain.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
if for some reason you do mean the rain guards by the windows, and you wanna get rid of them let me know
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
if for some reason you do mean the rain guards by the windows, and you wanna get rid of them let me know
XD I feel like an idiot. I didn't even think of window visors. Never heard them called rain guards. Why would you paint those?

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
Why would you paint those?
Have you ever read this guy's threads? I'm sure they will leave you with more questions than answers, but none of them will be about cars.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
matthewai

my threads ? umm okay watch out we got a badass over here

i painted them because i didnt want them to get faded in the sun and turn shitty purple is that acceptable OLDMAN and how is this not about cars?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
well i knew this time would come. the coat of paint i put on the rain guards is starting to fade. should i repaint them or just take them off? i have been thinking about removing them and now would be the time. but im afraid the paint underneth where they are taped is faded or scratched. can it be buffed or waxed or will that make it worse?
What did you paint it with that the paint is fading on them already?

Didn't realize that you painted them at all, but looked at your garage, and they look good painted!

My 2¢:
I'd suggest ordering some good automotive paint, clear coat, primer, and adhesive promoter online and go all out. Take them off, sand 'em, prep 'em, paint and clear coat. That way you can have them color matched to your sedan, and they ought to be as durable as the paint on the car, and less susceptible to fading (or at least fading only as much as the car itself.) Set you back $50 maybe less for some rattle cans, and if you had extra, no biggie, good to have around just in case.

I color-matched my front emblem and it turned out pretty decent, I think and I never really spray-painted anything before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Have you ever read this guy's threads? I'm sure they will leave you with more questions than answers, but none of them will be about cars.
What the hell are you talking about?

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Of course his threads are about cars. The questions you will have after reading them, however, will not be--i.e. why do some animals eat their young, what's wrong with our school system, and should there be minimum written skills needed before one is allowed free access to the internet.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Huhhh?

Oh yeah,
The old man forgot to mention sobriety......

But then, he was obviously not, as well....
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
matthewai

Quote:
Of course his threads are about cars. The questions you will have after reading them, however, will not be--i.e. why do some animals eat their young, what's wrong with our school system, and should there be minimum written skills needed before one is allowed free access to the internet.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
What did you paint it with that the paint is fading on them already?

Didn't realize that you painted them at all, but looked at your garage, and they look good painted!

My 2¢:
I'd suggest ordering some good automotive paint, clear coat, primer, and adhesive promoter online and go all out. Take them off, sand 'em, prep 'em, paint and clear coat. That way you can have them color matched to your sedan, and they ought to be as durable as the paint on the car, and less susceptible to fading (or at least fading only as much as the car itself.) Set you back $50 maybe less for some rattle cans, and if you had extra, no biggie, good to have around just in case.

I color-matched my front emblem and it turned out pretty decent, I think and I never really spray-painted anything before!

What the hell are you talking about?

yeah i just spray bombed them, if end up taking them off i might leave them off for a while, or ill paint them right this time like you said and have them ready to go if i want to put them back on.

yeah what is this oldguy talking about>? haha
Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
matthewai

Quote:
i would seriously like to know what your referring to im genuinely interested and im totally sober right now

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
matthewai

took them off

hey i took them off, the window visors and the bug guard i left the rear window visor on though that one looks cool. i used some goo gone for the excess 3m tape then washed and did a full car wax with the buffer. looks sick no signs that the visors were even there the paint looks new, heres a pic if anyone wants to see my car as of now and what i used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg novisors001.jpg (119.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg novisors002.jpg (123.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg carwash01.jpg (111.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
jpmck03

I thought that the paint would turn out fine!

Looks good!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
matthewai

Quote:
I thought that the paint would turn out fine!

Looks good!
thanks, but what paint do you mean? the visor paint or the car paint where they were attached? that wax buffed out alot of scratches all over the car it looks almost new again (untill the wax wears off). besides the random big dings and deeper scratches

the paint on the visors was kinda fading thats why i took them off. not sure if im gonna repaint and put them back on ill have to wait and see
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
jpmck03

You were concerned about the paint under where the visors were stuck to the car. I thought that it would look fine, and it appears that it did.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
You were concerned about the paint under where the visors were stuck to the car. I thought that it would look fine, and it appears that it did.
That's what I thought the concern was with as well, which I figured wouldn't be significantly different than the paint on the rest of the car. It's not going to be easy to clean and wax thin plastic like the visors. Especially if they were just rattlecanned and not clearcoated.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
matthewai

haha yeah yeah exactly it looks great. turned out better than i thought