Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
hairdresserscar

Drives: 07' Yaris sedan
alibaba Chinese coilovers!

there are tonnnnnns of coilovers on there! dont know whether to trust them or not.... we could get some serious group buys going for all of us who cant shell out $900
hairdresserscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Throw on an extra 100 and you can single buy all the types people know and like on this forum, on Amazon.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
<grimace> While some of them may in fact make OEM or legitimate aftermarket parts, I would be VERY wary of anything in that market. Even if you get a decent price up front, what will the warranty and/or repair parts scene look like? I'd be willing to bet that they won't exist, based on the scarcity of warranty/spares for otherwise legitimate brands.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Wait, crank, are you talking about alibaba or amazon?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Wait, crank, are you talking about alibaba or amazon?
Alibaba. From what I can tell, they're just a directory of manufacturers, not an actual retail outlet. Or is that Aliexpress...?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Well.. Guess how MicroImage lowering springs came to life? You send specs to a manufacturers, and they make it. (MI springs are made in taiwan btw)

But i am just saying... MicroImage could very well come up with a set of coilovers for the Yaris. So one of us could be making money, by sending specs to a coilover manufacturers in China or else, have them made with quality parts, set a price on QTY 100-1000 sets, import them and you are in business.

ROI better be good in order to come up with something like that. Else, your product will just end up costing premium money or it is taking too much time to deplete inventory, and your investment is just on a standstill.. ie, not making money.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Alibaba. From what I can tell, they're just a directory of manufacturers, not an actual retail outlet. Or is that Aliexpress...?
they both are. Alibaba does it on grand scale, while aliexpress is more end user focused.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan

Agreed, sites like those can be a good resource for someone looking to develop a product with low manufacturing overhead, but the Yaris performance market saturates at a very low number of parts (think tens, not hundreds or thousands of units) and will continue to do so unless it is seen as a viable entry-level 'tuner' platform. That means that you're unlikely to turn a profit, even if you manage to deplete your inventory.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
sheekeebut
Minimalist

MI to the rescue
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Well.. Guess how MicroImage lowering springs came to life? You send specs to a manufacturers, and they make it. (MI springs are made in taiwan btw).

MI springs are rebranded TigerTec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
This is a PSA for yarisworld users searching alibaba or aliexpress for performance yaris parts.

DON'T!

I have a bit more exposure to the Chinese performance parts markets and I can tell you that most of these parts only looks good. The material however can be anywhere from acceptiable to pig iron. Most of these performance parts are just design COPIES from aftermarket brands and very possible to leave out details that is critial to the part's performance and safety.

I will buy stuff from chinese website like fog lights and such, but just stay away from performance parts that will affect the safety of the vehicle.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Yeah I was totally gonna throw a set of Chinese springs at my car, it's not like my life depends on staying on the roads
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Yeah I was totally gonna throw a set of Chinese springs at my car, it's not like my life depends on staying on the roads
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
IllusionX

You have to choose the good quality ones, and not go with replicas. Like what Microimage did with their springs...