Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Explain: NST Underdrive & MI pulley

Hi all,

Currently I am on NST 10% under-drive pulley. I knew that NST have a problem with customer service etc. So far no mechanical problem on me yet.

I just need to know the exact different on the output of the 2 given pulley.

1. NST 10% smaller than OEM pulley size and light.

Since this is 10% smaller in size, It will reduce the engine load by 10%?

2. MI OEM size pulley. I read that this is a tad lighter than the NST 10% UD pulley.

Since this is OEM size, the loading to the engine is the same BUT just a MUCH lighter pulley? Am i correct?

Overall, what does each pulley can make the driver butt feel? Kindly enlighten...
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
The 10% smaller pulley will run all your accessories 10% slower thus reducing parasitic drag on the motor. That being said, your water pump, alternator, and a/c compressor are all running slower than factory. There are gains to be had there but not 10%. I know guys that did this in larger trucks and saw a hp or two of increase but they were dynoing 300+ hp.

The fact that it is lightweight means that it is going to rev up faster meaning it will be more responsive. It is the same concept as doing a lightweight flywheel though the difference is not as significance (since you still have that heavy flywheel in there).

I have always heard that the weight difference is a bigger factor than the size. Some cars are very funny about running the accessories too slow (not sure about the yaris though).

I have the MI pulley myself and am happy with it. If I were you, I would leave what I had on there (unless you notice cracks in it... no seriously, check it). I do know that garm put a lot of effort into designing out some of the original flaws of the NST pulleys as they did have issues cracking and breaking. That being said, I have never owned the NST underdrive pulley so I don't have first hand experience.

hopefully this helps. I know there are guys on here that know way more about this than I do but I figured I would throw out a response.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Our pulley maintains OEM size while reducing weight. I like that combination, and I wanted to produce it that way; your accessories all spin according to the way Toyota designed them. Reduced rotational inertia is how you get increased throttle response. "Horsepower" is not the primary benefit of a lighter pulley (or flywheel, same thing but even bigger!)

As Beef says, I have not heard of any cracking or breakage with our design, so I think the changes we made worked.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
are you running or planning on running forced induction?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
evo165

No sir... Currently i am still on NA set-up... Will stick to NA all the way...

I am asking as i need to know if i change from the NST to MI pulley. Will i be downgrading or upgrading due to the fact that NST is smaller therefore less loading to engine & the MI is a tad lighter than the NST pulley... ;)
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ There won't be any noticeable difference; they are both lightweight pulleys. The only difference is in design, and maybe peace of mind. That's an upgrade to my mind.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Another thing to consider that this point is customer service reachability. I have the under drive pulley from NST. It has worked like a champ for me however in all honesty Mike (NST) is so busy with his business and racing it seems that he has become quite flakey in my opinion. I have called and left him 3 voice mails over the last 2 weeks with no response. Personally if I were you I would pick up the MI item and sell your NST just from a customer support perspective. MI'S shop 9 times out of 10 is pretty responsive on things. If they don't get back to you right away there is usually a solid reason. Not saying Mike doesn't have solid reasons, but his responsiveness has been quite wanting.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Anything we can help you with, Adrian?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

I will hit you up Garm when I have the chance. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Anything we can help you with, Adrian?
My Christmas Card from MI was lost in the mail !

I have been running the NST pulley for about 4.5 years, no problem. I would totally get the MI version, but I'm too damn lazy to do the swap!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
^^ ditto.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
If my NST pulley ever craps out I'll get the MI version.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
My Christmas Card from MI was lost in the mail ! ...
Hey, what gives... I didn't get a card from MI either!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

LOL. Just for fun, we'll do Christmas cards in June this year. Why not, seems like they start playing the music that early now.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #15
evo165

Christmas card? Nope i never receive anything from MI... ;)