Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
tbinsx1@gmail.com

Drives: Toyota YARIS 1.3 VVT-i twin
Red face new Yaris user

Last week a bought a 4yr old, yet just 10.000km, Yaris model 1.3 VVT-1 twin with S&S. Pratically as a brand new car.

These my impressions and experiences

Positive point:
- nice body and perfect varnishing;
- very comfortable seats;
- very still while cruising;
- precise steering
- powerful brakes;
- very elastic motor.

Now the negative ones:

- only one lock over four doors;
- the door lock opens in clockwise direction (opposite way compared to usual) while the back door opens counterclockwise;
- ECO S&S cannot be disabled and when stopped in the traffic or in front of my home gate, while opening the garage door, the car stops in 0sec (it stopped 5 times in 50m during parking);
- when S&S stops, sometime it gets in conflict with driver operations thus lighting "engine fault" and impeding restarting for 20-30sec (it happened frequently while waiting in front line of a crosslight - a disaster!!!);
- the first gear won't enter (idling it or trying the retro or the second gear doesn't always help);
- the cockpit central display is very difficult to read (to far from eyes on the right; directly illuminated by the sun).
- the gas "reserve" indication is very "reserved" (it doesn't want to bother ...yet waiting to see you stuck with empty tank!!!)
- the little trays on the central column sides have slots where coins and keys fall in with no chances to retrieve them.

Well, I good car with little yet BOTHERING flaws!!!

Last edited by tbinsx1@gmail.com; 06-21-2015 at 06:50 AM.
tbinsx1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
If it has "disastrous" flaws, why did you buy it?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm not familiar with ECO S&S...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm not familiar with ECO S&S...
Eco Start and Stop. A somewhat annoying feature of almost all European market cars, where the engine shuts of when you stop and restarts when you hit the accelerator.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

To the original poster, is your car a NSP130 or a NSP90 model Yaris? If it is a NSP130, there is actually an input on the ECM to disable start and stop that is not brought out to a switch for some countries. I am fairly sure that you could add a switch to get that feature.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
bairjo

DISASTROUS flaws!!![/quote]

Really? issues like little trays are DISASTROUS ?....whish I had your problems in life.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Eco Start and Stop. A somewhat annoying feature of almost all European market cars, where the engine shuts of when you stop and restarts when you hit the accelerator.
Yikes. I've heard of folks doing this as a practice for FE, but not sure I'd want it as a built in feature.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I had a 5 speed Smart as a rental car in Germany last month. The start and stop system made it mighty scary when you had to get going quick, but I figured out that if I kept it in gear with my foot on the clutch it would not shut off.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
tbinsx1@gmail.com

Drives: Toyota YARIS 1.3 VVT-i twin
Thank everybody for hints. I've solved the two most annoying problems:
- S&S as a default is now OFF as a default;
- 1st gear not engaging is now easily engaging.
I still forget to turn the key counterclockwise to close and since my other cars do it clockwise... I've got to buy remote control to avoid risk not to close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbinsx1@gmail.com View Post
Last week a bought a 4yr old, yet just 10.000km, Yaris model 1.3 VVT-1 twin with S&S. Pratically as a brand new car.

These my impressions and experiences

Positive point:
- nice body and perfect varnishing;
- very comfortable seats;
- very still while cruising;
- precise steering
- powerful brakes;
- very elastic motor.

Now the negative ones:

- only one lock over four doors;
- the door lock opens in clockwise direction (opposite way compared to usual) while the back door opens counterclockwise;
- ECO S&S cannot be disabled and when stopped in the traffic or in front of my home gate, while opening the garage door, the car stops in 0sec (it stopped 5 times in 50m during parking);
- when S&S stops, sometime it gets in conflict with driver operations thus lighting "engine fault" and impeding restarting for 20-30sec (it happened frequently while waiting in front line of a crosslight - a disaster!!!);
- the first gear won't enter (idling it or trying the retro or the second gear doesn't always help);
- the cockpit central display is very difficult to read (to far from eyes on the right; directly illuminated by the sun).
- the gas "reserve" indication is very "reserved" (it doesn't want to bother ...yet waiting to see you stuck with empty tank!!!)
- the little trays on the central column sides have slots where coins and keys fall in with no chances to retrieve them.

Well, I good car with little yet BOTHERING flaws!!!
tbinsx1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear startstop keylock