Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Tried a Soul and shifting was horrible . Very notchy . Hopefully other KIAs / Hyundias are not the same .
Not sure I have never driven any Kia just Daihatsu, Nissan, Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
There are a couple of Kia Souls on my street. The people across the street and one house down recently replaced the stock tires and wheels on their Mitsubishi SUV with much larger tires and wheels. A few days later they traded in their Tercel for a used Tacoma SR5 PreRunner...so still the same number of Toyotas in my neighborhood.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
I would say a Kia an Hundai are good cars never driven on .Wonder how the resale is?
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I drove a Kia Spectra EX for a year. Good engine and auto transmission. Reliable.

My biggest complaint: Very uncomfortable seats. Cheaply made with poor quality fabric and foam. Had to buy a heavily padded seat cover just to drive the thing.

Resale values (in my region) on Kia (and Hyundai's) are better than domestic brands, lower than Japanese cars. Kia's made before the company was bought by Hyundai should be avoided.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #23
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I test drove the Aveo, Versa, Fit and Yaris LB and chose the Yaris because it seemed easily the best choice to me. I didn't like the over sensitive steering or the external looks of the '08 Fit. I liked the Yaris center console that allows for greater knee room than its competitors plus all the clever storage options front and back. I prefer the sliding seat option over Honda's magic seat though I can see why others might prefer that. I'm sure people like all of these cars for their reasons but I like my choice. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the speedometer location but everything else this car got right more than makes up for it.

I just tested the 2015 Golf GTI with its stiff seats, stupid sun visor clips and poor cup holder location, short armrest and poor reliability rating and it's great ride wasn't enough to coax me out of the Yaris. Had a similar experience with the MINI. It's very fun to fly around corners but not so when they break which they often do. Finally I drove the new Fiesta ST and it had no elbowroom which is stupid. It is a great car performance wise but the poor interior design wasn't going to make up for its good qualities. If they had just done a few simple things to the ST I think I'd be driving one now. Eventually I would like to find something sportier and more solid that is as well thought out, environmentally sound and reliable but there isn't anything. The Prius 3 is so ugly and lacks the clever storage features plus the rear seat head rests block the rear window like the new Yaris. The center speedometer dash Yaris hatchback is a rare car that comes around very rarely that has so many useful well thought out features all rolled into one car that no one else can duplicate regardless of performance or price and that's sad.

Last edited by birdman; 12-20-2014 at 02:10 AM.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #24
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
The Fit looks like a suppository for a giant robot.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I Finally I drove the new Fiesta ST and it had no elbowroom which is stupid. It is a great car performance wise but the poor interior design wasn't going to make up for its good qualities. If they had just done a few simple things to the ST I think I'd be driving one now. Eventually I would like to find something sportier and more solid that is as well thought out, environmentally sound and reliable but there isn't anything. The Prius 3 is so ugly and lacks the clever storage features plus the rear seat head rests block the rear window like the new Yaris. The center speedometer dash Yaris hatchback is a rare car that comes around very rarely that has so many useful well thought out features all rolled into one car that no one else can duplicate regardless of performance or price and that's sad.
I drove the ST. Its a bargain. I want my next car to have a console among other things. I'm debating between the overpriced Mazda3 S Gt hb. with manual. ..the awesome FiestaST...and Maybe the Yaris. Honestly. ..the FiestaST is just such a bargain compared to the Yaris SE. Assuming it holds up.
the FiST seemed no more cramped in the front than my 09 Yaris. It did have the Recaro option (see pic).

I sat in the new fit...i can't get over the exterior.
Attached Images

Last edited by 428CobraJet; 12-22-2014 at 08:11 AM.
428CobraJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I drove the ST. Its a bargain. I want my next car to have a console among other things. I'm debating between the overpriced Mazda3 S Gt hb. with manual. ..the awesome FiestaST...and Maybe the Yaris. Honestly. ..the FiestaST is just such a bargain compared to the Yaris SE. Assuming it holds up.
the FiST seemed no more cramped in the front than my 09 Yaris. It did have the Recaro option (see pic).

I sat in the new fit...i can't get over the exterior.
I wonder how steep the depreciation is on the Fiesta ST? That particular niche within the segment doesn't conjure up thoughts of 'driving until the wheels fall off' .

I worry about the reliability of the '15 USDM Fit....will remain to be seen. IIRC, they had some quality control issues on at least some of the first U.S. arrivals from the plant in Mexico.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #27
428CobraJet

Yes...a. The genre if Fiesta has a terrible reputation. B. The whole direct injection thing is questionable. ..let alone 200hp in 100 cubic inches.
But what a bang for the buck!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
They rated the Ford Fiesta as a top pick but if you test drive it you'll think it's due to fall apart on you any minute.
I replied to this post when you posted it, but forgot about it after that. So this is the case even when the Fiesta is new (You didn't mention the ST, so I assume it was another 'trim level'). About 14 months after you wrote this post I had a Fiesta rental in Florida with only 35k miles on it, and had the same 'due to fall apart on you any minute' impression.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
But what a bang for the buck!
It would be great temporary fun if you resold it within the warranty period and could find the right buyer who didn't care about price .
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaut View Post
The Fit looks like a suppository for a giant robot.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #31
428CobraJet

I test drove a 2015 Fit EX 6 speed yesterday. Stiff but nice gearbox. Extremely noisy engine when driving. Nice clutch takeup. Poverty carpet but beautiful everywhere else. A relative bargain at 18k. Front seats don't go back far enough. Narrow like the yaris :-).
I felt like my 09 3dr could smoke it. Maybe i didn't find the Vtec?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #32
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
The ST is a sweet car, though I'm not a fan of the Recaro seats. I see them a lot too, but man, for $25k you are in VW GTI waters which gives you more space, awesome plaid seats and a very nice clutch feel.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
428CobraJet

The FiestaST is sweet. ..but I wonder if it is durable enough to hold up
Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #34
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
I would think it is durable enough. If I recall, the older Fiestas all had issues with the new Ford DCT-like tranny and since the ST has a 6spd, I don't think it would be an issue. You could wait to see what the first year data tells you. Waiting could also be beneficial to trying to get a better deal on a year end ST.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #35
428CobraJet

This is year 2 for the FiestaST. But you're asking a lot (200hp) from a small motor. ..with only belt cam drive. And direct injection. Is it (or the also GDI but chain driven Mexico Fit) built for 150k....200k? The Yaris is a really well known quantity.

Otoh...I'm confident a no option but well equipped 2015 FiST would be under 20k plus tt&l. Sticker is $21770 including delivery less a $1000 rebate currently (more for military police etc).bringing it to $20,770.

There are some nice choices in this segment right now. Like you say, fortunately for Yaris owners...our cars are so durable that we can choose not to to decide for the time being.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:18 AM   #36
Barneyncp93

Drives: Vios NCP 93
From power perspective, Yaris beats Fit anytime. Vvt-i beats vtec. L15a needs to go to higher lifts to match the 1nzfe power (that's when vtec is on), in terms of airflow. Now, how can vtec match the bigger overlap (vvt-i), especially when the exhaust is strong?

Over certain Rpm, say 2000, vtec can not match the efficiency vvt-i has. Vtec can beat vvt-i when vtec is not on, but what is the power?

It is about the same when you compare 4AFE to L15A when talking about efficiency. L15A beats 4AFE anyday because L15A flows more.
Barneyncp93 is offline   Reply With Quote