Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #127
nickav21

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan
I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually give the NST SSK a BAD review. I ordered the SSK and shifter cable bushings at the same time (easier to install both at once!). I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the shifter cable bushings. They really tightened up the shifts a whole lot more than I expected.

However, the SSK is a GREAT idea that was poorly implemented. What I mean is that the actual part they send you works perfectly and is pretty easy to install (takes a little elbow grease). The kit does not include a cable relocation plate, though. The cable is at such an angle that it makes installation more difficult, shifting MUCH harder (really takes some umph to get the car into/out of gear), and it seems as if putting the cable at such a dramatic angle would cause damage over time, for it's obviously not meant to bend like that.

I put the shifter in yesterday and after a pretty full day's worth of driving I'm uninstalling it and selling it. I'd love to make a bracket myself, but I'm a college student working an internship and therefore have zero free time. I'm going to try out the TWM in-car shift lever (it makes the shifter shorter height-wise which is something I REALLY want too! - yeah, I know this will mean more difficulty shifting due to leverage reduction, but it CAN'T be worse than it is now) and see how I like it. No offense to NST (you make a good product!), I just feel like a cable relocation bracket is a necessary addition to your kit.
nickav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #128
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I got my SSK on Thursday afternoon and installed it right away, even though I was supposed to leave on a camping trip on Friday morning. I took the risk ;-) I went for the full package ordering all 4 parts, the SSK (both engine bay and cabin parts) and the bushings (2 cable and 4 cage).

First, a word on quality and craftmanship: the parts themselves are beautiful. Perfectly crafted, smooth and shiny, I enjoyed to just hold them in my hand and look at them :-) Second, the fit: perfect!

Mike was very nice and explained to me in an email what all the separate kits were for and pointed me to a detailed DIY. The only hiccup was that I couldn't take off the little plastic cup from the end of the stock shifter the first time I tried, and I panicked a little because it was getting late. On a second try, I pulled harder and it came off. After putting everything back together I took the car out for a test drive and could not believe the difference.

The shifts are short and crisp, I love it! It feels very "high-end" :-)

I cannot imagine myself going back to the stock configuration. Besides, I get to exercise my forearm and triceps ;-)

Thank you Mike and thank you NST.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #129
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickav21 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually give the NST SSK a BAD review. I ordered the SSK and shifter cable bushings at the same time (easier to install both at once!). I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the shifter cable bushings. They really tightened up the shifts a whole lot more than I expected.

However, the SSK is a GREAT idea that was poorly implemented. What I mean is that the actual part they send you works perfectly and is pretty easy to install (takes a little elbow grease). The kit does not include a cable relocation plate, though. The cable is at such an angle that it makes installation more difficult, shifting MUCH harder (really takes some umph to get the car into/out of gear), and it seems as if putting the cable at such a dramatic angle would cause damage over time, for it's obviously not meant to bend like that.

I put the shifter in yesterday and after a pretty full day's worth of driving I'm uninstalling it and selling it. I'd love to make a bracket myself, but I'm a college student working an internship and therefore have zero free time. I'm going to try out the TWM in-car shift lever (it makes the shifter shorter height-wise which is something I REALLY want too! - yeah, I know this will mean more difficulty shifting due to leverage reduction, but it CAN'T be worse than it is now) and see how I like it. No offense to NST (you make a good product!), I just feel like a cable relocation bracket is a necessary addition to your kit.
Well, since you're a college student, you should know that you cannot reduce the travel without increasing the force, come on, it's simple physics. No matter where the reduction is, whether in the engine bay or shift lever, you will need MORE force to shift.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #130
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Hello All,

I am really interested in installing this on my Yaris. I am experiencing some squeaking right now with my shifter which I think is a result of an original crunchy shift into second gear. I am hoping that when I lube the parts today that it will resolve the problem, though I have a lot of time left on my warranty in case this does not work.

While I have read that shifting will require more effort with this part, I am worried that it will increase the crunchy shift centralized around second gear. I experience problems shifting from 1-2, 2-1 and somewhat from 3-2. Having driven many manual tranmissions before, if feel that the yaris shifting assembly was very poorly designed...loose and blocky, allowing for too much play in the wrong places...thus allowing for wear. (I am not a mechanic, but I know what shifting gears is supposed to feel like) Has anyone been in the same situation? My hope is that with the installation of this mod, it will reduce the play felt in shifting and thus reduce the "wear and tear". Thoughts??

Perhaps I should just take it in and have them replace? My fear is that they will just say - oh it just needs a lube. My thought on that is that a car with only 27,000kms shouldn't ever present a problem like that to begin with. If it requires a lube, it's indicitave of a greater problem. Thoughts?

Thanks!!
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #131
fmicle

I've driven a lot of manual transmission cars as well, since I lived in Europe before moving to the US 5 years ago, so in my experience, all cars I've seen have a little bit of a "crunch" when shifting from 2nd into 1st gear, unless you move the stick left to right and back a couple of times in neutral (which I hate doing by the way) or shift really slowly and carefully.

Having said that, I didn't notice any issues on my Yaris' stock manual transmission, so I'm guessing your problem is an isolated issue and not a problem plaguing this car. If I were you I'd try doing a visual inspection along the cables and bushings and see if you notice anthing unusual, such as lose screws, cracked plastic, etc.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #132
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Actually a lot of people are experiencing this with Toyota right now. (not limited to the Yaris) Anywho, I lubed it with silicone lubricant, worked it around and it's squeak free...
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #133
nickav21

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Well, since you're a college student, you should know that you cannot reduce the travel without increasing the force, come on, it's simple physics. No matter where the reduction is, whether in the engine bay or shift lever, you will need MORE force to shift.
I already acknowledged that. I accept that I'm going to face some more energy needed to shift, but that energy should come from the leverage (physics) aspect, not the poor design that puts the shifter cable at a terrible angle (something that could be resolved by raising the cable up an inch along with raising the connection up an inch).

I drove a friend's yaris the other day with the TWM shifter only, and I gotta say, TWM really got it right. Shifts are shorter (and more difficult due to LEVERAGE, not poor connection angles), and I'm not worried about bending my shifter cable out of whack. Not to put down NST, for all the other products I've tried from them (cable bushings, cage bushings) are quite amazing! Enough ranting, it's time for breakfast!
nickav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #134
Liltoaster

Drives: 05 Echo H/B
Does anyone know if this will work on a 05 Echo???? Im assuming it will but I have messaged people about it with no response.....
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #135
fmicle

Quote:
I already acknowledged that. I accept that I'm going to face some more energy needed to shift, but that energy should come from the leverage (physics) aspect, not the poor design that puts the shifter cable at a terrible angle (something that could be resolved by raising the cable up an inch along with raising the connection up an inch).

I drove a friend's yaris the other day with the TWM shifter only, and I gotta say, TWM really got it right. Shifts are shorter (and more difficult due to LEVERAGE, not poor connection angles), and I'm not worried about bending my shifter cable out of whack. Not to put down NST, for all the other products I've tried from them (cable bushings, cage bushings) are quite amazing! Enough ranting, it's time for breakfast!
I really don't think the angle is that bad, I checked mine again, after you mentioned it and I don't think it's more than 15 degrees from the stock connection...
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #136
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
I really don't think the angle is that bad, I checked mine again, after you mentioned it and I don't think it's more than 15 degrees from the stock connection...
Glad you like your NST SSK sir. Thank you for the kind words.

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #137
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:

Hard shifting is a common complaint when installing the metal bushing kits...
But in my case the fix was just as easy as some WD-40 on the bushings and ssk pin...
After some lubrication the gears went in and out like butter..! I was amazed of the change....

You can try the SSk with the OE rubber bushings and you will see that it shouldn't take any extra effort to move in and out of gears.

Regarding the TWM kit... I actually had that kit on my car and change it for the NST kit. I don't recomedn the TWM unless you have Really long and strong arms.
It puts the knob a little to low and hard to reach. Gears with the TWM do take extra effort... at first is funny but it gets tire really quick.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #138
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Regarding the TWM kit... I actually had that kit on my car and change it for the NST kit. I don't recomedn the TWM unless you have Really long and strong arms.
It puts the knob a little to low and hard to reach. Gears with the TWM do take extra effort... at first is funny but it gets tire really quick.
Or get some bucket/sport seats that sit lower, then it's a perfect match

But really, the NST cable bushings, I didn't think they could really make that much of a difference, but wow... clunk-clunk-clunk smoothly into each gear, I love it!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #139
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
Or get some bucket/sport seats that sit lower, then it's a perfect match
We are all not as rich as you sir!, lol j/k =D

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #140
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersoilair View Post
Actually a lot of people are experiencing this with Toyota right now. (not limited to the Yaris) Anywho, I lubed it with silicone lubricant, worked it around and it's squeak free...
Mine was doing this for a while, so I asked about it. Turns out it's just the springs involved with the clutch stuff, and you can fix by lubing.

Can someone explain to me the differences, pros/cons of the engine bay kit vs. the in cabin kit? I'm new to manual transmissions and shift kits. Thanks,
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #141
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy29 View Post
just wondering will it fit 2007 1.3 yaris?
it should fit if you have the 2NZFE 1300 , i have a NST crank pulley made for the 1,5 on my 1.3 , fits and works 100% next i need the short shifter setup ;-)
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #142
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
where does this kit fit ? and how is it different from the other short shift kit ?

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

??
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #143
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Those of you who may be interested in seeing exactly where the NST SSK and NST SSK-2 are installed, what the differences are, how they work together, etc. should definitely check out the following article...

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...nst-short.html

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #144
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Do all those bushings and short throw components fit on the 09 w/o a problem?
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote