Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #163
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Well if you compaire the Echo/Yaris/Vitz to the Civic scene, they've only been around for 11 years now, as where the Civic was out nearly 20 years before it REALLY took off as a cheap tuner car. About the only thing we have going for us is the fact that the 1NZ-FE is still the same motor is was introduced as.
I'm just saying that it's funny how two guys out of nowhere started and finished a turbo build. Not that the yaris doesn't have a huge market for aftermarket parts.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #164
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I sure like this better than the "I'm going to do a turbo build....in like two years" threads.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #165
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Today I hooked up coolant lines to turbo. After going to 3 ace hardware store's I finally got some 1/2" to 5/8" hose barb junctions. Turbo lines are a little smaller then the heater core lines. I was thinking of using the throttle body coolant lines but they were so small I dont now if they would flow enough. So now coolant runs out of cyl. head into turbo and then into heater core and then to T-stat. Should give me super fast heat in the winter. Bonus

Also got a AEM wideband yesterday and will hook it up tomarrow. I should have done this before driving.

Just gotta say driving this thing is so much more fun when it has some BALLS. I mean I aint gonna be taken out no Vetts or STI's. But I wouldn't mind taking a run at a Golf GTI

Last edited by pimp my yaris; 09-09-2010 at 12:29 AM.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #166
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Today I hooked up coolant lines to turbo. After going to 3 ace hardware store's I finally got some 1/2" to 5/8" hose barb junctions. Turbo lines are a little smaller then the heater core lines. I was thinking of using the throttle body coolant lines but they were so small I dont now if they would flow enough. So now coolant runs out of cyl. head into turbo and then into heater core and then to T-stat. Should give me super fast heat in the winter. Bonus

Also got a AEM wideband yesterday and will hook it up tomarrow. I should have done this before driving.

Just gotta say driving this thing is so much more fun when it has some BALLS. I mean I aint gonna be taken out no Vetts or STI's. But I wouldn't mind taking a run at a Golf GTI
Awesome idea on the coolant lines lmao. I'm impressed you were able to find a 5/8" fitting too. Home Depot, Sears, and lowes only carry like 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. Pretty sucky. That's why I ended up using a compression fitting for my coolant lines because it's the only thing that fit.

And agreed on the having balls part. This car + low boost = stupidly fun daily driver. I like having balls.

...That sounded kinda gay.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #167
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Ok I hooked up the aem wideband today and I am running way to lean in the upper half of the rev. range. Foot to the floor in the 1.5k-3.5k rpm range its runing 12/1 but in the upper range its going as high as 16/1 at full boost [6-7psi]. I am glad I found out before any damage was done. My injectors were from a 98-99 1zz corolla. Could these possible be smaller then my stock injectors???
I think I will try the stock injectors for comparison when the engine cools off a little.
I do not have a tuning computer yet. I figured If any thing I would be runing to rich with larger injectors. I guess I was seriously wrong.
Well I hope I can richen things up a bit with that AEM FIC, when I can afford to pick one up.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #168
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
I think I will try the stock injectors for comparison when the engine cools off a little.
Man don't make mistakes after all the money and time invested.

Stock injectors will surely put your engine at risk!

What size of injectors are you using?

What resistance are the injectors rated?

At what fuel pressure are you injecting? Do you have a pressure regulator?

I had 4x Nippon Denso 340cc injectors previously and I ran rich on all rev range with 9psi of boost on a GT28 Turbo. They are for sale if you want
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #169
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Parmas: My fuel system is completely stock, except for stock 1zz injectors. I installed the stock injectors witch actually made it a little richer! I need to get a aem piggyback and try to learn how to make adjustments when the boost is kicking at higher rpm. What are U asking for those 340cc injectors?
For now I am staying out of the high rpm.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #170
Parmas

Quote:
Parmas: My fuel system is completely stock, except for stock 1zz injectors. I installed the stock injectors witch actually made it a little richer! I need to get a aem piggyback and try to learn how to make adjustments when the boost is kicking at higher rpm. What are U asking for those 340cc injectors?
For now I am staying out of the high rpm.
I think the coil resistance of your 1zz injectors are of different impedance than the oem ones since it cannot possible be more rich with stock.

For the injectors I am asking $40 per injector flow tested to 340cc. If you are really interested private msg me with your full address to check shipping charges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 340cc Injectors.jpg (188.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #171
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Well my wastegate actuator came in on friday. It was rated at 7 psi acording to the E-bay description, but when I tested it with my compressor is did not crack until 13-14 psi. This is about the same as the one that is overboosting on my turbo now. Now I am realy F%&*ing pissed. I wasted 48$ for the same shit I already had. What does it take to get a low PSI acutuator. I have searched but can't find one that fits my turbo. I also dont wan't to waste anymore money. So for now I still have this big spring attched to my fender apron pulling my wastegate open early. It looks like crap and I dont trust it for the long run.
Also recieved my heat wrap blanket to wrap my turbo in. It seems promising and quality made. I bought a 1' by 3' sheet. It has a sheet metal backing and can be shaped around things. It is rated for 1800 degrees continuous. I will take a pic and let U know how it turns out. It is difficult to wrap a turbo with a internal wastegate.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #172
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Is there any way to open it up to trim the spring shorter, making it open under less pressure?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #173
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Everyone always says adjusting the nut and increasing the tension or decreasing tension on the spring will change where it actuates at. I have had the exact opposite experience whenever i was adjusting turbos. I tightened it a few cranks past where the wastegate would be shut closed just to have it tight. Cracked around 10psi, anything tighter still cracked at 10psi.

I mean I get the concept, its just like a boost controller with a spring, turn the knob make the spring smaller, ball only allows so much movement in spring to allow air to flow through.

I'd say its worth a try to just fiddle with it, but you never want the wastegate itself loose/ cracked open, always shut tight when you have the actuator on.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #174
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Is there any way to open it up to trim the spring shorter, making it open under less pressure?
I could cut it open but I dont have a welder to put it back together. I still may try that. Mabe find a weaker spring. Thats what I was looking for.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #175
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Once you cut it open, i can almost assure you that it is destroyed. Can you post a graph of your turbo? Maybe 10psi is not TOO much and won't hurt internals. You are on a smaller turbo after all.

Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #176
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I think this is pretty obvious but don't you find it strange that two seperate actuators rated for the correct psi both cracked at the wrong psi? Isn't it possible that something else is the cause...?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #177
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I tested both actuators out of the car and not attached to anything but my compressor. So I dont think it could be any thing else. Its not like the wastegate is binding. Also when installed in my car it will go over 10 psi and maintain it. I refused to hit the gas any harder just to see how high it will go. With a storng spring attached and pulling the oposit direction I have it limited to 6-7 psi. I can tell U both the actuators I have require a lot of force to pull open or compress spring. You need two hands. Its just to much boost for my weee little Yariee. If In was sporting forged rods, pistons and proper fueling I would not worry about 10-15psi. But right now Im running lean at 6-7psi. My car is a 2009 and Im not ready to be ginny pig to see how much it can handle.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #178
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Once you cut it open, i can almost assure you that it is destroyed. Can you post a graph of your turbo? Maybe 10psi is not TOO much and won't hurt internals. You are on a smaller turbo after all.

I dont know why on earth anyone would cut a actuator open in that way except to destroy it. I would make a small cut around the base just to access the spring. I still haven't decided if I want to try that yet. I might try to return it.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #179
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
I have one word for you "Tial"
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #180
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
I have one word for you "Tial"
You have to understand that he is on a budget and Tial wastegates aren't cheap.

We all wish we have all the money like you spent on your Xb !