Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Im Getting 146 MPG!

With my new 2014 Honda Grom 125cc motorcycle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaa 118.jpg (166.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
COOL!

That bike is awesome...! Just did some google look-up's on it, I want one! Haven't rode a bike in years, but that sucker is cool, it would make a great Christmas present!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
That bike is awesome...! Just did some google look-up's on it, I want one! Haven't rode a bike in years, but that sucker is cool, it would make a great Christmas present!
^^^^^ I did the same, and all of your words = right out of my mouth !
Bronsin, did you keep your other motorcycle or does this take the place of the other one?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
lanemeyer14

Drives: 08 base Hb
Sweet! I have a Honda Ruckus and a lot of the ruckus guys are moving up to these as well
lanemeyer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

OK, Now I gotta look up the Ruckus! Oh I'm missing the days of riding my Honda 50 & Honda 70 trail bikes around...I swear if they made them again, I would get one. I think at 150-155 lbs. and 5'-10'' I could still ride one

Thanks Bronsin, Now I'm looking at mini-bikes

Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

2012 RUCKUS in White & Red ???

OMG this is COOL! I want one of these....DANG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_Ruckus_2000x1275_WhiteRed.jpg (287.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Honda 70 trail bikes
Brings back memories. I spent much of the summer when I was 15 riding one around trails and what one local called 'the lava beds' way up in the NE part of California. Memories of riding that bike = why Bronsin's new bike appeals to me (besides the retail price and the MPGs ).

I looked up the regulations for Texas and one can only avoid taking the motorcycle specific road test if : 1. Engine is 50cc tops -- 2. Only has 1 speed/gear -- and 3. Has a top speed of 30 MPH or less....(mostly only mopeds, I would think, would fall into this)....Honda 70 Trail bike and Bronsin's new bike obviously exceed this.

If you end up doing this, and you don't currently have a motorcycle endorsement on your insurance policy, and end up getting bike, please let us know what percentage (thus keeping the amounts private of course) your insurance increased. I'm curious (re possibly following that path myself) and I'd bet I'm not they only one .
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
I think at 150-155 lbs. and 5'-10'' I could still ride one

Im also ~ 5'10" and I go 250 pounds and I AM riding that sucker!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ I did the same, and all of your words = right out of my mouth !
Bronsin, did you keep your other motorcycle or does this take the place of the other one?
Yes I sold it. Im too decreoit physicially to ride a 700 pound motorcycle anymore. PLus the meds I am on (was on) have destroyed my sense of balance.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes I sold it. Im too decreoit physicially to ride a 700 pound motorcycle anymore. PLus the meds I am on (was on) have destroyed my sense of balance.
Have you been on your new bike enough to notice if it has a diminished presence re visibility. I'm thinking re SUV and large Pick Up drivers seeing you (I've found semi drivers are usually keenly aware, so i'm not worried about that). It would also be great to hear from other members re this (especially those, like Bronsin, who have had a bigger bike and now have one like Bronsin's or smaller).
Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
bronsin

Liability and comprehensive runs $82 a year.

I dont have collision because I dont get in motorcycle accidents.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Liability and comprehensive runs $82 a year.

I dont have collision because I dont get in motorcycle accidents.
Thanks! Wow, that's cheap! Same policy as your Yaris, etc. to get a discount for that? I wouldn't get collision either. I can't remember the last time I bought collision, even for a new car. I HATE giving money to an insurance company. I'll take a chance on having to write a check for a new vehicle or bike....with a vehicle I have supreme confidence re no accident that is my fault....with a bike...not as much...but I still wouldn't get collision.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Damn, now I want one! Very cool.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
bronsin

I have 35 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of motorcycle experience.

If anything drivers are MORE aware. Ive been on the busy Admiral Wilson Blvd here in Camden NJ half a dozen times now. This bike is slow to accelerate and as such you cannot control your position in traffic.

Doesnt seem to matter. People give you lots of space. They dont crowd me. In fact they seem to back off like theyre saying to themselves "Holy stuff whats that little motorcycle doing on the road!"

Of course over time the other guy will do dangerous things. Youve got to be ready for it. My solution is limit the amount of time Im in congested areas.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I have 35 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of motorcycle experience.

If anything drivers are MORE aware. Ive been on the busy Admiral Wilson Blvd here in Camden NJ half a dozen times now. This bike is slow to accelerate and as such you cannot control your position in traffic.

Doesnt seem to matter. People give you lots of space. They dont crowd me. In fact they seem to back off like theyre saying to themselves "Holy stuff whats that little motorcycle doing on the road!"

Of course over time the other guy will do dangerous things. Youve got to be ready for it. My solution is limit the amount of time Im in congested areas.
Thanks so much for the input. My part of the Houston Metro (as some others) is growing at an almost dizzying pace with the building of the Exxon North American HQ Campus, the Grand Parkway, and many other projects. The heavy migration to this area isn't going to stop. The traffic is going to get worse. You probably hear this from your relatives who live here. I'm thinking that a small motorcycle might aid moblity (although (according to ridetexas.com) the Texas Department of Public Safety interprets rather unspecific statutes to mean that lane-splitting isn't allowed ).

I'm also wondering about transporting a GROM or even a RUCKUS (wanting the option to use one to compliment car use on a trip). Are most (or all) motorcycle trailers built for larger bikes, or are there ones that would work well with a GROM or RUCKUS? Yarisworld members with larger trailers (for Home Depot runs, etc.) seem to have few if any issues at all re maneuverability. Would the same be true re a small trailer for a small bike?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
I'm also wondering about transporting a GROM or even a RUCKUS (wanting the option to use one to compliment car use on a trip). Are most (or all) motorcycle trailers built for larger bikes, or are there ones that would work well with a GROM or RUCKUS? Yarisworld members with larger trailers (for Home Depot runs, etc.) seem to have few if any issues at all re maneuverability. Would the same be true re a small trailer for a small bike?
HArbour Freight sells tiny trailers for less than $200. All you really need to transport a motorcycle is two straps from the handlebars to anchor points. You use the straps to compress the forks. That is how I transported my Grom 250 miles to my house.

I have also seen hitch mounted motorcycle carriers that run across the back of the vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaa 116.jpg (153.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
HArbour Freight sells tiny trailers for less than $200.
Thanks!

Quote:
All you really need to transport a motorcycle is two straps from the handlebars to anchor points. You use the straps to compress the forks. That is how I transported my Grom 250 miles to my house.
I was trying to picture in my mind how this would be done with (at least one of) the wheels of the bike on the ground . Then I logged in and viewed the pic you posted. Many of my neighbors have pickups, but I don't. My one neighbor (that I can think of off the top of my head) who transports his ATV in his pickup bed uses a modified method similar to what you posted.

Quote:
I have also seen hitch mounted motorcycle carriers that run across the back of the vehicle.
Any on a car as small/light as the Yaris?

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 09-17-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: OOPS -- LOGGED not LOOGED.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks!

I was trying to picture in my mind how this would be done with (at least one of) the wheels of the bike on the ground . Then I logged in and viewed the pic you posted. Many of my neighbors have pickups, but I don't. My one neighbor (that I can think of off the top of my head) who transports his ATV in his pickup bed uses a modified method similar to what you posted.

Any on a car as small/light as the Yaris?

I found hitchcarriers.com , clicked on the 'motorcycle and scooter carriers' category, and all of the examples pictured were attached to SUVs, pickups, vans, and motorhomes.