Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post pics up! I would LOVE to see what that unit looks like in a Yaris! I was going to get one myself, but I couldn't pass up a fantastic offer on a JVC 7" LCD HU.

Oh, and good luck on the install!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
fxny12004

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post pics up! I would LOVE to see what that unit looks like in a Yaris! I was going to get one myself, but I couldn't pass up a fantastic offer on a JVC 7" LCD HU.

Oh, and good luck on the install!
sure thing sir ..will do as soon as i have all of the parts (still waiting on the bezel) and finish the install.
fxny12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #21
fxny12004

So i need some expert advice once more as i want to do this right....so here we go...

1.Is this the parking brake wire( yellow; pictured below) that im supposed to clamp to the decks harness parking break wire, via wire tap? im 90% sure, but dont want to screw it up.
[/IMG]

Here is the parking brake wire coming from the harness.

2. Is this a good spot to mount the GPS antenna(top of a/c air duct)? I cant think of any other place to put it. Any suggestions?

3. Will i need to use the metal mounting brackets (pictured below) on each end of the integrated radio to mount the deck? Reason i ask is that even though i have the metra dask kit to use, the holes used to screw on the dash kit are the same for the metal bracket piece creating a dilema. again just want to make sure i wont need both.

4. Where in the world is the closest speed sensor wire located in the yaris sedan? I have searched ALL over with no luck, and i know its a purple wire according to wire color guide. I looked in the wiring manual and found this as far as location:

But i CANT make visual contact. It seems to be behind metal not accessible(where i painted red) or just dont know where to look. i I took off the glove compartment and looked, with no luck, and i looked under the hood. Where is it and more importantly how can i reach it? Also, the deck harness speed sensor wire is pretty short so i will need to buy some wire and clamp that wire with wire taps to link them right?

5. Lastly, same goes for the reverse gear signal wire. Where and how do i reach it?

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
1. I'd suggest grounding the parking brake wire, otherwise you won't be able to play video, while in motion. If you do want to use it, the Yellow wire is correct.

2. GPS antenna - I tucked mine into the sound absorbing mat the is attached to the bottom of the flat area in front of the cluster.

3. If the metra kit can support the radio and has mounting tabs in the correct place for where the brackets mounted, then you can use it in place of the metal brackets.

4. VSS (speed sensor): The sky blue wire in pin 16 of connector D1 (the smaller of the two connectors going to the cluster). It is between a pink and a yellow wire.

5. Reverse: Typically you can get away without this. It is used to keep your position relatively accurate when the GPS drops the signal for a bit. If you want to hook it up, you can grab the feed for the back-up lamp at the under dash fuse panel. It is a red wire in pin 30 of connector 4A.

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #23
fxny12004

So after talking to a guy ( that i trust) at my steal-ership he showed me where the easiest way to tap into the speed sensor wire is (in his opinion), after an extensive search through the manual. He said to tap into the speed sensor wire going into the ECM (the computer, A21, Pin 8) Its a violet/white wire.

Question is...is this right and or safe? I really dont want to mess up the speed sensor wire or the ecm for that matter if you know what i mean. I already pulled some 18 gauge wire from the passenger cabin to the engine compartment to clamp it with a tap to bring back to the pioneer. Which brings me to my other question: the VSS wire seems to be gauge 22, and i went to three automotive stores AND walmart and they dont sell wire of that gauge. Is it ok if use the 18 gauge? Any consequences or issues in the future? if this wire is gonna cause me more issues, i rather not use it and not connect vss to the navi.

Also, i am planning on finishing the installation tomorrow morning and wanted to confirm some wire colors. I am all set with the speaker wires, i just wasnt sure about some of them since the color guide posted here is somewhat vague for us noobs

So..just want to make sure i get these straight before i start clamping away with the taps:

Radio 12v blue + radio harness : this wire goes to the terminal always supplied with power regardless if ignition switch position

Radio Ignition gray + radio harness this wire goes to the electric terminal controlled by ignition

Radio Illumination green + radio harness this goes to the lightting switch terminal (will let the pioneer unit know when my headlights are on and therefore switch color scheme for night)

Did i get these right?

i know im a total noob and i appreciate all the help i've already received so praise YARISWORLD

thanks dudes!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxny12004 View Post
So after talking to a guy ( that i trust) at my steal-ership he showed me where the easiest way to tap into the speed sensor wire is (in his opinion), after an extensive search through the manual. He said to tap into the speed sensor wire going into the ECM (the computer, A21, Pin 8) Its a violet/white wire.

Question is...is this right and or safe? I really dont want to mess up the speed sensor wire or the ecm for that matter if you know what i mean. I already pulled some 18 gauge wire from the passenger cabin to the engine compartment to clamp it with a tap to bring back to the pioneer. Which brings me to my other question: the VSS wire seems to be gauge 22, and i went to three automotive stores AND walmart and they dont sell wire of that gauge. Is it ok if use the 18 gauge? Any consequences or issues in the future? if this wire is gonna cause me more issues, i rather not use it and not connect vss to the navi.

Also, i am planning on finishing the installation tomorrow morning and wanted to confirm some wire colors. I am all set with the speaker wires, i just wasnt sure about some of them since the color guide posted here is somewhat vague for us noobs

So..just want to make sure i get these straight before i start clamping away with the taps:

Radio 12v blue + radio harness : this wire goes to the terminal always supplied with power regardless if ignition switch position

Radio Ignition gray + radio harness this wire goes to the electric terminal controlled by ignition

Radio Illumination green + radio harness this goes to the lightting switch terminal (will let the pioneer unit know when my headlights are on and therefore switch color scheme for night)

Did i get these right?

i know im a total noob and i appreciate all the help i've already received so praise YARISWORLD

thanks dudes!
Correct on the wire colors.

For the speed sensor, tapping it at the combination meter, as I mentioned above, is a better choice, particularly, as it is right above where you are working with the radio.

Another option for the speed sensor is right at the radio (for Sedans only, which have the factory aux jack). The white wire in pin 3 of the aux jack connector at the back of the radio is a feed from the speed sensor. The white wire is at the opposite end of the connector from the 4 wires for the aux jack (which are in 15,16,17,19)
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #25
fxny12004

FINISHED PRODUCT

I Finally Managed To Finish The Install!!!!!!!! Thanks To All Of You Who Made This Happen!!!! YarisWorld Rocks

As promised..Here are the pics!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
fxny12004

If anyone has any particular questions on the install itself with this particular unit (Pioneer X920BT), dont hesitate to ask!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #27
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Just got a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, but my Yaris is an '09 5-door LB.

I too need to find the best places (closest to where the HU goes) to tap into for:
- Speed signal / sensor
- Parking brake
- Reverse Signal

Can anyone please help me find these?

Thanks.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Just got a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, but my Yaris is an '09 5-door LB.

I too need to find the best places (closest to where the HU goes) to tap into for:
- Speed signal / sensor
- Parking brake
- Reverse Signal

Can anyone please help me find these?

Thanks.
Look at my post #22 above for reverse and VSS. For the parking brake: Yellow wire in 4C-22.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #29
IsLNdbOi

Where is this:

located in the car? Where is 4C-22? I see something labeled "4C" in the picture, but only 16 holes.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Where is this:

located in the car? Where is 4C-22? I see something labeled "4C" in the picture, but only 16 holes.

Thanks.
Sorry - Typo - 4C-2.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
IsLNdbOi

Thanks for the clarification. So where is this whole assembly located in the car? Is this the one on the driver side, below the little drawer (that's below the cup holder)?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. So where is this whole assembly located in the car? Is this the one on the driver side, below the little drawer (that's below the cup holder)?
Correct.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #33
IsLNdbOi

Ok, so I finally have time to do this install. So for my '09 5-door LB, is this box the same?

Parking brake:
4C-2 (what color is the wire?)

Reverse Signal:
red wire in 4A-30

Speed signal / sensor:
sky blue wire in D1-16 (the smaller of the two connectors going to the cluster) and between a pink and a yellow wire. Where is this? I see a 4D connector, but it only has 14 pins.

Is all of this correct for the '09 5-door LB? All of these connectors / pins are in that box in the picture above?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

See my comments in red:

Quote:
Ok, so I finally have time to do this install. So for my '09 5-door LB, is this box the same?

Parking brake:
4C-2 (what color is the wire?) Yellow

Reverse Signal:
red wire in 4A-30

Speed signal / sensor:
sky blue wire in D1-16 (the smaller of the two connectors going to the cluster) and between a pink and a yellow wire. Where is this? I see a 4D connector, but it only has 14 pins.

Connector D1 is at the cluster. Instead, you can grab the sky blue wire in 4C-8.

Is all of this correct for the '09 5-door LB? All of these connectors / pins are in that box in the picture above?

Yes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #35
IsLNdbOi

Thanks again CTScott. Got everything up and running.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 06-08-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #36
rahimB
I've made a post!

Drives: suzuki
Megan Racing coilovers

Hello,
Easy suspension tuning is in your hands. S - Tech was made so that everyone can enjoy sports driving. TEIN based these springs on original specification so that the installation is easy. Full compliance with car inspection, and great styling. Adding some more exicitement to your ride.. The highest quality brought to you at great JayDM prices. Now comes in two types to choose from.
------------------
Megan Racing coilovers

Last edited by rahimB; 06-11-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: mistake
rahimB is offline   Reply With Quote