Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
hafgoncalves

Drives: yaris 1.0 Sol
MP3 player help

Hello,

I bought a new MP3 player last week and I'm planning to connect it to my "new Yaris" 2008 model.

My problem is that I don't "see" any audio entry (AUX?) to connect a cable like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2002&sku=40411

Does the regular yaris radio got his entry (AUX)? where is it?

I also consider to install the mp3 entry for ipod, but is so expensive... really to expensive!

What's the best option?

Best Regards and many thanks

Hugo

Last edited by hafgoncalves; 01-27-2009 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Correction
hafgoncalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
The jack should be by your e-brake, if your car has one. They are standard in the US, and I understand that they are an option in Canada; hence, not every Yaris come standard with one, and I'm not sure about Portugal. Look on the center consul under the handle of the e-brake.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
hafgoncalves

MP3 player

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
The jack should be by your e-brake, if your car has one. They are standard in the US, and I understand that they are an option in Canada; hence, not every Yaris come standard with one, and I'm not sure about Portugal. Look on the center consul under the handle of the e-brake.
I don't have it as standard that's for sure. but your telling me that if I open that little case under the handle of the e-brake I might have a chance?

Imagine that I really have that luck... then I don't have to install a AUX entry or something or it will be there when I open it?

Best regards, and many thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafgoncalves View Post
I don't have it as standard that's for sure. but your telling me that if I open that little case under the handle of the e-brake I might have a chance?

Imagine that I really have that luck... then I don't have to install a AUX entry or something or it will be there when I open it?

Can you post a picture of which radio your Yaris came with? Some, but not all of the head units have an Aux input.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Quote:

No, you wouldn't find anything under the pop off piece by the e-brake; it it's not installed there, there shouldn't be anything under there.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
No, you wouldn't find anything under the pop off piece by the e-brake; it it's not installed there, there shouldn't be anything under there.
Exactly - The best case is that your head unit supports an Aux input, and in that case, you can order the appropriate cable assembly.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Could be a good excuse to buy a new radio with an Aux port on the front...

Otherwise you can get a MP3 transmitter device that will broadcast to the FM radio you have. The sound isn't quite as nice, but it's 1/8 the cost of a new radio or having an aftermarket Aux port put in.

In my LB the Aux port is on the center console just to the right of the hand brake.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:

Nope, EU Yarii don't get the AUX connector. The only thing you can get from the dealer is an iPod connector to the glovebox. Guess you'll have to figure something else out...

PS. 1,0 Linea Sol FTW! :)

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
Nope, EU Yarii don't get the AUX connector. The only thing you can get from the dealer is an iPod connector to the glovebox. Guess you'll have to figure something else out...

PS. 1,0 Linea Sol FTW! :)

Yup he's right. But with some convincing the dealer did throw in a cd player with an AUX connector.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
Yup he's right. But with some convincing the dealer did throw in a cd player with an AUX connector.
I've always been puzzled by how the Aygo gets an AUX-connector as standard even on the base model and they can't fit one in the Yaris. That said, it's the only thing I envy with the Aygo

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
hafgoncalves

Yep, Yaris EU doesn't have AUX entry. Toyota doesn't support it, they told me that I must install the Ipod connector... 250€!!! OMFG!!!

Guess that I have to buy a new radio or that cable!

Does anyone know if its possible to add an Aux entry or where I can buy it?

Cheers to you and to Yaris!!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yep, Yaris EU doesn't have AUX entry. Toyota doesn't support it, they told me that I must install the Ipod connector... 250€!!! OMFG!!!

Guess that I have to buy a new radio or that cable!

Does anyone know if its possible to add an Aux entry or where I can buy it?

Cheers to you and to Yaris!!
Looking at the European brochure it looks like the only aux input option is a USB input (as opposed to audio input, like we have as an option over here). There are cheaper aftermarket Aux input devices that take advantage of the Toyota USB iPod interface. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Toyota-Yaris-99-0...3286.m63.l1177

This may be an option, but I would check to make sure it is really compatible with your exact radio...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Hugo,

Not sure what your interior looks like exactly, but I have the US 2008 Manual Yaris Sedan, and there are two small storage bins (each could hold 2 CD cases) on the left and right of the center consol (just to the right of your calf if your foot was on the gas pedal). The AUX jack is in the right one on the front vertical panal, facing towards the rear. Mine fits the kind of plug you show in your link. Let me know, I'm curious about all the little differences between models around the world.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mp3 radio