Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
So... twin DIN install. (NOT Double DIN) Is it possible?

Mostly asking as I'm finally sick and tired of the flaky stock CD/Radio in my Yaris LB and planning to switch it out for a Blaupunkt SD48 (much as I hate their brand, they're about the only reasonably-priced SD-card-only 1-DIN head unit out there).

Now, the trick here is that I found a CB unit that's ALSO 1-DIN sized, and has both Public Address (think bullhorn) and external speaker (I.E. an iPod cable or cell-phone override plug lets it play through the stereo) ports on it.

So, if I get the double-DIN mounting kit can I use that to mount two single-DIN items together? I didn't spot any photos of this when I skimmed through the Double-DIN threads.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
goku87

Drives: Black HB
yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

whether or not you can find a twin din kit is another story; might be easier for you to fabricate one...
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If both devices are true single DIN, then you really don't need a kit (Other than the Metra Double DIN to fill the gap on the sides).

I mounted two single DIN devices in my Xterra (a Sony HU and a Pyle DVD player). The X had a true Double DIN radio, so I stacked the two devices, using the OEM radio's mounting bracket (and the holes even lined up with the mounting holes in the two devices). I can barely slide a piece of paper between the two, so a trim kit wouldn't have even fit:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Correct. Here is an FJ cruiser, which has the same Metra kit that we use. CB and stereo. The mounting holes should be the same, it'll work fine.

I went with a Cobra 18WXSTII (the one in the pic below). It was the only thing that would fit in the Yaris, unless I went with a mini unit, and fabbed up a mounting plate, external speaker, etc. Got a Wilson FGT 3' antenna on the way, and a new AM/FM 3' antenna. Gonna make a fake co-phase looking setup. lol

What CB did you go with?

Oh, and I also posted a good deal on eBay. The double DIN kit, and wiring harness for the stereo, about 16 bucks shipped.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15179
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1498.JPG (71.0 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by Sodium Duck; 03-26-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Sodium Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Correct. Here is an FJ cruiser, which has the same Metra kit that we use. CB and stereo. The mounting holes should be the same, it'll work fine.

I went with a Cobra 18WXSTII. It was the only thing that would fit in the Yaris, unless I went with a mini unit, and fabbed up a mounting plate, external speaker, etc. Got a Wilson FGT 3' antenna on the way, and a new AM/FM 3' antenna. Gonna make a fake co-phase looking setup. lol

What CB did you go with?

Oh, and I also posted a good deal on eBay. The double DIN kit, and wiring harness for the stereo, about 16 bucks shipped.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15179

What HU did you go with? I just bought pennyracer's Eclipse AVN2210p (the one with the removable TomTom GPS). I installed it yesterday and am totally digging it...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Haven't bought one yet. I can't really decide what I want.

That is a pretty spiffy unit. Now if we could only find the normal DIN sized trim piece... lol
Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Keep your fingers crossed. I may have found the OEM DD trim piece. I will know for sure in a couple of days, and if so, I will arrange a GB for them...
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
The 180mm DD trim piece?!? Awesome!
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
WolfWings

Yeah, I'm looking at the Cobra 18 myself for the CB unit. I was going to get a Cobra 75 (the one with all the controls in the mic and a small box you install so you just make a jack in your dash somewhere) but they discontinued the easy-to-install dash-jack cable.

As for HU, looking at the Blaupunkt SD48 since I have no use or need for a CD player, I'd rather use SD cards. :-)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

The only other DIN sized CB out there really is the Uniden Pro 538W, but unfortunately it's about 9 inches long. Way too big for out dash. It's also the only other CB with a front firing speaker. The only option after that is export 10M radios, but they're a no no in America... sort of defeats the purpose of having a CB anyways.

There are a lot of non-standard CB's that would fit, but they don't have front firing speakers, and aren't wide enough. Blah.

Well good luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
Sweet Denmark sourced goodness!! !! CTScott if you get your hands on the elusive 180mm part count me in

Sounds like Duck would want one too

Awesome I see that you were successful - Thanks for the effort - - I'll buy you some pizza and suds, and of course pay for the part . . .

Last edited by pariahdecss; 03-27-2009 at 11:49 AM.
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Looks like a go with the 180mm trim!

Check out:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15496
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
WolfWings

Woot, signed up for it!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
WolfWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Got a Wilson FGT 3' antenna on the way, and a new AM/FM 3' antenna. Gonna make a fake co-phase looking setup. lol
Forgot to ask, there a reason you're not just making a proper co-phase setup and use a CB->CB+AM/FM splitter? It's safe to split the AM/FM off of a CB setup, and works quite effectively. And a 'fake co-phase' setup will actually have worse reception and transmission for both CB and AM/FM compared to just a single antenna.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Well, we'll see. But I doubt that having an antenna for CB and one for AM/FM 5ft. away will do worse than a CB+AM/FM splitter. There's no way. Everyone on my CB forum says they have used those splitters and that they suck eggs.

Besides, if I had a true co-phase setup then my signal would go good in only one direction, I want to project all around.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
WolfWings

First off: Co-phase doesn't turn your antenna into a Yagi. It's a mild tweak but it also reduces the power you waste broadcasting at passing airplanes. :-)

And I've found lots of crappy AM/FM/CB splitters, unless it's N-type input and seperate tuning screws for the N-type output and Motorola output, I won't touch em' for love nor money. I have no problem getting sub-1.3 tuning with a single 3' antenna from channel 1 through channel 40 on my CB through a FireStik AR-15 splitter, and it's wonderful reception for radio stations. :-)