Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
what are you guys doing for noise deadening?

i have some serious issues with noise in this car. i didnt notice it at first but the more i drive the car the louder the radio gets...and at night on long drives my ears are ringing. now i'm not one to go blaring the radio thinkin it's cool...i just like to hear what's playing...

and i know that the front conrtol arms and steering knuckle mounts basically to the firewall and doesnt help, but i was wondering if anyone has layed down some dyno-mat or sound deadening material and if it was worth the cost.

also, did you remove the factory sound mat or leave it...how far did you go??? complete firewall and kick panels? flooring? remove all paneling or just the spots that made serious noise?
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
www.raammat.com

get 1 roll (62.5sq ft)... throw it all over the floor, 2 layers EVERYWHERE on the floor. If you really want to get rid of noise... pick up 2 rolls... put the 2nd roll on the doors/side panels/firewall/roof.

Check out sqcomp's post for ideas on the doors.

some ensolite foam wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
You can take a look at my progress so far on the door panel post.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17465

I'm using Stinger Expert Roadkill, Ensolite foam, and Daptex latex foam filler.

I'll be going all the way, including the roof. I'm not close to finished...I can easily say that it is WELL worth the cost.

This weekend I'm looking at doing part of the floor pan. Of course I'll put some pics up.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Getting rid of noise in a car is a challenge. You need to make sure to use the right material in the right application. Read this blog page. It will explain quite a bit.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/blog/index.htm

Remember there are 3 basic categories of sound modulating technologies....

Barriers - stop sound - very dense (lead or mass loaded vinyl)
Dampeners - stop vibration and sound which resonates and travels through the body (metal)
Absorbers - high quality acoustical foams - not the egg crate crap, neoprene, memory foam actually atenuate sound by absorbing it.

You CAN effectively reduce all noise in a Yaris with appropriate application of the right materials. Mine is quite quiet with a combination of Raamat, Lead composite material(hard to work with) and second skin audio products. Damplifier pro is bar none the finest dampener out there. Spend the money the first time to avoid problems in the future.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
do you think the sound deadening will hinder the performance? I was thinking of using the same, dyno-mat, because long trips the road is too loud... unless my coopers are making the loud noise...
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Switching tires can make a difference.

What kind of "performance" do you currently have with your Yaris? You're going to add weight to the vehicle, not too much though.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I sound deadened mine and it makes a great deal of difference for general exterior noise and vibration, but I have noisy tires and 18" rims so I still hear tire noise quite a bit.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i'm lookin to buy 16's with a 205/45/16 so noise shouldnt be comin from tires with that setup. i'm hearing most of my noise from where my feet are in the cab...by the pedals. and also comin from the rear...where the shocks are apparently.

i want to soften the sound, not eliminate. so i'm wondering what all you guys are doing to make the care quieter....not silent.

where did you put the dynomat or whatever material you're using? floorboard? doors? firewall? freakin roof?

what had the most effect? where would you start if you had to do it again on a new yaris HB?
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

PM Talnlnky...He's the one with the hatch and deadening. I'm just a sedan owner.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
i'm lookin to buy 16's with a 205/45/16 so noise shouldnt be comin from tires with that setup. i'm hearing most of my noise from where my feet are in the cab...by the pedals. and also comin from the rear...where the shocks are apparently.

i want to soften the sound, not eliminate. so i'm wondering what all you guys are doing to make the care quieter....not silent.

where did you put the dynomat or whatever material you're using? floorboard? doors? firewall? freakin roof?

what had the most effect? where would you start if you had to do it again on a new yaris HB?
If you have subs in the hatch you'd want to deaden that part too. Even if you don't have subs, i'd say to put 1 layer of mat down in the back. The firewall, floorboards, and wheel wells seem to be the main culprits in the HB. The foot area behind the front seats is VERY Flimsy, I actually put 3 layers of mat, then a layer of ensolite foam, and honestly, I still feel it could be better (but its good enough).

In my setup I put at least 2 layers on all the floor
1 layer on the wheel wells
At least 1 layer on the side panels (behind the doors.
And 1 layer of foam everywhere.

When I have subs in, they are only dual 8's so I don't cause any rattles in the hatch. Driving around I notice most of the noise comes from up front... I need to hit the wheels a bit more, the firewall for sure.. the front doors... and possibly even the front floor a bit more.

Since you drive in the front... i'd focus most on the front of the car for noise.

as a side note... i'm really starting to think about ripping the dash apart and matting and foaming it... because at 27k miles i'm not getting dash rattle... I'll talk to the dealership... it may be covered... there's a TSB on it...
Old 05-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
The firewall, floorboards, and wheel wells seem to be the main culprits in the HB. The foot area behind the front seats is VERY Flimsy, I actually put 3 layers of mat, then a layer of ensolite foam, and honestly, I still feel it could be better (but its good enough).
Very, VERY true. I'll verify this as someone else that's damped out most of their HB, had various audio-philes crawl around the bare-metal vehicle while I rolled over a gravel driveway, one was daring enough to let me take it for a brief spin on the highway and back so he could listen for road-noise spots.

Rear wheel wells and the floorpan under the rear seats are big culprits. The rear hatch itself is actually quite worth laying a good layer of mat inside, though due to needing to get into the guts for lights I don't recommend fully sealing it like a door.

My 3-door Yaris hatchback/liftback has between 1 and 5 layers of RaamMat across everything behind the B-pillar, the 5 layers are on the rear quarter panels behind the rear speakers. That part is just so friggin' flimsy it took that much material to get it to stop going 'ting' when I rapped the sheetmetal on the outside with my knuckles. Most of it's only 2 layers, just one or two spots on the big flat expanse about 3-6 inches below the 'crease' in the bodywork acted like a tom-tom drum.

I subscribe to the 'stop the metalling ting' approach to dampening first though, aiming just to reinforce and stop white-noise from penetrating but still wanting distinct outside noises to be able to punch through. More akin to a Lexus or Benz than a DB Drag Race style, less 'complete seal' and more 'not THAT was a satsifying door to slam' and 'oh crap, what did I just run over?' type.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Very, VERY true. I'll verify this as someone else that's damped out most of their HB, had various audio-philes crawl around the bare-metal vehicle while I rolled over a gravel driveway, one was daring enough to let me take it for a brief spin on the highway and back so he could listen for road-noise spots.

Rear wheel wells and the floorpan under the rear seats are big culprits. The rear hatch itself is actually quite worth laying a good layer of mat inside, though due to needing to get into the guts for lights I don't recommend fully sealing it like a door.

My 3-door Yaris hatchback/liftback has between 1 and 5 layers of RaamMat across everything behind the B-pillar, the 5 layers are on the rear quarter panels behind the rear speakers. That part is just so friggin' flimsy it took that much material to get it to stop going 'ting' when I rapped the sheetmetal on the outside with my knuckles. Most of it's only 2 layers, just one or two spots on the big flat expanse about 3-6 inches below the 'crease' in the bodywork acted like a tom-tom drum.

I subscribe to the 'stop the metalling ting' approach to dampening first though, aiming just to reinforce and stop white-noise from penetrating but still wanting distinct outside noises to be able to punch through. More akin to a Lexus or Benz than a DB Drag Race style, less 'complete seal' and more 'not THAT was a satsifying door to slam' and 'oh crap, what did I just run over?' type.
I actually only did 1 layer.. and then another partial layer over those rear panels. I then laid a layer of ensolite foam over the mat, and loaded that entire gap up with some 2" foam skins (kinda like open cell with a rubber like barrier on one side). I don't run rear fill, so I didn't feel that i needed to do anything more than prevent roadnoise from entering in that panel... If I had speakers mounted there... yeah... prolly would've done 2-3layers on the entire panel.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I have a bunch of questions, but won't clog the boards with another thread on sound deadening...

Would doing one (1 only) full layer of some dampering material on the entire interior be worth it? (inner and outer doors, roof, floor, hatch door, rear hatch area, firewall, etc.) Will the interior be that much more quiet?

Also, does a layer of that foam absorber/ensolite stuff really make that much more of a difference?

I think me and the OP have similar needs. I don't necessarily want to kill all road noise completely - I mean you can't really do that, unless you go completely insane with sound deadening. Personally, I just want my car to be quiet when I'm on the highway, or when I drive in the rain -- you know how the water sounds in the rear hatch area when you hit a puddle? (Maybe after I put a damper material in there, stuff it with poly-fil?)

Last edited by Sodium Duck; 06-14-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Sodium Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
I have a bunch of questions, but won't clog the boards with another thread on sound deadening...

Would doing one (1 only) full layer of some dampering material on the entire interior be worth it? (inner and outer doors, roof, floor, hatch door, rear hatch area, firewall, etc.) Will the interior be that much more quiet?

Also, does a layer of that foam absorber/ensolite stuff really make that much more of a difference?

I think me and the OP have similar needs. I don't necessarily want to kill all road noise completely - I mean you can't really do that, unless you go completely insane with sound deadening. Personally, I just want my car to be quiet when I'm on the highway, or when I drive in the rain -- you know how the water sounds in the rear hatch area when you hit a puddle? (Maybe after I put a damper material in there, stuff it with poly-fil?)
THe foam... I really don't know how much of a difference it makes... I think the mat makes more of a difference, tho it does cost more.

YES for me... 1 layer all over the car would be worth it. Drop the $120 or whatever it is and get 62sq ft. Now.... some places need more help than others.... so you might be better off just doing 2 layers on your floor boards/firewall/wheel wells instead of doing the doors/sides/roof.

The way I see it... my sound deadening allows me to up my tire pressure to the mid 40's without noticing a difference in sound over stock @ 32psi. When I had the car gutted and istalled the stuff I remember thinking, wow... even with the interior carpet out this car is quieter while driving over gravel roads.

My only regret was that I couldn't afford to rolls when I did the deadening. I wish I would've done 3 layers on every part of the floor boards & firewall.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

And those are.... super sonic ear plugs?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
And those are.... super sonic ear plugs?
my sound deadener ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

And so it begins. *going to be slowly removing interior over next couple of weeks*