Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
New Boom.

Got bored and changed things up a bit. I still do have a good bit of trunk space all things considered.

Three brand new Type R's, so far Im impressed with their performance seeing as how they're pretty underpowered.

Box is triple ported @ 1.6cuft per chamber. I had a guy in NE build it, it came out very very nice.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I still think the RE was the best quality sub you've had yet..... I don't fully understand why you keep changing things up.....especially on your sub stage.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Yea the RE's were very nice but they were just too pwer hungry...1000rms each and the amp i was using wasnt even giving them that while it was at the same time tearing down my yellowtop.

Ive just always been curious about different sub stages. I think ill stay with this one for a while since it gives a fair amount of trunk space and a nice rumble....the lows are very very low. I like it.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
Yea the RE's were very nice but they were just too pwer hungry...1000rms each and the amp i was using wasnt even giving them that while it was at the same time tearing down my yellowtop.

Ive just always been curious about different sub stages. I think ill stay with this one for a while since it gives a fair amount of trunk space and a nice rumble....the lows are very very low. I like it.
Physics 101 for ya....
Hoffman's Iron Law tells us that a sub can do 1 or 2 of the following three thing... but NEVER all 3. It can do sub-par job at all three however.

1:fit in a small box
2: Play low
3: be efficient

like I said, pick two that it will do well at, and one it will be horrible at.... Generally car subs pick #1, and then split 50/50 with #2/#3, so they do mediocre on those two parts.

You just said the RE required too much power to get as loud as you wanted... But then you said the Type R's fit in a small box, play low, and are more efficient...... Your mind is playing tricks on you. Physics doesn't play tricks.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

back when i had the RE's i never even looked at the current voltage at different volume levels etc to gauge how loud is safe for the electrical and I bet now that looking back when I would occasionally do it full tilt for a short demo the voltage was going to the low 12's high 11's.

I just will never let that happen since Im always monitoring everything now.

The R's do in fact play very low, as far as efficiency...well it is what it is. As far as each one is concerned the box is relatively small in that each one has maybe 1.5cuft. to work with.

Id say that the 3 R's on a realistic 800 watts from the 1200watt amp are close to be as loud as the RE's.

Im playin around with the idea of using one of the two Type X's i just got although I do need to sell them Im very curious to how they perform.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
back when i had the RE's i never even looked at the current voltage at different volume levels etc to gauge how loud is safe for the electrical and I bet now that looking back when I would occasionally do it full tilt for a short demo the voltage was going to the low 12's high 11's.

I just will never let that happen since Im always monitoring everything now.

The R's do in fact play very low, as far as efficiency...well it is what it is. As far as each one is concerned the box is relatively small in that each one has maybe 1.5cuft. to work with.

Id say that the 3 R's on a realistic 800 watts from the 1200watt amp are close to be as loud as the RE's.

Im playin around with the idea of using one of the two Type X's i just got although I do need to sell them Im very curious to how they perform.
Just get your hands on one of the old school RE XXX subs... the ones that used XBL^2 technology.... Those subs were the best street better sub ever made, regardless of price.

If you've got $400 laying around and don't mind making a big box... i'd say run one of these...
http://www.diycable.com/main/product...debcc77d3be9e5

tho it is actually meant for Home Theater... it'll do an awesome job in the car if you're willing to give up 5-10cuft.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

thats one hell of a woofer, those guys are using 16-24cuft boxes for that thing although the larger end of the spectrum is for ported and at 16hz which is incredible.

Ive heard good stories about the old school xxx's and theres ususally a few lyin around in the classifieds at caraudio.com

I might head in that direction after my alpine phase is over.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I'm gonna get flamed for this I know... Awesome components... horrible install. Hope you don't hit your brakes too hard....
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

the component are....decent

i have before and they dont move much.

it could be cleaner sure but im not entering any shows anytime soon...ever. and its functional and stable.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
the component are....decent

i have before and they dont move much.

it could be cleaner sure but im not entering any shows anytime soon...ever. and its functional and stable.

Cool!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
How good does ur HDU perform?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

hdu? headunit? ive seen many many an acronym before but not that one. maybe its just bc im tired.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
thats one hell of a woofer, those guys are using 16-24cuft boxes for that thing although the larger end of the spectrum is for ported and at 16hz which is incredible.

Ive heard good stories about the old school xxx's and theres ususally a few lyin around in the classifieds at caraudio.com

I might head in that direction after my alpine phase is over.
the thing with that 18" I linked you... is that you wouldn't need to use such a big box & low tuning... as that is meant for very flat response in a house. Cars have cabin gain in the 30hz and down region... so you could go with a higher tuning, and smaller box... and end up getting a bit of a bump in the 30hz range for that LOW LOOOOOOW bass you hear in some rap songs.

I haven't modeled that sub for a long time, but I believe I could probably design a box that'd be around 8cuft that would work...

I had a buddy run a RE XXX18 (old design) in a wall in a honda civic hatchback.... was a killer setup. Threw over 3kw's to the sub and never fried the coil... tho he did tear the spider eventually... and yes, he did it for competitions. Kid ran 4 1000ca bats & a 280amp 15v alternator. When doing burps his voltage never dropped below 14volts.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

ive come to the sad realization that I wont be able to do much more being limited to 1K for subs and even that is pushing it.

Ive got these two type xs im dying to try out but i cant justify giving them like 500 watts each.

Id love to have an HO alt but as Ive been told by one of the few HO alt companys is that it cant be done for the yaris...

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
ive come to the sad realization that I wont be able to do much more being limited to 1K for subs and even that is pushing it.

Ive got these two type xs im dying to try out but i cant justify giving them like 500 watts each.

Id love to have an HO alt but as Ive been told by one of the few HO alt companys is that it cant be done for the yaris...
Quote:

why not? maybe not using the stock casing... but i'm sure you can do it... i know there's at least one company that makes HO alts for the yaris because a few people have paid for them.... I was randomly looking for alts... there was a few companies that made "1 size fits all" alts.... I wonder if any of those would work... one of them was fairly cheap... I wanna say $150, though it was only 100amps... so not a huge difference. 250watts isn't enought to justify that kind of money.

If you want to get louder, think about efficiency. Efficient sub (something with a high dB to w/m rating... and a flat BL curve so it remains efficient even when you give it 1000 watts. Then there is the big 3 upgrade. Then there is the design of the box you use.

Those three things right there can have an astronomical effect on how loud you get.

Do the big 3 upgrade like sqcomp did.... and I eventually plan on doing when i', not so lazy. I've got 17 feet of 4awg I can cut up for mine.

Last edited by talnlnky; 08-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Ive been procrastinating for a very long time on the big 3 but itll get done.

The main reason I believe an HO alt cant be done is because of what the guy at Ohio generator said.

This is copied from the honda element club or whatever but its word for word what was told to me for our yaris.

" I asked about a better alternator for the Element. Gus had good news and bad news. The bad news is there is no high output alternator for our car. The good news is we own a better alternator than we think we do.

Honda uses a Denso alternator in the Element. They make many of the alternators for Japanese cars. Specifically, Gus gave me this part number: 104 210 3290. This doesn't match any Honda number so I'd imagine this is a Denso number. In our car, the stator (the part of the alternator that doesn't turn) uses square hairpin wiring. It is not your typical round wire and the stator cannot be re-wound to put out more current. It is what it is.

And that is better than we thought. Gus said he had in the shop half a dozen hairpin wire Denso alternators similar to ours for testing and consistently they put out 35-40 amps more than their rating. The service manual specs the Element's alternator at 90 amp. The Gus Rating System says that it is really a 125-130 amp alternator.

Gus recommended I use multiple batteries and better wire instead. I agreed.
"

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Physics doesn't play tricks.
But you can do tricks with physics!!!

http://www.einsteinyear.org/get_invo...%20updated.pdf

Quote:
The main reason I believe an HO alt cant be done is because of what the guy at Ohio generator said.
HO Alts can be made. They just have to be made from scratch, not rebuilt from our current alternator.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Would you like some car with your subwoofer?

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote