Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
tips for getting a real job

So I'm sick of getting paid crap, I have a decent resume and should be able to find a better paying job, even in this economy. My only problem is that I've never really tried before. I have a college degree. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
What do you have a degree in?
You should probably aim for a job related to your degree.
How old are you? How do you dress? Are you self confident?
All of these questions will have a big impact on you getting hired.
I hate to say it, but the biggest thing that keeps people from getting hired for a good job is appearance and attitude.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

My degree is in communications and journalism. Lots of public relations stuff, some pretty good experience in college in that. The only thing I don't really have on that list is confidence. I have some good experience in some other things that should help too.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
communications is what i called the "cop out" major.. one of those use all everyone goes for it if they dont know what to major in.. i did the ultimate cop out and just didnt go lol

do you have an interest in journalism? you could maybe start writing letters to the editor to the local paper and start a blog and try to get some attention to write for the paper? grab a camera and start taking pics and submit those to the local paper to :) keep you busy when you arent working and could be pretty fun.

if you dont actually a get a job in journalism i would say communications is basically going to give you better chances at management in retail stores. I say i hate retail but i find myself usually going for retail jobs. I do like selling stuff and wheeling and dealing .. so it seems to fit me okay.

its a tough job market out there . the crappy economy has sorta leveled the playing field in the lower range of jobs now that lawyers and such are now working at walmart lol

right now i work 2 day a week at a pet store then i screen print on the side (bought a press a year back and started advertising on CL and at local concerts.. have a few constant customers that help keep the bills paid)

whatever you do definitely have a backup or an exit plan. the way the job market is you need something to fall back on depending where you are you might be lucky to have a job at all
Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Well, creative writing is a skill that I have noticed in many of his posts, fabricating opposing opinions is a marketable skill in politics.

I spent a lot of time with young guys coming out of school, not knowing what they wanted to do for a career. My constant advice was "do what you really like to do", and it worked most of the time. One guy was told (by his school counselor) that playing his clarinet would never pay the rent: I told him to try anyhow. He pursued clarinet as a career, and is now first clarinet in a symphony orchestra. He did what he really liked to do...

If one does crap jobs, one gets crap wages. At the same time, happiness is wanting what you have!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It is a difficult time for new graduates. If you are serious, this is what you do. Make a list of companies that need your type of degree. Apply for any position in that company that you are qualified, janitor, messenger, mail clerk, etc... Once you have a job with the company, introduce yourself to the department heads and let them know your qualification. It is easier to move up in a company, once you're in. Good luck!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Where do you live?
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
So I'm sick of getting paid crap, I have a decent resume and should be able to find a better paying job, even in this economy. My only problem is that I've never really tried before. I have a college degree. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.
I have a crap job, however, I get paid well for what I do. The only reason I work is for the time I am not working. What time I get off, weekends, vacation, and retirement. My fulfillment in life comes from hobbies and other interests I do outside of work.

Do something you love and it wont be a job. Or make money and give up on the idea that the job is going to make you happy. That being said, find a job that offers advancement. Most places you will start at entry level positions. Try for your bosses job. Take a few days off and apply for various jobs in different fields.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I have a crap job, however, I get paid well for what I do. The only reason I work is for the time I am not working. What time I get off, weekends, vacation, and retirement. My fulfillment in life comes from hobbies and other interests I do outside of work.

Do something you love and it wont be a job. Or make money and give up on the idea that the job is going to make you happy. That being said, find a job that offers advancement. Most places you will start at entry level positions. Try for your bosses job. Take a few days off and apply for various jobs in different fields.
I would agree with ^

I also want to add that the vast majority of the people I know do not work in a field related to their major.

My advice: 1) find out what you like to do, 2) do it, 3) get good at it, 4) find ways to get paid for it regardless of what you just majored in.

You got a college degree, that's great. Now, what it is you really want to do?

In the meantime, work to pay bills, there is nothing wrong with that. You'd be surprised how even at a crappy job you can develop transferrable skills.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

lol, yea i'm not a new college graduate. I agree with TinyGiant that communications is a cop out degree, 90% of what i focused on in school was public relations stuff, which is fun.

Oh, I hate journalism. only had to take 1 college class on it, and that was too many, it turned into creative journalism for me.

I currently live in florida. I tried, or technically I am still trying the entry level thing, it doesn't work when the economy fails and there is almost zero upward mobility, I work for a extremely large corporation atm, and the pay is below entry level imo, i was paid more in high school.

I'd love to get a job in politics, or in writing fiction in general. That is one of the avenues I am trying to figure out.

I'd take retail management atm. It pays a heck of a lot more than I make now. I was never really into the job as identity thing, I'd just like to earn enough money to have the ability to afford a hobby or two, something I really cannot do now.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
as far as going for manager positions start finding as many open manager positions and apply for them all and find one you like and take it. if you like retail .. get into it. be confident and outgoing. I find the thing that kept me from manager positions regardless of how well fitting the job was for me and the business..age tends to be a huge factor. problem really with working for anyone is the fact that people can inhibit your ability to get the job based on anything .. they dont feel you're old enough , shouldnt just start in the company in a high position.. its like everyone in a workplace is upset if you dont go through the same crap they went to to get to thier position. for this reason I usually seek out SMALL mom and pop stores i hate the corporate ladder. its a waste of time and is really based on brown nosing and egos lol

my wife and I work 2 days a week managing the pet store on friday/saturday then the rest of the week we work on out screen printing business and i do a ton of trading and bartering on craigslist for hobby money :)

a caution about doing what you enjoy for work.. make sure you really enjoy it because once it becomes a job.. you probably wont like it .. unless its a passion and not a hobby :)
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Wattz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
If you're looking into politics as a career, you might consider joining the military. I know, I know... It's not for everyone. But, look at where you stand already:

1. If you have your bachelor's or better, you'll enter the military as an officer. Officer's get paid decent money, and the opportunity for growth goes as far as your willingness to kiss ass.

2. The benefits are great. If you want to get your masters, or another bachelor's, whatever, the opportunity is there. Healthcare is thorough and guaranteed. You can live on base for free, or get an allowance to live off base.

3. Your career in the military is good for politics, and also teaches you A LOT about politics! Half of your military career is based on how well you fit into the hierarchy and use it to your advantage.

Don't turn your hobby into your work. Turn your DREAM into your work. For example, if your hobby is playing video games, don't become a video game programmer. But, if your dream is to build Mars rovers, become an engineer. It's easy to ruin your hobby or become bored by trying to turn it into a career. It's very hard to ruin a dream by pushing toward it. Worst case scenario is your dream doesn't come true, but you aimed so high that where ever you end up makes you comfortable.

If you consider the military, go for the Air Force. They want your willingness to learn and your ability to be trained, NOT whatever your degree is. Any degree is a huge advantage, but it doesn't have to be for the job you choose in the service.
Wattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I wish I thought of the military about a decade ago. It is a great way to get great experience. At this point though I am too out of shape, if not too old. But politics is much more than being a candidate. They all need speechwriters. Now that I could excel at.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
I been searching for a better job for over a year. In my field as a auto technician or service writer. There are NO jobs. Posting my resume on craigslist every week i get no calls or emails. Sometimes ill get a random one out of a blue for a job thats way out of the way and for less pay?! So right now im just happy that i have a job. Hopefully things get better. Few years ago u could walk into any shop and get a job if you were a good mechanic.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
the economy does have a lot to do with it, whether you feel you should be able to find a good job in this economy or not. I'm SURE you can.. keep at it.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
soft skills
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
lol

you want money ? immediately get any old stinking job, and save up for
Oracle DBA courses (maybe 3 to 5 grand for a 1 or 2 week course)

go to the bookstore and get all the oracle dba info you can and hit the books
and study hard. if your kung fu is strong (it is up to you, no one is holding you back)
you can be making 6 figures in 5 years. [you need to have a brain though....]

are you a bad enough dude to step up to the plate ?
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote