Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Taris

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 Door HB
Performamance Chips

Does anyone know anything about Performanace Chips? I understand that they are suppose to either increase your hourse power at the wheels or increase your gas mileage or both. I've seen them on ebay but frankly they sound to good to be true.
Taris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
There is no "chip" available for the Yaris. For most cars today "chips" are not used. Most cars today will either use a program to reflash the ECU or use a handheld programmer to modify the ECU.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i used lt1 edit on my camaro. and i had no problems with it. now, certain computers will set a 12v high on the ground pin for the ALDL connector, but that's a computer issue....

any way, it was easy. use a laptop with a program, hook up through obd port, run program...once program is up, it was as easy as a 3d picture of your air/fuel map and power ratings...or, a 2d setup that was a fuel, air, timing, and several other options. you can set timing, advance or retard timing, create several files and update at track for track fuel and then change it on the way home...whatever. the program was 60 bux and another 20 for the actual stock lt1 file to be edited. so less than a hundred and a laptop i bought off ebay for 100 bux. less than a handheld 'power programmer' from any major name brand.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
lol? Is there any reason everyone has danced around the actual question?

"Performance Chips" are just plastic casings with a single resistor inside. So no, they do nothing.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
There is no "chip" available for the Yaris. For most cars today "chips" are not used. Most cars today will either use a program to reflash the ECU or use a handheld programmer to modify the ECU.
Or.....I clip in "puck" that plugs in to the diagnostic port and overrides the ECU. ( I learned that in my book. )

Not helpful at all for the yaris. Just wanted to drop my newfound knowledge.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
My article on the subject:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...act-or-Fiction
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
We just need to get cobbtuning.com to make one for us.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Taris

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 Door HB
I should have known since I couldn't find anything about performance chips anywhere on this site that they were some type of rip-off. Thanks everyone!
Taris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I really wish ebay would ban these things like they do selling children or used underpants.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
severous01

i'm not talking 'chip'.

i'm talking ECU programming with enhanced fuel/air curve, timing change for premium fuel, top rev limit cut off (like the yaris needs it, but it's nice to know if i do a 2jz swap i'm good for the 200mph), and whatever else i want changed...an ECU flash if you will, that i can update at any time through the use of a laptop and an ALDL cable. a simple user-interface program will do nicely.

all it takes is breaking the toyota code...which i have no idea why it's so hard.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ because reverse engineering machine code is hard.

No one wants to spend months on it (at best) with no help from Toyota. Maybe someday, when the tuner market for this car is bigger.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
severous01

i understand. i wouldnt even have the patience to think about doing some code breaking. but, still, someone out there has to have knowledge and the willpower to spend countless hours on a program and then make a few bucks out of the deal for each sale. i'd pay a hundred bux for a program and 25 for each set of codes. a code for intake/exhaust, a code for head/cam, a code for s/c or turbo, and a code for nos or whatever...i'd pay the price as long as it wasnt rape
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
changing the map without changing intake, injectors, cam, pistons, and exhaust will
either A) not do jack or B) burn the motor up

it is possible to get amazing fuel economy without hardware, just engine maps...
but the valves will melt and cat will destroy itself, amongst other things

performance chips from ebay=scam. 75 bucks or less, scam city

carefully built and engineered parts, along with ECU programming = power or economy (very expensive)
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
severous01

i got almost 45 real horsepower out my camaro with a tune. no injectors or nothing...and when i got my injectors and i got my exhaust, stroked the engine, ported heads and all the other stuff i did...i continually upgraded the maps to reflect the upgrades.

here's the deal...as a base tune your timing is way off, so far retarded it's pathetic. so, with premium gas and a advanced timing, you could easily not only improve FE, but also increase power. so you get better power with deeper throttle and more economy with less throttle, all using advance timing and premium gas.

i'm not saying dump enough fuel to drown the cats, or lean it out so much you burn valves which is what you're saying...i'm saying advance timing so far that it requires premium gas. advance timing plus slower burning fuel adds more bang for the buck. quite literally.