Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
2manywheels

Drives: 09 YarHB
Simota SRI, change/mod or lose..?

Guys, We were on the dyno tonight and I had to put the stock airbox back on. The intake temp at the maf sensor got pretty hot. The intake pipe/filter etc. all warm from the engine bay.
Once I put the stock airbox back the temp came down almost 15 degrees.
But of course.. the stock box with the standard filter and the secondary one on the top of the box lid is VERY restrictive.
Any thoughts on modifying the Simota or should I just get a different intake?
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
I'm more of a fan with the CAI so I'm not sure what to tell ya. Take some pics maybe someone will see something wrong.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
how hot does it get?
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
2manywheels

intake pics and temp details

Not a great fit.

Temp gets around 50"C when its running hard.
If I open the hood its not as bad, but I don't drive like that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00032-20100614-1238 (Medium).jpg (77.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Having the filter right there, don't you have any issues with water soaking the filter when it rains? How would you say the filter is overall, does it hog your gas since it makes the car run richer? How does the car run with it?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
2manywheels

I haven't no. But.. I would expect that it would eventually. That is the only place it fits.
I couldn't manipulate it any other way to fit. There were no instructions with the install.
Richer? I have no idea. It was FAR more responsive than the stock. Mileage was no different that I could see since I installed more than a month ago(that being said.. I have a heavy foot.. )
Old 08-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
does it hog your gas since it makes the car run richer?
It doesn't make the car run richer; that would mean LESS power. It allows more air to pass, which will then have more fuel (controlled by the ECU to make the correct air/fuel ratio), and therefore make more power.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Thanks for the answers, really appreciate it! I meant to say does it lean it out alot? I said richer for some reason, sorry.

I guess my only other question is do you feel any lag or anything, like lost some power downlow?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

2manywheels, how did you measure the temperature at the MAF sensor?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
2manywheels

Notta.. it was great.. Just a pain because being a short intake, it pulls hot air from the engine bay.. Thereby etc..etc..
yeah yeah.. I think I am done working for the night. I just about typed " it pulls hot hair"
Glad I caught that one!
2mw
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
2manywheels

Have the Scan Guage running,plus they had a sensor around the intake tube(where the MAF sensor is) it was giving -2 or 3 degrees from what the Scanguage was showing
Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
" it pulls hot hair"
hee hee....
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
2manywheels

Garm: I know.. I know.. I was getting tired..
So.. Any suggestions?? Is there a longer tube you can get that will work with the simota ??
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't there a filter inside the carbon fiber wrapped canister? If there is why 2 filters? Yes they have an L connection that will drop the filter down. I have it but didn't bother installing.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
im gonna check how hot the cf box simota intake gets on my driving..
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
2manywheels

Klink, There isn't anything inside of this Simota(might be the other version they make) I am trying to find some of the silicone hose locally to try and route it down and into the frontal area of where the driving lights would go.. but.. finding it local in less than a week.. :( No dice!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Maybe u can leave the air filter there and connect a flexible tube ( u can get it at any pepboys/wetsrn auto/autozone) to the filter and have the flexible tube strecht up to the fog light ( near it) near the place the CAI puts the air filter.

I made my Intake (ghetto/homemade) and did this to mine cause it rains like crazy out here so streets are constantly getting flooded so I CAN'T risk it. And It has worked fine, maybe another CAI might work better but the ghetto Intake help me reach the 107whp so something should work
Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
2manywheels

flexible metal or aluminum?? I will try a few places here if thats the case. No Pepboys or autozone here.. lol.
I hate rushing things and have a track day lined up for next week.. :(