Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Willing to Buy by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
WTB: ECM connectors(car side) + ECM male connector(ECM side)

Just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anybody has a the parts I need to have a plug and play made for my Emanage Ultimate. 500.00 from Boomslang is a little over the top IMO(that's my opinion, it's not open to debate, so save your brain power and finger strength for something else).

I also cannot just splice them in since I'm red/green color deficient so it makes it impossible for me to see some of the subtle differences in some of the wire colors...I can get away with a lot, but that's just too many wires and too many chances to make a mistake.

PM me with what you have.

THANKS!!

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Good luck... When we had our PNP made (not by Boomslang) we were told the connectors are crazy expensive and not easy to source.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The female side comes off of an engine harness and the male side comes off of an ECM.

ECMs can be purchased for as little as $25 if you hit them right on eBay or at a junkyard (I have never paid more than $50 for an ECM {and, yes I have bought about half a dozen over time for various experiments}).

Harnesses are trickier. There are two separate engine harnesses (terminating to each of the two ECM connectors). I caught one set off eBay for $80 each, but typically people ask $150 to $300 each for them. I bought one of the large connectors (the smaller one was already gone) from a junkyard that let me harvest it myself for $20.

There is actually a ton of labor in making the harness, since there are 36 connections on connector A21 and 63 on Connector C20. The AEM F/IC only makes a total of 23 connections to the harness, so to make a plug and play harness you solder 198 connections (63+63+36+36) to make the Male to Female "extension cable" and then 23 to then connect the F/IC to it.

So, after working with Adrian's Boomslang, I would say that the plug and play is nice, but is an incredible amount of labor in comparison to making 23 connections.

As for the colorblind piece; I never trust wire colors, but rather always follow pin position.

Edit: Actually 99, not 198 as long as you harvest the female side with enough wire still attached...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The female side comes off of an engine harness and the male side comes off of an ECM.

ECMs can be purchased for as little as $25 if you hit them right on eBay or at a junkyard (I have never paid more than $50 for an ECM {and, yes I have bought about half a dozen over time for various experiments}).

Harnesses are trickier. There are two separate engine harnesses (terminating to each of the two ECM connectors). I caught one set off eBay for $80 each, but typically people ask $150 to $300 each for them. I bought one of the large connectors (the smaller one was already gone) from a junkyard that let me harvest it myself for $20.

There is actually a ton of labor in making the harness, since there are 36 connections on connector A21 and 63 on Connector C20. The AEM F/IC only makes a total of 23 connections to the harness, so to make a plug and play harness you solder 198 connections (63+63+36+36) to make the Male to Female "extension cable" and then 23 to then connect the F/IC to it.

So, after working with Adrian's Boomslang, I would say that the plug and play is nice, but is an incredible amount of labor in comparison to making 23 connections.

As for the colorblind piece; I never trust wire colors, but rather always follow pin position.

Edit: Actually 99, not 198 as long as you harvest the female side with enough wire still attached...

Oh, just 99?

In that case....

I didn't think about using the pin location vs wire color, is there a diagram somewhere that I can use to determine what's what? If it saves that much work and money, and I can do it myself without having to guess it's probably the best route...it would speed up my install considerably.

On the other hand I did find the components I need locally, if I had an idea of the labor cost I could more readily determine which direction I should take. Hopefully a wise and powerful electronic wizard will send me a PM with an estimate.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This should help quite a bit:

Yaris ECM.pdf
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli