Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Pitfalls in replacing OEM tires?

My original OEM tires for my Yaris Hatchback are worn out. The original tires are 175/65R14 81S. I've done a lot of research and I think I want to replace the old tires with Hankook Optimas H727 size 185/65 R14.

Is there anything I should watch out for in changing the size slightly like this? If I go to a regular tire place, rather than the dealer, do I have to worry about the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) being set correctly?

Some places offer free wheel alignment or a free wheel alignment check with a tire purchase. Is this free wheel alignment or alignment check a good deal? Are the wheels on a Toyota Yaris Hatchback usually misaligned?

Any other advice?

Thanks,

RMcG
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
The reviews for the Hankooks are AMAZING online. Many people recommend them although I have no personal experience. You don't really need to watch out for anything at all like rubbing with that size if you are still on stock suspension. Your speedometer might be faster/slower...check it out here using this: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

When getting new tires, nothing has to be done to the TPMS. The TPMS are on the wheels and don't need to be touched or set up again unless you plan on getting new wheels too. All they have to do is take off the old tires, put on the new tires, and air them up. No worries there.

No clue about the free alignment things but my 2008 sedan's right rear tire is off camber or toe(can't remember) from hitting a curb and they can't be adjusted unless you get shims.. I decided to just live with it. I don't notice or feel anything different and just keep up with my tire rotations.
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Thanks Vang. The speedometer calculator at the link you sent indicates that the speedometer will show a speed of 2.2% less than with the original OEM size. So at 71.5 mph, the speedometer will be reading 70 mph, no big deal. For a trip of 817.6 miles, the odometer will read 800 miles, again, no big deal.

Can hitting a curb with your front tire knock the front wheel out of alignment on a Yaris?

Does anybody have any experience with either the Hankook Optimo H727 (185/65 R14) or the Hankook Mileage Plus II H725 (175/65 R14)?

Thanks,

RMcG
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
T

Can hitting a curb with your front tire knock the front wheel out of alignment on a Yaris?

RMcG
um, yeah. All cars can go out of whack or severely out of whack when
hitting curbs. sometimes you can bend things too.

it all depends on how you hit it and how hard.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Is there anything I should watch out for in changing the size slightly like this? If I go to a regular tire place, rather than the dealer, do I have to worry about the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) being set correctly?

RMcG
well i recently got new tires just slightly bigger than stock 195/55/15 and when i got them back all was well for about a month then i aired them up and now my tpms dash light is on fuggin suggs balls but whatever eventually ill check it out but none of the tires have lost air so maybe one of the sensors is broke
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
You'll have no problem whatsoever with 185/65/14's on stock wheels.

BTW, don't assume the Yaris speedo is accurately calibrated out of the box... because it certainly isn't.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote