Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
aris 2011 3-dr - front door install depth? Focal Utopia Be no 6.

Hey all.

Quite simply, those with a Yaris 2011 Hatch - I need your help.
I need to know if Im going to have trouble fitting Utopia Be (no 6 kit) speakers in the front doors, in regards to speaker DEPTH? (kit requires 72mm mounting depth)

I know the spoeakers are slightly OVER 6 1/2" in diameter, but this wont be a problem. Somebody did warn me about the mounting depth though.

Can anyone assist/confirm?

Here is the link for the mid-bass drivers in question
http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/pdfs/uto_Kit_No_6.pdf

Thanks in advance
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Utopia Be in Yaris.. awesome!!

With this type of speakers custom made podiums are a MUST!

Just curious what is your setup - hu, amplifers, interconnects, etc?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Damo,

You should be fine @ 72mm. I'm working with 78mm on my L6 SEs and just need a few mm of spacer.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Damo

Quote:
Just curious what is your setup - hu, amplifers, interconnects, etc?
Heya Tolmach.
The HU is an Alpine iDA-X305S (I didnt want CD as i dont use it anymore). Obviously, Im doing lossless rips wherever possible.
Ive only just sourced and installe the amps. Both are focal. One is the FP2.150LE and the other is a Focal FP1.800 (I couldnt find the LE model in the 1.800 - grr!)

These amps are new, but obviously not a current offering for Focal anymore - and I scoured EVERYWHERE! to find them.
They couldnt fit under the seats, so I had my installer customize a shelf which rest ontop of the spare tyre. I think its looks awesome!

The sub is a little tougher, as Yaris sizing can count a lot of the bigger ones out unless youre willing to customize the car, which is something Im not interested in doing. The Focal 27KX documentation recommends a box sizing that fits very nicely in a Yaris, so thats my plan.
Then of course, the Be's will go in and finally Ill be adding a processor - Likely the Alpine PXA-HA800, although there are a few new offerings which look interesting too, particularly fromn Arc Audio.

As Im a musician 2-4 nights a week, music is what I do and Im always in my car. Thats my attempt at justification for the amount Im spending ;)

It makes for a good hobby either way!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Interesting, thanks!

Please, post pics of a finished setup and give us your impressions (what you like, what you don't, and plans for the future)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Can't wait to see the install pics :)
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
it may not a direct place in with those speakers, but I would let the store to modifiy the door but not the speakers . with the amount you're spending with the Be kits, you should've gone with the dual monitor series amps and redo the whole trunk... I would take the spare tire out and make a sealed enclosure for the sub and put the amp one on each side... or if you need to keep the spare tire, you can always do a raised floor.. just my 0.2cents
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
Damo

^ Makes sense vten, but the FP series are still pretty awesome amps - and being that I change my car over every few years, I wasn't really interested in custom work. In fact, I'm deliberately trying to keep it as 'stock' as possible!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe its actually illegal to drive around without a spare tyre here (Western Australia)

I can visualize what you described though, and sounds like a clever setup.